I'm buying this off craigslist tommorow (if it feels good playing it when I go to try it out) for 40$ with a free case. I intend to put in one of these to replace that single coil after I route the guitar to fit and reshape the pickguard and such as well as replace both of the pots and tuners

I would imagine this would work well alone... But I don't know enough to answer these questions:

1. If this guitar has a chambered body, can I still route it for a humbucker?

2. The pickup has four wires, is it possible to coil tap it to a rocker switch?

3. Is it possible to wire a kill switch to a rocker switch?

4. Would the vintage style string holders on the head effect the sound quality or sustain?

5. Is it true that a bridge pickup won't sound as good at the neck position or in the middle than at the bridge?

MOST IMPORTANTLY: It's a little hard to tell from the picture, but the cutaway is actually BIGGER on the side where my hand should be, cutting off fret access at 17/21 frets. If I was to deepen the cutaway or cut off a good chunk of the horn/side, would I cause significant damage or effect the tone significantly? (assuming this isn't a chambered body, and assuming I refinish it.)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HELPING.
My current ghetto setup:

Crate VC508 (Needs new speaker and pots BADLEY.)
Fender R15
Peavey T-60
Original LPB-1
BBE Sonic Maximizer (rack)
Last edited by Thelastrilo at Oct 13, 2007,
Well... This'll be unique at least..
My current ghetto setup:

Fender R15
Peavey T-60
Original LPB-1
Sorry to bump, but this is a little important

EDIT: yeah. I'm on a bit of a time table..
My current ghetto setup:

Fender R15
Peavey T-60
Original LPB-1
Last edited by Thelastrilo at Oct 13, 2007,
It sounds like you'll buy it anyway and for $40, you can't go wrong ... so take my comments as best guesses. When you post pics without the PG, the savvier builders here can give you better advice.

1. If this guitar has a chambered body, can I still route it for a humbucker?
That depends on how much wood is available. A luthier in the Telecaster forum had to install a Mahogany block to a thin Maple veneer just to support the control plate and pots. You can probably do the same for the Humbucker you plan to install.

2. The pickup has four wires, is it possible to coil tap it to a rocker switch?
You're probably thinking of Coil Split, as in emulating a Single Coil. As far as rocker switch, let's wait for PU geeks to chime in.

3. Is it possible to wire a kill switch to a rocker switch?
*pages wiring geeks*

4. Would the vintage style string holders on the head effect the sound quality or sustain?
Probably, but also, probably won't be that noticeable.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: It's a little hard to tell from the picture, but the cutaway is actually BIGGER on the side where my hand should be, cutting off fret access at 17/21 frets. If I was to deepen the cutaway or cut off a good chunk of the horn/side, would I cause significant damage or effect the tone significantly? (assuming this isn't a chambered body, and assuming I refinish it.)
As far as damage: that depends on your woodworking skills.
As far as the tone: probably not.

Good Luck and post better pics when you get it!

Quote by Ippon

As far as damage: that depends on your woodworking skills.
As far as the tone: probably not.

I wouldn't be so sure about this. Having seen a few SG's with necks ripped off I figure that the wood usually seen along the neck on the side of the horn actually does a lot to support the neck. In this respect this guitar has some resemblance with the double cutaway SG design and already lacks a lot of wood around the neck pocket. I wouldn't be too eager to shave off more material there.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
I wouldn't be so sure about this. ...

You're probably correct, which is why I posted:
Quote by Ippon
... so take my comments as best guesses. When you post pics without the PG, the savvier builders here can give you better advice.

Good Luck and post better pics when you get it!

Yeah.. Sorry, I ment coil split.

Sucks about the fret access tho.. But anyone that could help me with the wiring part would be greatly appreciated..
My current ghetto setup:

Fender R15
Peavey T-60
Original LPB-1
That GFS pickup is splitable, why don't you just use a push/pull knob? I did that with GFS PAF and it works great. Also, you might want to make the humbeker cavity closer to the bridge, if you have acsess to a router.
Well, my original idea was to put it slanted in the middle/neck area..

Which reminds of another question I had (first post updated)

and I just think the switches would be neat to make it unique -_- It dosen't have to be like that.
My current ghetto setup:

Fender R15
Peavey T-60
Original LPB-1
Dude, I don't know, I wouldn't take anything off the cutaway. You'll have to refinish it to make it look good at all.

The strings trees on the headstock shouldn't affect tone in anyway. They may affect tuning stability...So be prepared to use something like Guitar Grease or Big Bends Nut sauce to lubricate it.

And people generally don't use bridge pickups in the neck because they usually make bridge pickups with a higher output. The neck position doesn't need a high output pickup because the strings ring more freely in that position.
I'm willing to refinish... but would this effect tone or stability?

I'd like more opinions.. Also, this guitar has "vintage tuners" The kind with all the tuners mounted on a single plate. This would need to be rerouted for say.. Gotoh tuners right?
My current ghetto setup:

Fender R15
Peavey T-60
Original LPB-1
Heh. Well I already got it. For 40$ it was no problem. My other question is that plywood would be layers of other kinds of wood right?

Is it possible that this has layers of different types of quality wood? Like when they say "alder/mahogany mat" or whatever on cheapy guitars like epiphones..
My current ghetto setup:

Fender R15
Peavey T-60
Original LPB-1
Huh. Gotcha. If I understand that it also effects the tone...

Meh.

Anyway, thanks for the help, and i get that lots of cheapy guitars are good, specially when you upgrade them.

Now I just need wiring help -_-
My current ghetto setup:

Fender R15
Peavey T-60
Original LPB-1
Heh. But I ment wiring questions about this kind of wierd stuff:

"2. The pickup has four wires, is it possible to coil tap it to a rocker switch?

3. Is it possible to wire a kill switch to a rocker switch?"

Also, I'm almost certain it's ply. One of my friends told me to look under the pickguard to see what kind of wood it was.

I have no clue what the kinds are, but there are different shades of wood (ranging from light to dark brown) that are seemingly glued together.
My current ghetto setup:

Fender R15
Peavey T-60
Original LPB-1
Mu. Sorry to be useless, but I have no idea. If you could suggest something (whatever the hell I'll end up picking up from my local hardware store) then I'll be happy... and if it's even possible.

Also, I checked, the humbucker has 4 wires for coil split.. I just have no clue how to do this.
My current ghetto setup:

Fender R15
Peavey T-60
Original LPB-1
Ok.... I think I see what you're getting at. I looked up the types of switches, and from what I understand, (combined with what you're telling me...)

I'd need a DPDT switch like so: radioshack
to coil split, but just to ask, could I use an on/off button SPST switch like this
for a kill switch? It seems to me that just by cutting off the circuit it would work..

Correct me if I'm wrong.
My current ghetto setup:

Fender R15
Peavey T-60
Original LPB-1
Hah... Looks like I'm going to need help from my shop teacher for this one -_-

but from what I understand, you connect the killswitch (in my case, a SPST) to the volume pot..

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but couldn't I just sodder this in between the output jack and whatever the other cable is to sever the circuit?
My current ghetto setup:

Fender R15
Peavey T-60
Original LPB-1