Hi guys, I was just playing around with my guitar, and I just realised something... fredolutionarararary!

Each time I was picking a note, it gave me a different noise, it seems to vary from fret to fret (see attatched), but they all have at least 17 different notes (most common result was 14), each of theme eggs-creamly (extremely for you who don't partake in the patois of the Imperial City of Great London Town Centre) different, resulting in extra tones.

Or, in diagram;
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 5 6 7

(For comparison, concert pitch A exists roughly halfway between the middle two ie 7.5 looking at the average; on the scale black - uninumerable, blue - average, red innumerable)

Anyways, this got me thinking.

Surely I've realised a new potential here. Instead of using octaves of 12, I can use octaves of 168 (12 * average notes per fret)

Think of all the riffs!

Thanks for listening guys, sorry it got a bit scientific.

Maybe you could tell me if you've noticed this, or if you'd like to say what you think.

Cheers, BrianApocalypse
Last edited by BrianApocalypse at Oct 13, 2007,
soooo, you found in between notes? or you found out what overtones are? seriously, what?
I was just messin around on mine and i found the 4th possible octave with a 22 fret guitar

octave 1: open string
octave 2: 12th fret fingered/harmonic
octave 3: 5th fret harmonic, directly over front pickup harmonic
OCTACE 4: 17th fret harmonic (barely audible, but its there)

well, thats my rambling about useless nothingness for now
Quote by icon_player_5
I was just messin around on mine and i found the 4th possible octave with a 22 fret guitar

octave 1: open string
octave 2: 12th fret fingered/harmonic
octave 3: 5th fret harmonic, directly over front pickup harmonic
OCTACE 4: 17th fret harmonic (barely audible, but its there)

well, thats my rambling about useless nothingness for now

oh, harmonics, yeah those dont create new notes, but they do have a different tonality
It probably not as big a deal as I thought it was, you'll have to excuse my behaviour at the time as I was off my tits.

But I realised that every time you fret a note, it's never the same note at all, and nobody has ever played the same note on a guitar as anyone else, it's always slightly out.

So, in theory, you could have scales with intervals of less than a cent, less than a Hz - it's just that people would not be able to get their heads around them.
you could always defret your guitar and have every single cent of each note then available to you that way.
Quote by Kivarenn82
you could always defret your guitar and have every single cent of each note then available to you that way.

you could do the same thing with a slide i suppose, if I am understanding the TS properly....
I don't get it

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

He means the pitch shifting that occurs when too much pressure is applied when fretting a note.

Which is the EXACT same thing as a small bend.
"A guitar is just like a hard teddy, isn't it?" - DAAAAAAAN BAKER