Page 1 of 2
Engl E530 Guitar Preamp Redux:

NOTICE: I wrote this thread before I knew sh*t about tone or tube amps. In retrospect, I find that the the Engl E530 tends to be ice-pick-ey and lacks tone. Yes, it has TONS of gain, but no tone. It pales in comparison with almost any other tube amp for tone. Through any tube power amp, the E530 sounds much better, but I still prefer any of my "real" tube amps to my Engl now. My apologies to those I may have mislead.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at May 1, 2008,
haha, sweet. most of the engls do have gain out the ass, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Im looking into getting that pre amp myself!

Its relitively cheap for an Engl name like!

Glad you like it!
Great man. I was looking into it myself and now I'm gonna get this preamp for sure. But, ummm, I didn't understand one thing: with the built-in cabinet emulator, you'd still have to connect it some kinda speaker for the actual output, right (yea I'm a bit n00bish when it comes to gear =$)? So what did you connect it to? And your mixer's connected to your PC, right? (I feel SO n00bish!)
Quote by buckethead_jr
I didn't think they had metal in the 1790's

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
Glad youre so F*KIN happy!
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I just checked the Engl site, and it says that this preamp actually has four channels. How good are the cleans on this preamp?
Quote by buckethead_jr

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
Congrats man. I'm not too savvy with ENGLs but you're happy, and at least its good for you.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
The higher you have the volume the more the bass frequencies come out. It has something to do with how your ears percieve sound.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I guess this preamp would be the answer to all those "cheap metal tube amps?" threads that spring up here all the time. Damn, I'm seriously GAS-ing for one. ='S
Quote by buckethead_jr

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
*claps*

*goes back to playing through his ENGL Invader*

They're ****ing good amps.
I'd really be interested in hearing what it sounds like on a good metal rhythm, something like Lamb of God or something. It's peaked my interests a few times so I've been waiting for someone to make some clips
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Tagged for later viewing.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Well I wasn't so much just talking about Lamb of God type stuff (as I really don't listen to them much anymore), but more the style of rhythms (jumping between the 6th string and other strings back and forth, instead of just chords, etc.). I'll have to go check out that clip, I don't think I've actually listened to the clips of the E530 before.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
thanks for posting a clip man. Think you could do one with just a simple rhythm chug?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
cool, thanks bro. Sounds pretty good man, I like it better than the recto pre I had doing DI.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
If you have the cash man, may want to check out some palmer cab simulators too. Not saying get it over that amp, but sounds like you have some loot, and they are a real handy unit. They can really add some thump to your DI recordings. I just made a clip the other day with the palmer, no cab, on a Krankenstein head. It's the first clip in my profile. It's the PDI09, same filters as the PGA03, but no load box, so a lot cheaper. I already had a hotplate to use as a load.
amp clips
amp vids
Thanks man.

that's my C-7 guitar, into a Maxon OD808 for the lead, into the Krankentstein head, then into the Palmer PDI09.

The palmer has an XLR out, and a "thru" for adding the cabinet or load. I have the XLR out going into the line in recorder on my GNX4, and the thru goes to a hotplate set as "load".

The PGA03 and 04 have a load box built in, but they are a lot more than the PDI09. I'm going to get a Weber stereo mass to use as a load actually though, so I'm probably selling the hotplate. I want to see if having a real speaker motor as a load will make any difference. I'm not going to sell the hotplate though until I hear it.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by LEVEL4
Duh. Just re-read your post. So it was your guitar through the Krank, through the Palmer, then into the DI/DAW? What AD/DAs are you using? Anything exotic?

yeah, nothing exotic except the palmer, the recorder is a Digitech GNX4 multi fx. It has an 8 track recorder and a MIDI drum machine though, so that's what I use for recording.
amp clips
amp vids
yeah, it's the same filters as the PGA03, which is the box they've brought back into production from popular demand. Before they reissued it, they were on eBay for like $1000, lol. The put it back into production because people preferred it over the PGA04.
amp clips
amp vids
no problem man. it was actually riffhog that turned me onto them, so you can thank him.

no experience with the H&K, but they are a good company, and it "looks" like a very cool unit on paper. Does that have a load box built in?
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Oct 15, 2007,
do you have a loadbox/attenuator already? It's VERY handy if you want to do silent recording, otherwise you need to use a speaker cab hooked up. Actually though, since you're only using a preamp, you wouldn't need a load box, my bad. The palmer does have a setting for using a preamp too though, there is an attenuator switch, so you would just set it to 0dB for a preamp. I run my poweramp into it, so it's at full attenuation for me. I dunno about the 1.5W amp built in though, does that need a speaker load?
amp clips
amp vids
Ah ha another lucky UG member has seen the E530 light. Im still getting to know what sounds can be coaxed out of it but iv had everything from shimmering clean through marshal crunch to metal rhythm to balls out lead tones. Im really happy with mine.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Oh yeah crunch was relativly easy to get. I went with channel 2, gain switch on low, contour on, gain dialed to around 10 o'clock and then rolled back the volume on my guitar till i got what I wanted to hear then Eq'd to my tastes. This was with my Ibanez and the Paf pro in the bridge position. These pickups thin out somewhat when you roll back the volume. Oh and the poweramp im using is running flat out.

Il have to try this on some of my other guitars to get a feel for an overall setting I like and let ya know.
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

This is my effects chain.

Guitar -> 535Q wah -> Whammy -> Engl E530( XT live in effects loop ) -> Atomic 112.

This allows me to use the XT live as a regular effects processor with the Engl (amp models off) Then if I want to use the XTs amp and cab models I just use the nifty preamp defeat button and the XT is then direct routed to the atomic. I like this way of working alot. I still need to experiment with the xt pre and post the engl but for now its working really well
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

That would certainly be a nice way of adding reverb to the situation. Just run the modulation, delays and reverbs in the effects loop for the best results.

If you run that into the front end of the engl then any gain on the preamp will be added to the effects you run which trust me sounds terrible. I suppose you could run the effects after the engl and before any amplification and that might be kinda like running in the loop.

My main gripe is that with the xt live in the effects loop I loose the wahs and distorsion pedal models as they sound horrible and tinny in the loop. Although saying that its only really the wah im bothered about. If I diddnt have the cybaby id be a little stuck as it is.

My next experiment is going to be trying the amp models on the pod to change the character of the engl a bit and to open up new possibilites. Il try using the models with little to no gain on them and see how it works later on when i get home from work.
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Hey dudes, im looking at e530's right now as a replacement for my 5150. I play alot of speed/power metal with my band in live settings and at home as a bedroom shredder. The 5150's tone for soloing is seriously awesome when its cranked in a venue or a jam space but really is looser than a *****s **** when it comes to tight riffing and speed/alternate picking. I haven't actually had a chance to jam on an e530 and for the dudes who own em i wanna know how 'tight' the attack is on em. Alot of tube amps really drags their asses when it comes to fast playing with exceptions of course like the powerball and certain randalls. I heard this e530 is awesome for speed metal. what do u guys think?
poserdisposer:

I may not be the best judge for "speed metal" attack, but the pick attack seems pretty faithful to me. Maybe I just don't play well enough, or well-defined enough, to tell (I'm a little sloppy when I play fast). But, the lead sound out of the Engl is really sweet. Real easy to pull off harmonics, too. Do a Google search, and you'll find a couple dealers here in the U.S. that actually offer a short return policy if you don't like it. As I said, muted chords lack a wee bit of low end, but that's probably just becasue I've got so much high-end gain up all the time. A cabinet emulator (like the Palmer PDI-09 above) would shore that up fine, I bet.

Let me put it this way . . . this is by far the best thing for metal I've ever heard. It's almost 4:00AM here on the west coast, and I've been wailing away all night. Full-out, max-gain, tube-distortion, at low volume, all playing softly through my Yamaha studio monitors—sweet!
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 16, 2007,
Now try running it in a full rack, then you'll experience some true tone. The other guitarist in my band has one in his rack, brilliant piece of kit, reacts really well with my rig as well. Run it through a nice power amp and your all sorted.
I'm sure running it through my 1960a cab with a mesa 50/50 would give the tone some nice bottom end. Basically what i want out of it is solid state tightness but with tube tone, gotta have the tubes man! i think i'll pick one up and give it a rip, also can u switch through the 4 channels via footpedal?
Yeah if you use the basic ENGL footswitch then you can get max versatility, as for solid state tightness im running my solid state preamp into a tube power amp, gives a godly tone that really doesnt sound like anything else.
The Engl will handle the speed metal rather well however Level4 is right about the lack of bassy chug when palm muting. Im still playing with the parametric EQ on the XT to find a sweet spot. It could also be to do with the lack of bass from the paf pro im using in the bridge of my RG.

Il break out my ESP as the Super3 in that is a bit on the bassy side and il see if that improves things at all.
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

We were running a schecter C-7 blackjack with stock JB pickup and mahogany body, we were only running the bass on about 6 throughout the practise/recording. I must admit that pre does have a lot of balls, with more than enough gain for anyone, assuming you can EQ really.
Righty after cranking my rig and trying some other guitars I can confrim its the pickups in my RG rather than the preamp. I guess im just too used to the dual recto models iv been using for years.
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

hello, I'am a fellow E530 player, it is the most amazing little pre, needs nice smooth tubes tho cause it can get a little brittle. I am thinking of putting a Maxon OD808 before it to see if that smooths it out a bit.

In terms of gain (i have a Hellraiser with EMG 707s) it has too much!!! I run mine with the hi gain switch in with the gain pot at about 3 oclock say 6.5 or 7! not that it has numbers! as for sound clips check out www.myspace.com/fionnmccarthy every song there is the E530,

The top song is with 707s the second (devil) is Jem 555 (drop C) with Evos (passive) the next Unleash the beast is with a Maverick F3 (drop C) with stock PUs (passive) and the last two are with an Prestige RG (drop D) with diz/ibx stock pus (passive). I went through a long borrowing process before I found the Hellraiser, which is now tuned GCGCFAD!

i run the e530 into a plamer pdi09 on normal into an mbox2! no cab!!! check it out!!!
br00talz.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by LEVEL4
Yes. Apparently the H&K (I love saying that—always makes me think I'm talking about guns!) does have the load built-in (which I don't really need). Thanks, riffhog!

You're welcome! I never really read this post til it was resurrected, & saw the comments from Dave & Erock503, so I read quite a number of posts. Now you guys are pissing me off, because I'll have to try that god-forsaken Engl pre-amp, & I'll probably have to buy one!
BTW-In case you're checking on the Palmer stuff, the load box/sims are PDI03 & PDI04. The PGA designation is different models. The PDI03 is the one that was re-issued because they were $1000 US on ebay (because Eddie Van Halen always used one).
Erock-Glad that DI box is working out so well!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Nov 7, 2007,
i have no idea how my posts were useful, riffhog- I haven't even tried an engl preamp!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2