How do you figure that out? I've just got hold of a cabinet & head and so I need to know if my bass is an active or passive one, but I'm pretty much a complete n00b when it comes to hardware spec. etc.

cheers,
-sc00t
www.myspace.com/theshimsband
question 1. how does owning a half stack mean you now have to know whether your bass is active or passive?

question 2. does your bass have a battery in it?
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Yargh lad, if it be taking batteries, then it be an active instrument!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
If you told us what your bass was or gave us a picture at least then that would help us greatly, this just seems like a plug for your band right now.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
question 1. how does owning a half stack mean you now have to know whether your bass is active or passive?

my friends bass amp has 2 inputs: passive and active.
so u need to know the difference
My amp has 2 inputs, as above (Laney G300 Amp Head). The pickups on my bass don't use batteries, so I presume it's passive?

If I plug it in to the wrong input will I be damaging the speaker at all (and indeed how will I know if I've plugged it in to the wrong input?)

-sc00t
if you don't know whether your pickups are active or passive, they're probably passive.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Nay lad. If ye be plugging into the wrong input nothing will happen.

Ye'r bass is a passive one though.

Enjoy
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Ok if there's no batteries it's passive. The active input has a higher impedance to compensate for the volume difference between an active and passive bass I think, it may prevent damage to the speaker/preamp too but I'm not an amp expert. If you plug a passive bass into the active input it will be much quieter anyway.

What half stack have you bought then?

EDIT: Just saw, Laney G300, cool, Laney are good.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
It was a Laney 4x10 richer somethingorother (lol) with a Laney G300 amp head (which I got for free from a friend.)

Thanks for everyones help, especially nutter_101 (mainly because I <3 pirates.)

-sc00t
Quote by sc00t
My amp has 2 inputs, as above (Laney G300 Amp Head). The pickups on my bass don't use batteries, so I presume it's passive?

If I plug it in to the wrong input will I be damaging the speaker at all (and indeed how will I know if I've plugged it in to the wrong input?)

-sc00t

if you plug an active bass into the passive input and cranked it up then you could damage the amp but plugging a passive into the active input won't do anything, your bass will just come out quieter. the only difference between the two inputs is the active input cuts roughly 10db from the signal to make sure that an active bass will come out at the same volume as a passive bass

and as the guy above said, chances are if you don't know whether its active or passive then it's probably passive because actives will require a battery change eventually and you notice how the sound quality gets really bad when the battery is low
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Edit: didnt see last post but yeah yours is passive
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50