I love these strings, but I've heard that they suck, however, nobody has told me why?
Do any of you know anything bad about EB strings?

I've had similar situations with Kurt Mangan Strings, too...
I loooooooove EB everything.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
maybe the people who tell you they suck don't know anything, or they're just cynical about everything. Since my local shop sells nothing but ernie ball, i can't exactly compare, but they sound just fine to my ears.
i think they have a certain feel, idk, i cant describe it, it just irritates my fingers
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
theyre pretty good. i think people just flame anything wellknown and mainstream just to be different. I used to use them, and never had any problem with them, but the shop i use doesnt carry the hyrbids to i buy curt mangans, which seem to keep that "new string ring" for a lil longer than EBs...theyre also cheaper, and a little more corrosion resistant IMO. according to the shop owner curt mangan acually designed for EB but left and started a solo company.
I've heard that they break easily and lose their "new" sound quickly (I've read this on reviews on musiciansfriend). I've never tried Ernie Ball strings, I mainly use d'addario
Ibanez Prestige RGA321SPB
I you like them, then who cares? I don't like them because they feel funny, and lose their new sound quickly.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
I love Ernie Ball Strings, they're great.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
i like my EB 10 gauges a lot. i bought 10 packs at the GC labor day sale @ $1.50 each. im down to like... 6 packs now..
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Everybody has different chemistry in their body oils, so some people's hands don't react well with the alloy used in EB srings.

I personally get better mileage out of D'addario strings, but not everyone will have the same experience.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Maybe because Ernie Ball strings are expensive in many places.

I use D'Addario and haven't played Ernie Balls yet...not really motivated to, either.
They don't have a good "snap" on them. Even when they're new, they just feel too floppy to me. And yeah, they feel weird and lose their tone quickly. The lack of tone that they started with, that is.

-Dan
If I were to switch to D-Addario 11's, which are nickel-plated steel, would there be a huge difference in playability?

I know they'd definitely be brighter, but I'm okay with that
I use them on my LP, I think they're pretty good.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
I like em they last longer than the fenders I was buying. One guy called em "floppy" I think thats why they call em slinkys. They do seem to bend easier than other brands. They are the same price as other strings at the store near me. I know some say they dont last long Im not sure how long that is. I rarely keep a set of strings on a guitar for 2 weeks. Im gonna go with daddarios as I can get em in packs of 10 and 25 for pretty cheap.
i find they lose their 'new string ring' pretty quick but thats precisely why i buy them. i record a lot of metal and need some mellow sounding strings that dont' have that piercing shriek to them when i slam on the overdrive.

edit: some ppl will say they suck, but thats strictly their own personal preference. i find that most of the strings are pretty much the same. unless you're buying different types of strings such as nickel plated steel, stainless steel, pure nickel, half rounds etc... then there's some large differences, but differences between brands are few. (exception for elixirs and their funny coatings)
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Oct 13, 2007,
They lose their newness in about an hour, feel really odd and rust after a few days. I prefer GHS, I've had a set on my Strat for 2 weeks now and they're about half as rusted as EBs would be, and they still sound quite new and bright. GHS are really my favourites, dead cheap too!
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Everybody has different chemistry in their body oils, so some people's hands don't react well with the alloy used in EB srings.

I personally get better mileage out of D'addario strings, but not everyone will have the same experience.

+1, I find Ernie Ball Strings just become uncomfortable a lot quicker and break more often. Never had any problems with D'addario
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
^^ +1

EB's are superb for the first day or two, but then they get all rusty. I had a pack of Curt Mangans on my strat, tone was nice and they felt great. So, a busy week at work and I didn't play 'till next weekend. All the strings were covered in rust from the bridge all the way to the tuners. I don't know what the hell happened. I prefer GHS, because they last long and they're the cheapest.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Quote by MrCarrot
They lose their newness in about an hour, feel really odd and rust after a few days. I prefer GHS, I've had a set on my Strat for 2 weeks now and they're about half as rusted as EBs would be, and they still sound quite new and bright. GHS are really my favourites, dead cheap too!

I dont know what planet your on but mine have been on my Strat for around 2 months and their isnt a hint of rust yet, the main reason is probably that i wipe my strings down after every time i have played
Quote by T0mi
I dont know what planet your on but mine have been on my Strat for around 2 months and their isnt a hint of rust yet, the main reason is probably that i wipe my strings down after every time i have played

If you say so. I know for sure that EBs go rusty on every guitar I've ever had them on in about an hour or two for me. Then they lose tone and start collecting dirt like mad. GHS last over 12 hours before they do that with me.
Quote by MrCarrot
If you say so. I know for sure that EBs go rusty on every guitar I've ever had them on in about an hour or two for me. Then they lose tone and start collecting dirt like mad. GHS last over 12 hours before they do that with me.

Never happened to me maybe you just have lots of moisture on your hands..
Quote by T0mi
Never happened to me maybe you just have lots of moisture on your hands..
My hands are actually very unsweaty. And like I said, GHS last considerably longer under the same conditions. I mean, I put new GHS on my Strat two weeks ago. Had a two hour performance, and an hour practice each day. They still sound relatively new, are pretty slick and staying in tune. D'addarios and Ernies under the same conditions, for me, just don't work well and wear out quick, losing tone and feel.
Quote by MrCarrot
My hands are actually very unsweaty. And like I said, GHS last considerably longer under the same conditions. I mean, I put new GHS on my Strat two weeks ago. Had a two hour performance, and an hour practice each day. They still sound relatively new, are pretty slick and staying in tune. D'addarios and Ernies under the same conditions, for me, just don't work well and wear out quick, losing tone and feel.

I don't now but I can get pretty sweaty hands and most of my strings (DR, EB, Martin, D'addario and Fender) tend to last for a while.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
you should just play the strings you feel most comfortable with, everyone has their own preferences, and you shouldnt listen to flamers, theyre just annoyed cos they cant get a decent sound out of anything

personally EB is the only way for me
SG commando

Inserts hilarious quote here
rotosound yellows are nice
when my guitar got repaired the guy put ernie balls on it so i just kept them on, theyre fine to me
I have ernie ball super slinkys on my guitar (been on for about 2 months) and the bass strings are still silver like they were when i put them on, however the higher strings have gone black. Still sounds fine thougn. I like how easy it is to bend them. I'm a beginner (the slinkys have been my first set) and as my fingers aren't particularly strong yet it is really nice to be able to do really extreme bends so easily. They also don't go out of tune often.
I use Rotosound pinks or yellows....UK made so they are cheap here, plus you get a n extra e string too. Got nothjing against EB's just prefer Roto's...
In my opinion, strings are strings. Just use them, there's not much difference. I just buy D'Addario because my guitar is set up to have a very specific gauge that I've only seen D'Addario make (9.5s).
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
The EB's that I just bought were cheaper than D'addarios,
strings are strings to me, Aslong as their 10's and don't rust easily (all th strings I'v tried haven't rusted one bit.)
They'll do for me
My Skinny Top Heavy Bottom's have been playing awesomely for... like. 6 months now? I know I should have changed them a long time ago. I have a whole other pack, but they don't sound any worse than they did when I first put them on, or at least not enough for me to want to change them.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
I tend to AB between EB and D'addario, but I find Ernie Ball strings tend to not be as crispy for as long as D'addarios.
They sound good, are pretty elastic compared to other strings, and are cheap... but they rust pretty easily too. For that reason I prefer D'Addario, which cost the same, sound a bit brighter, and last a lot longer and never break. The only EB I've really liked were the RPS, but since they're more expensive, I'll stick with my D'Addario's
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
I hate EB, I switched from them to D'Addario, then I tried DR pure nickel and those do it for me. I'll never go back. DR Pure Nickel 11's are the way to go. They cost a little more but last WAY longer, on one guitar I've had the same set on for around 6 months and they're still great.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Had EBs on my acoustic and HATED them. Sounded horrible. Elixir or Daddario for me.
G&L Legacy Special -> Line 6 TonePort GX -> Gearbox\GR2

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Is there a big difference in feel between pure nickel strings and and nickel-plated steel strings?
i use hybrid ernie balls...thats it...they are fine...no problems yet...
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by Schneiderman
I hate EB, I switched from them to D'Addario, then I tried DR pure nickel and those do it for me. I'll never go back. DR Pure Nickel 11's are the way to go. They cost a little more but last WAY longer, on one guitar I've had the same set on for around 6 months and they're still great.

thats the problem over here.
The only shops that I have seen sell them have charged over £10
which is over $20 per set