Hello, im in a bit of a pickle at the moment. I am on the borderline of what to buy. I have been playing guitar for probably just over year now, (which is going quite well i think, people who have been playing 2 + more yrs then me have said im better then them already... heh lol), on an acoustic Yamaha and a squier strat (black + chrome ver), and im quite interested in playing Bass guitar.

Now heres where im getting into a bit of trouble in deciding, so i was hoping people who have more experience in the whole subject could help with. I dont know if i should upgrade my strat for a better guitar, for one with humbuckers (probably an epiphone SG), and play guitar for a few more years before trying to expand how much i can play.

Or should i go and buy a bass and amp and increase the amount i can play now, as the style of playing is very different to guitar? Just how big of a change is it to play bass? I need as much as information as possible to come to a final decision.

Cheers, (sorry for the text wall).
The thing is that the bass is a different instrument from a guitar, and should be treated and played as such.

Thereofre, whatever you'll decide, it wouldnt get you any better on the other instrument.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
i'd say stick at guitar because you haven't been playing long and thus if you get a bass you'll neglect to play guitar during the honeymoon period* and your skills will start to slip

*honeymoon period - the period of time after buying a piece of gear where you think it's the best thing in the world. can last anywhere from 2 days to a month
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by BassistGal
The thing is that the bass is a different instrument from a guitar, and should be treated and played as such.

Thereofre, whatever you'll decide, it wouldnt get you any better on the other instrument.

that said, ive played guitar since i was 4, and the transition from guitar to bass was really smooth. just the knowledge of the fretboard is a massive help.
Bass is a formidable instrument to play, it's largely a strength skill, so yeah you have to treat it as said up there differently