Currently I use Ibanez Bass Around £200 mark.
and I decided I need a new one,
I play in a band that has a pop-punk sound .
Blink 182, Paramore ,madina lake , MCR and lostprophets.

Any advice on a bass my Budget being £500.
I was looking at fender but wouldn't have clue where to start.
Somekind of Fender Precision or a musicman sub would be ideal if you can stretch abit or go used. What amp do you have? You can get a mexican precison off gak for about 340 and if you were to pair it with an ampeg ba115 it would be an ideal set up.
Well if you could save up another £175 you could get an American made Fender Jazz or Precision.

Which one you choose is personal preference, the Precision is very punchy and great for pop-punk but you can't get a wide range of sounds out of it (the sounds it does produce fit in almost anywhere though, I use mine in stuff from jazz to metal), the Jazz has more bite to it's sound and is much more versatile due to it's extra pickup.

They also feel very different, a Jazz neck is very thin compared to a Precision neck.

Whichever one you choose, you'll be doing alright for that kind of music, Mark Hoppus uses a Precision bass, the guy from Paramore uses a Music Man Stingray (out of your price range unless you found a SUB), Mikey Way uses various Fenders and the guy from Lostprophets uses Jazz basses.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
If you need an amp, you probably want more of a budget than 500. If not, MIGHT be able to find a used MIA Fender. If not, you could easily find a slightly used P bass deluxe (its a P bass body, Jazz neck, and P/J pickups). Though don't restrict yourself to just a fender. Look at other brands such as Schecter (I own one).
from your list of favorites, the P bass is the sound you need, but coming from an Ibanez, the neck on the P will be "fat" feeling. the Mark Hoppus sig is a Jazz body, that has a narrow neck, with a P, slit-coil p-up. might be worth checking out.
good luck!
I would go look for a nice P/J combo.

If you were really good you track down a Stu Hamm Urge II Bass, although I think it has recently been discontinued. Specs
Last edited by Captain Insano at Oct 13, 2007,
Try a Fender P and J bass out, see which one takes your liking. Also, if you can find a used musicman then I'd recommend them. I think Jazz basses are a good way to go as they're versatile, but I do love that precision punch.
signature
Quote by Captain Insano
I would go look for a nice P/J combo.

If you were really good you track down a Stu Hamm Urge II Bass, although I think it has recently been discontinued. Specs

whats so great about this bass. I have an opportuniyt to trade for one thats been sitting unplayed in a closet since it was bought. I think its an automatic trade for me...