Hey there.

I have but two pedals at this moment: a Zvex Fuzz Factory, and a DigiTech Whammy Pedal.

Which is fine for me, but now that my band is kicking in, I need a LOT more tone flexability.

So, I scrounged up $300 to drop on pedals.

I want no matter what, an MT-2, and a preferably a good Distortion, and Overdrive Pedal as well.

I don't mind buying seperate but this caught my eye.

I looked into the Boss OD-20 Drive Zone, and it looked pretty legit. It features an MT-2 (the main pedal I wanted), an OD-1, DS-1, and others. Only thing is I've never got to play one because none of the stores here have them available to play.

I want some freedom, but not at the cost of $300 for just 2-3 pedals.

Is the Boss OD-20, or any Boss Multi Efftcts for that matter, good?

I will buy the single pedals if they have better tone and options, but if I can save a bit of money here I'd much rather do so.

Thanks INFINITELY,
Gear:
-Krank Krankenstein JR 50W
-Orange PPC112 w/ Celestion Vintage 30
-Gibson Les Paul Studio (white)
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
I have an ME-50 and I love it. It was about 300 bucks, though.
So good to see you once again.
I thought that you were hiding.
And you thought that I had run away.
Chasing the tail of dogma.
I opened my eye and there we were .
Hmm do you think the quality on the pedal sounds included in it is any worse than the single pedals themselves?
Gear:
-Krank Krankenstein JR 50W
-Orange PPC112 w/ Celestion Vintage 30
-Gibson Les Paul Studio (white)
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
I'd honestly have rethink about the MT-2. Theyre no good.
Gear
Good Guitars
Good Pedals
Good Amps

That is all.
I had the OD20 and the AVT100, didn't like it all on that amp man. All the models fell short of the real pedals imo, the TS model was the best, and even that was lacking. That pedal did not play well with that amp ime, it was either mud or icepicks. IMO, you only really need one good sounding overdrive or distortion pedal.

I'll give you my brutally honest opinion. I assume you are looking to play metal since you are set on the MT2, which is a distortion pedal by the way. I would keep your money, and sell the AVT, then pool it together for something better. A good high gain amp will be much better than an MT2 through the AVT. If you can pool around 500-600 bucks, you should be able to get into some decent setups.

what kind of music does your band play?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I think you're making bad choices on pedals.

The Metal Zone blows on all and any ways possible. Boss Overdrives are not that good also, better alternatives elsewhere.

What exactly do you want in your sound? The metal zone is a distortion, do you really want another? Are you entirely sure what the overdrive sounds like?

You might not want too think this way BUT 300 is enough money for just about 2 GOOD pedals, maybe 3 if you go used.

I can recommend any pedals you want but its important you determine what sounds you're exactly looking for, especially on the distortion pedal since they tend to vary.

Edit.
If you're looking to play metal then i concur with what the guy above me said. I would sell the AVT and you can get some great metal options with about 600$ like a used 5150 combo or a randall rg50tc. A b-51 at combo is also nice and cheap and is more versatile then any of those other amps.
Last edited by Chinomaster182 at Oct 13, 2007,
I'll put my bid in for a GT-8, but your amp is still rather limiting. I agree that the money would be better spent on a new amp. As far as the distortion qualities on the GT-8, side by side with my stock TS-9 I was able to dial in the same sounds on both the real thing and the GT-8 model. What you hear may be totally different. The Metal Zone model on the GT-8 is fully usable, much much better than the actual Boss Metal Zone pedal. Once again, your experience may be different. I'll also recommend you try a B-52 amp...I've heard a lot of great things about them from some tone heads I know, but I have yet to play one myself.
Quote by Chinomaster182

The Metal Zone blows on all and any ways possible. Boss Overdrives are not that good also, better alternatives elsewhere

that's not necessarily true. the Boss Blues Driver is an excellent pedal, transparent and responds to your picking beautifully. if you eq some more mids you can get a great tubey sound. don't be fooled by the title, its a very versatile pedal.

Quote by WenisWeasel

Is the Boss OD-20, or any Boss Multi Efftcts for that matter, good?

I will buy the single pedals if they have better tone and options, but if I can save a bit of money here I'd much rather do so.

it depends on what you want to achieve with your pedals. the ME-50 has it's good points and bad points. the distortions are pretty average, there's plenty to choose from but they're all supposed to imitate well known brands like the Tubescreamer, Rat, Blues Driver etc and they don't replicate them very well at all. for distortions, look elsewhere (buy singles, like the Boss Bluesdriver)
the wah is crap, forget about. so too the phaser. eeuurggh.
but the delays are excellent, first rate. and you can have up to 30 presets which is a big plus over single analog delay pedals. also, the tremolo & chorus are fine, the harmonist average but usable. volume pedal is handy, so is the tuner.
Last edited by Phillipa C. at Oct 13, 2007,
I have had my OD-20 Drive Zone for almost a year now and love it more and more. I got mine for $99 to boot by taking the display .

Chris
Boss ME-50. I have one and I love it. You can get them for around £150 I think
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
i have had quite a bit of experience with the ME50.

it has good quality effects, but the distortions are awful. the noise suppressor is also terrible, in the way that by the time its sufficiently turned up to where noise begins to be suppressed, it sucks all sort of sustain and tone.

what i find the worst feature of the amp is the EQ section. i dont understand why boss insisted on not having AT LEAST a 3 band EQ, but instead a "bottom" and "tone", which is both treble and middle. i found that i could get either really badly nasal and boxy mids, or "wasp in a jam jar" highs. no middle ground. you will not be satisfied with this pedal.

two i will put forward are the korg AX3000G, which i own (but is currently not working through my own stupidity, but has some serious tone, which is also the reason ive had the ME50 borrowed off of a friend and the reason i can tell you my views), and the Zoom g9.something-or-other. i have a strange hope that my AX3000 cant be fixed so i have an excuse to get my hands on a Zoom for some of its seriously awesome features and sounds. however, this is more expensive than the Korg, and possibly out of budget, depending on how much they go for in the US.

good luck with your search, and i hope you find the right one for you and dont just buy a boss ME50 blindly, only to be disappointed with the flaws in its design (i know i was).
Quote by doddsie_105
it has good quality effects, but the distortions are awful.

I like the distortions
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
I hate multieffects but if I had to use them it would be Zoom. The best sound would be a good all-tube combo and some analog stomp boxes. That AVT is holding you back, and if you compound the problem with multis you will get lost in the mix very quickly.
I have one of the boss od 20s it sits on a shelf alot. I found I was only using one maybe 2 of the settings. And when I used it with my tube amp choked the sound alot. It works decent with my little practice amp so I can switch from clean to distortion. And they are pretty battery hungry, also they dont work with the some of the multi power adapters. Ive found a good amp is the best way to go.
Quote by Tackleberry
I have one of the boss od 20s it sits on a shelf alot. I found I was only using one maybe 2 of the settings.

I had the same problem. I found that if back off the overdrive, all models sound really good. I was bad about "thinking" I needed tons of overdrive when in actuallity, I was over using it.

I can get almost anyone's tone...Slash (GnR version)...Cassic Rock...Country...et al.

Just my .02

Chris
Quote by uldhppi
I hate multieffects but if I had to use them it would be Zoom. The best sound would be a good all-tube combo and some analog stomp boxes. That AVT is holding you back, and if you compound the problem with multis you will get lost in the mix very quickly.

But with a better amp, one of the quality multis is a good option. Through both my Mesa Roadster and Fender Hot Rod, the GT-8 worked wonders.