Hey there

Sorry if this topic is in the wrong message board but basically, I have wanted to play guitar for many years now but have never really got around to buying a guitar for one reason or another but now I finally want to buy a guitar. I am not planning on spending mega money on my first guitar obviously but the guitar I was looking at is the Epiphone G-310 (the SG, lol cos I listen to a lot of AC/DC and Angus is one of my favourite guitarists and it's probably kind of stupid to buy a guitar what your fave guitarist plays?)
Anyway, I also need an amp but I only want a cheap one and am really considering one of those Marshall Micro Amps that clip onto your belt just for some practice and learning in my house. Would this be a good setup for a beginner or would something else be better for me? The music I intend on playing is mostly hard rock (eg. AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, The Who) and some heavy metal (eg. Black Sabbath/Ozzy, Iron Maiden etc). I know I won't be able to play stuff like this straight away and will need to learn a lot of the basics but hard/classic rock and hevay metal are the types I want to learn how to play.

Thanks for your help and time.
The G-310 isn't too hot. Look into an Epiphone G400 or Vintage VS6.

As for the amp, look into a Roland MicroCube or Vox DA-5. Other small amps suck.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I've heard some good stuff about the Epiphone Valve Junior, but the Microcube is a lot better for a beginner (VJ needs pedals).
Guitarwise -
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Epi G400
Squier Affinity Tele
Squier 51 (If you can find em)
Used Fender Standard Strat
Ibanez RG321
Ibanez SA120
Washburn X30

And like somone else said, Microcube or a DA5 for an amp. Maybe the AD15VT would be a good idea too if you can stretch.
Are those Squier Strat packs any good that come with the Squier Strat, amp, leads, bag and strap? Like would they be good for the music I want to play or would I be better off with the Epi SG? And also, what are the bad things about the Epi G310?
Quote by Fama
I've heard some good stuff about the Epiphone Valve Junior, but the Microcube is a lot better for a beginner (VJ needs pedals).

No it doesn't. It does everything up to classic rock - even Black Sabbath, so it's well within his tonal needs.

demolition, if you really want to have fun out of playing, a better sound will inspire you more (or at least, that's what I've found, and players around me find) than a decent guitar. Remember, it's the amp that is the major contributor to your sound. I cannot stress this enough. A lot of beginners buy a cheap amp and a nice guitar, and end up making a huge, costly mistake. Try not to go the same way.

An Epi Valve Junior combo would cost £99/$180, and has quite a cult following around here. If you look around and ask a few people on here, you can find lots of information about it - most with glowing reviews.

As for guitars, the Yamaha Pacifica that becky recommended is probably your best bet. It's about as solid as you can get for a beginner's guitar.
Quote by Don_Humpador
No it doesn't. It does everything up to classic rock - even Black Sabbath, so it's well within his tonal needs.

demolition, if you really want to have fun out of playing, a better sound will inspire you more (or at least, that's what I've found, and players around me find) than a decent guitar. Remember, it's the amp that is the major contributor to your sound. I cannot stress this enough. A lot of beginners buy a cheap amp and a nice guitar, and end up making a huge, costly mistake. Try not to go the same way.

An Epi Valve Junior combo would cost £99/$180, and has quite a cult following around here. If you look around and ask a few people on here, you can find lots of information about it - most with glowing reviews.

As for guitars, the Yamaha Pacifica that becky recommended is probably your best bet. It's about as solid as you can get for a beginner's guitar.

uhhhh he said he wanted to play some metal and the VJ can't do metal on its own. besides that in order to get heavy your going to have to crank it and it can get loud for bedroom practice.

for your styles i would get a roland micro cube and some starter guitar.

just try to look for a guitar thats:
made of alder or mahagony (mahagony might be better for your tastes)
maple or rosewood fretboard
since you like heavier stuff i would look for a guitar with humbuckers, or maybe one with a humbucker in the bridge.

but this all depends... if you have a specific price range i could recommend you some guitars.
Quote by mrchow
uhhhh he said he wanted to play some metal and the VJ can't do metal on its own. besides that in order to get heavy your going to have to crank it and it can get loud for bedroom practice.

Read the bold bit here.

Quote by Don_Humpador

Implying that admittedly, it's not going to do everything, but Black Sabbath isn't the heaviest of heavy metal, and the VJ could probably just cope. And yes, it can get loud.

Whatever, the microcube will do a decent job.
Yeah I disagree on a VJ for a begginer, its a nice amp and all, but theres no sense at all on having a beginner start out with a tube amp with 1 knob, he'll have no way of developing sound and expanding his musical tastes etc. also, wont learn the importance of EQing, learning about effects etc. etc.
What you have with the VJ is a good amp for Cleans and a touch of classic rock with a push.
If he wants to expand musically with the VJ, hell need to spend a ****load of pedals, imo the best amp for any begginer is a good moddler, with lots of effects to play with, keep them interested, lots of tonal variety.
He isnt going to appreciate a valve amp at this stage I think.

Squier strat pack = no, the Squier bullets are terrible, and the amps, well you could do alot better.
Quote by beckyjc
Yeah I disagree on a VJ for a begginer, its a nice amp and all, but theres no sense at all on having a beginner start out with a tube amp with 1 knob, he'll have no way of developing sound and expanding his musical tastes etc. also, wont learn the importance of EQing, learning about effects etc. etc.

I usually agree with everything you say, and agree with the rest of your post (which I have deleted mwahaha), but on this bit, I feel the other way.

I can see why it might seem that a volume knob could be limiting, but to say he has no way of developing sound, is, IMHO, incorrect. The guitar's volume and tonal controls, along with picking and fretting dynamics, can find plentiful different options. The same goes for EQing - surely, in one sense, it's better to start off with practically nothing, making your own tone out of basic equipment - so that later on, with more expensive and dynamic gear, he can use that experience to forge a larger, more varied range of tones.

Just my tuppence.
Yes, but the VJ gives him no where the flexability of a decent modeller. As a begginer I knew I wouldve picked out the one with the most flashy lights if I got the choice.
The guys jsut started, he doesnt even have a guitar yet. I just dont think that in this situation it'd work to reccomend a VJ. He probably doesn't even know what a Valve amp is yet. No sense just telling him its better, he needs to work out why on his own, which is why we should all start out with ****ty (Not saying the Cube or DA5 are ) solid states, to contrast and compare and grow our sound.

If he bought a microcube he might've learnt that he wants to play "ZOMG Shredrzrz", or effects drenched space age feedback or something. Which with the VJ, he wouldnt have that option.
Quote by beckyjc
Yes, but the VJ gives him no where the flexability of a decent modeller. As a begginer I knew I wouldve picked out the one with the most flashy lights if I got the choice.
The guys jsut started, he doesnt even have a guitar yet. I just dont think that in this situation it'd work to reccomend a VJ. He probably doesn't even know what a Valve amp is yet. No sense just telling him its better, he needs to work out why on his own, which is why we should all start out with ****ty (Not saying the Cube or DA5 are ) solid states, to contrast and compare and grow our sound.

If he bought a microcube he might've learnt that he wants to play "ZOMG Shredrzrz", or effects drenched space age feedback or something. Which with the VJ, he wouldnt have that option.

Flashy Lights! ZOMG Shredrzrz!

Fair point ; both sides of the argument have valid points. I guess we should both stop lecturing him really - make up your own mind, TS
Good good.

Go for the pacifica though, awesome, guitar, i told my friend to get one and all her friends keep moaning how horrible there squier bullets feel in comparison to the pacfica.

The G310 is just a bad guitar tbh. Like the squier bullet of SGs. Bad quality control and clunky neck, cheap alder body (Why alder? +_+)
Quote by beckyjc
Good good.

Go for the pacifica though, awesome, guitar, i told my friend to get one and all her friends keep moaning how horrible there squier bullets feel in comparison to the pacfica.

The G310 is just a bad guitar tbh. Like the squier bullet of SGs. Bad quality control and clunky neck, cheap alder body (Why alder? +_+)

But alder is t3h br00talz...

Yes.
Ahh sorry, disadvantage of internet, it's hard to pick up on jokes, half the time people are serious when they type like wankers

Me included.
Quote by Don_Humpador
An Epi Valve Junior combo would cost £99/$180, and has quite a cult following around here. If you look around and ask a few people on here, you can find lots of information about it - most with glowing reviews..

VJ combo's are $150
SMALL CLONE of the EHX User's Guild

Quote by Ishiga
NOSOUPFORYOU.

Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
this is barely a question. only an idiot would buy a zune.
Quote by cherub_rocker07
VJ combo's are $150

Probably quite right ; I was simply taking the the UK price and essentially doubling it.

Quote by beckyjc
Ahh sorry, disadvantage of internet, it's hard to pick up on jokes, half the time people are serious when they type like wankers

Me included.

Yeah, I try to avoid doing that