Ok so I really like the Tom Delonge strat and I really love his sound but his guitar is discontinued so you can only buy it on ebay and craigslist wich I dont really like doing. I am wondering if its worth it to just customize a strat or by one off ebay or craigslist. I was wondering if you can buy all his parts though. He uses

A string-through-body hardtail and bridge. The body is non-veneered alder, and it has a maple neck with rosewood fingerboard.

large '70s Fender headstock

white perloid pickguard

single Seymour Duncan Invader pickup(bridge posistion)

Sperzel Locking Tuners

single chrome P-Bass volume knob with a 500k pot, and a black string guide

Baritone Telecaster necks on his guitars with no finish on the back of the neck, while his nut is a Graphtech nut with microscopic lubricants in it

I would be looking to make a guitar with most of that stuff. Can anyone start off with finding the right strat body and neck for me please cause those are the hardest for me to find.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Will_Minus

Which kind of raise some doubts about the feasability of such a project. All parts together will be more expensive than even an original Fender Tom DeLonge signature strat (which by the way are still not sold out everywhere. Just keep looking around). It will be a whole lot more expensive than a run of the mill Standard Strat that, with clogged up trem and played through the bridge pick up only, will sound pretty DeLongish already, but can also be used for a lot of other things that are impossible on a TDL-sig.
Trying to get an original example may be a practical option. Replicating one yourself isn't worth the trouble. His signature strat is in fact a fairly simple instrument with limited tonal possibilities and Tommy's stardom is rapidly fading too.
Last edited by Marcel Veltman at Oct 13, 2007,
I didnt think there would be any left in stores but I'll check around then when I go to look for guitars.
Well if you want to do it on the cheap, try to find a Squier Affinity Strat with a surf green paint job, buy a single humbucker pickguard, a 500k volume pot and a knob.
You can buy the latter three here , here and here.

You can buy the Invader online at www.warmoth.com

You can find the guitar at a instrument shop, or maybe even a pawn shop.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

i love the tom strat too, i made something like it in lefty.

i say make your own because your not gonna get one in stores
Last edited by carousel182 at Oct 13, 2007,
Quote by Will_Minus
Well if you want to do it on the cheap, try to find a Squier Affinity Strat with a surf green paint job, buy a single humbucker pickguard, a 500k volume pot and a knob.
You can buy the latter three here , here and here.

You can buy the Invader online at www.warmoth.com

You can find the guitar at a instrument shop, or maybe even a pawn shop.

Would this be pretty easy to do for someone who has never do any customizing before? I think this would be more fun and interesting than paying such a large amount of money for the real guitar (and any money I save is a good thing....)
Replacing the pickguard is easy as pie. The only difficult thing is when the screw holes don't line up, but filling the old holes and drilling new ones is pretty straightforward.

Wiring a new pickup in is more difficult, you'll need to buy a soldering iron. Radioshack has some soldering kits that will work great. You will want to practice soldering on an old radio or something like that, and then get a diagram online.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

I've been looking into this today and I definatly think I'm gonna do it, but its pretty hard finding a Fat Strat in surf green of daphne blue. It really doesn't matter that much but those colors are way sweeter than the black and metallic red and blue they make fat strats in. If it comes down to it I may have to change the color myself, though I guess that would be pretty risky.
Changing the colour isn't that hard, it's a bit of a long process though.

You don't need to find a fat strat, almost all Squires are routed for humbuckers in the neck and bridge.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Alright, thank you for the help. Mainly I wanted to use the Fat strat as a base just because it already has a neck with the vintage oversized headstock. I guess I shouldn't be so picky, but I thought it looks neat.
OK I've compiled a list of everything I need, but I really need to know: if I buy that Affinity strat, is it such a bad guitar that making the upgrades will be worthless and it will jsut sound completely horrible? I really want to have a guitar like this since I already have a very nice epiphone Les Paul Jr reissue and an Epiphone Dot. Plus I've never done any modding like this and I think it would be fun to do. Any opinions before I start buying the parts?
My Random Gear:

-Epiphone Dot
-Epiphone `57 Les Paul Jr. Reissue
-Epiphone AJ-200 Acoustic
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-DS-1 Distortion
The body itself is good. The electronics are probably crappy, and the tuners and trem could use replacing, but the latter is not necessary.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says: