Poll: Which 7 String Guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which 7 String Guitar?
Ibanez RG1527 with EMG 707s
7 14%
Ibanez RG1527 with Bareknuckles
14 28%
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature Model
11 22%
Ibanez UV777P Universe
11 22%
Other? (please post)
7 14%
Voters: 50.
Ok, I'm DYING to buy a seven string guitar.
For playing mostly prog stuff etc, Dream Theater, Nevermore, Outworld, To-Mera, Meshuggah.
I'd like it to have a tremolo.
I'd like it to be able to have the most bone crushing tone for riffing and also an amazing lead tone, which can handle legato and tapping well with clarity and have great sustain and vibrato. Nice cleans would be great too.
The current lineup for me to choose from are;

Ibanez RG1527 (add EMG-707 set)
Ibanez RG1527 (add Bareknuckle pickup set)
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature
Ibanez UV777P

If you know any others then please suggest some (not the Musicman John Petrucci model as that costs wayyy too much :P)
The UV is going to be the best, but you have to accept the fact that you're not getting value for money. It's better than the others you've listed, but not as much better as the extra costs involved in getting it.

The 1527 is a fine guitar, so that's what I'd recommend if you want great value.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by pht
what about prs?

mm..prs do not make a 7 string in their commercial stock..
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
RG with Bareknuckles, isn't that what Chris Broderick used before he got his custom? Sounds amazing, and EMG's don't really work well in basswood.

EDIT: Wouldn't the RG with Bareknuckles run you about the same as the Petrucci? Bareknuckels aren't cheap.
Dickless.
Last edited by MetalMilitia212 at Oct 13, 2007,
Carvin DC747. Tony McAlpine plays them, easily the best value for money 7 string out there.

plus, you can get your choice of woods, stainless steel frets, coil splitters, and a plethra of colour options.

http://www.carvin.com/gallery/guitargallery.php?ItemNumber=DC747

http://www.carvin.com/products/guitar.php?ItemNumber=DC747
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
If you don't need a middle single then 1527 + BKP gets my vote.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by godofshred
Ibanez RG1527 with Bareknuckles by FAR
same quality as the newer UV's, and bkp sound great.

Really?

Also, to others recommending the RG, don't you guys think the S series (forgot the model number) provides a more authoritative "chug"?

I have an older RG 7620 and use .062 (or is it .064?) gauge to come close to the S series with the thinner .05X gauge. Basswood or Alder vs. Mahogany, etc., so I suppose it's preference?

Quote by Ippon
Really?

Also, to others recommending the RG, don't you guys think the S series (forgot the model number) provides a more authoritative "chug"?

I have an older RG 7620 and use .062 (or is it .064?) gauge to come close to the S series with the thinner .05X gauge. Basswood or Alder vs. Mahogany, etc., so I suppose it's preference?

really, the universe is tbh..a tarted up rg1527 IMO, the neck profile isnt that much different at all.
the rg give you chug..oh yes...LOTS of chug...
the ibanez+bareknuckles sounds bitchin'. of course i'm sure the stock emgs are fine.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by Ippon
Really?

Nope, S series are very bland guitars. I have an S470 and I can't wait to change.
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
Nope, S series are very bland guitars. I have an S470 and I can't wait to change.

I believe erock has the same model and it was beastly. I remember the chug on my friend's S series with thinner gauge, but t hen it could've been due to his H&K amp.

Carvin DC 727 or 747. Ibanez necks kill my wrist, I prefer carvin necks. They're a bit thicker.

With carvin you're getting a custom guitar for about $350 less than a new UV777 and about the same price as an Ibanez RG1527 with Bareknuckles.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio