So I've recently come across, well uhh, more MONEYZ! Now, I have the budget of about $400 for a new guitar. I'm looking for:

1. I play a lot of styles so I'm looking for versatility (From metal to classic rock to blues so coil splitting would be nice)

2. I'd like it to have 24 frets but it's not mandatory

3. BRIDGE HUMBUCKER REQUIRED.

4. I don't like trems. A string-thru would be lovely because I like sustain.

What do you guys say about Cort guitars for that price?
G&L Legacy Special -> Line 6 TonePort GX -> Gearbox\GR2

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Corts are great guitars, i started out playing on a cort G250 and it was fantastic, only 22 frets though, so u might wanna check out their other models
SG commando

Inserts hilarious quote here
You probably would be better off with a Epiphone Black Beauty has 3 humbekers but 22 frets but is a buety!
Quote by forwhomthebells
You probably would be better off with a Epiphone Black Beauty has 3 humbekers but 22 frets but is a buety!

Yes! A black beauty would be awesome but I'm one of those faggots who don't like the name "Epihpone" on their headstock lol.

Would a Faded gibby SG be better than an Epi Black Beauty?

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
youd have to try it out beforehand, cos apparently gibson dont have as good a quality control on their lower end products... you could save up a bit and get a standard

cos theyre lush
SG commando

Inserts hilarious quote here
Well, i'm looking currently at a new guitar myself, for a similar price. Yamaha are really interesting me. my friend has the RGX520FZ.. which he has in a red that looks awesome, and sounds just as good. I'm interested in that RGXA2 (which apparently has awesome sustain) but i'm worried it will be a little.. too light.. or not long-lasting. Both have no trem. I'm not interested in their pacifica ranges and trem-wielding stuff like that either. But in essence your question is the same as mine. I haven't even looked at Cort yet.. I've never heard of an outstanding Cort guitar.
Well, the Faded is on sale so if I save up I'd get one that is not on sale lol.

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Quote by m3k
Yes! A black beauty would be awesome but I'm one of those faggots who don't like the name "Epihpone" on their headstock lol.

Would a Faded gibby SG be better than an Epi Black Beauty?

That's just about the most idiotic statement I've seen on UG (Outside the pit.).
Quote by Don_Humpador
That's just about the most idiotic statement I've seen on UG (Outside the pit.).

Then apparently you haven't been on UG much. Now, please enlighten me on my idiotic statement

Yeah I was thinking about upgrading my Ibanez to the higher end RGs but.. Call me crazy but I don't really like Ibanez guitars because they lack.. soul? That's why I like PRS, Les Pauls, Teles and such.

..Yeah..

Buying an RG would be a very calculated buy since they offer the best for your buck. That's why I got mine.

-EDIT OHH you were talking about Yamahas. I say RG in the model name and automatically thought about Ibanez lol. Wow, your friend's guitar looks awesome!!

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Last edited by m3k at Oct 13, 2007,
Quote by m3k
Then apparently you haven't been on UG much. Now, please enlighten me on my idiotic statement

I would have thought it was quite obvious really. The vast majority of Epiphone LPs are very well made guitars, compared to the declining constistancy of Gibson's own. Looking at other companies ; Agile and Edwards, for example, also make very good copies of the same guitars, and are getting more and more of a foothold in the market of quality guitars. Gibson is still relying somewhat on it's brand, image and name for sales. Poor frets, finishes, nuts and bridges are becoming an alarmingly regular occurence in the lower cost Gibsons - the faded and special SG series, for example, as well as the Studio series for LPs. As I've previously mentioned, the ESP offshoot Edwards makes high quality copies of the Gibson LPs, and at practically half the price. Most of which is because these guitars are made in Japan - something a lot of Americans (but not all) find slightly annoying, because you like the fact that your precious Gibson is 'Made in the USA'. Are you willing to pay an extra $600 just for this, and a nicer sounding headstock?

It's your ignorance to this fact that let Gibson get away with their poor quality control. If people like you are only going to buy Gibsons because of the headstock, Gibson will have no incentive to getting back to making good quality guitars. As long as they sell, Gibson, from a business perspective, will not care. However if these other companies begin to show longevity in the market, Gibson will be forced to look at itself, it's luthiers, and it's quality control department, in an attempt to increase sales.

By all means, carry on buying guitars with big brand names on their headstock - just don't blame me when you realise, after some thought, that you may just have bought a $1500 guitar that plays like mud.
yes yes!

the $350 melody makers are pieces of garbage. never ever buy one.

im talking lower than squier here.

mij is definitely the way to go for pretty much everything nowadays.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
Well, tell me something I DON'T know.

When I ask about the Faded SG I get very mixed reactions. The main one being that if you get a good one it's likely to be better than most Epis. But the likelihood of this is not very big so I shouldn't bother.

I strongly agree with your views. I too think that Japanese-made guitars are much better than USA made Gibsons.

Having said that, theres nothing like having "Gibson" on your headstock. And right now that is the ONLY selling point for poor old Gibson.

But you know what? There are still brand names that still DO have a rep for having awesome guitars. Ibanez, Fender, ESP, PRS, Schecter and probably more that I can't name at the moment.

Anyway, back on topic please

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
$400 is quite a low budget, the only thing I can think of that would be worth buying is an Ibanez RG321 or a Fender Strat H S S setup.

Look at some ESP, Cort, Epiphone.

I know you will hate this opinion but: it would be best if you saved up a little more and got a guitar you would be more happy with. It will last you longer and you will be much more pleased that you saved an extra $200 or so instead of buying it and after a year saving up another $600 just to get that guitar that you could have got if you waited abit longer.
Quote by dannyyy
$400 is quite a low budget, the only thing I can think of that would be worth buying is an Ibanez RG321 or a Fender Strat H S S setup.

Look at some ESP, Cort, Epiphone.

I know you will hate this opinion but: it would be best if you saved up a little more and got a guitar you would be more happy with. It will last you longer and you will be much more pleased that you saved an extra $200 or so instead of buying it and after a year saving up another $600 just to get that guitar that you could have got if you waited abit longer.

Words to live by. I DO have the money. I just don't know if I should spend it. You see, I've been playing for about 8 months. Now, I've been studying and practicing A LOT and I'm glad to say I'm improving every week and I can play more complex stuff.

I want something with better pickups and playability.

As much as I like my Ibby, it just doesn't "satisfy" me anymore.

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Quote by m3k
Well, tell me something I DON'T know.

When I ask about the Faded SG I get very mixed reactions. The main one being that if you get a good one it's likely to be better than most Epis. But the likelihood of this is not very big so I shouldn't bother.

I strongly agree with your views. I too think that Japanese-made guitars are much better than USA made Gibsons.

Having said that, theres nothing like having "Gibson" on your headstock. And right now that is the ONLY selling point for poor old Gibson.

But you know what? There are still brand names that still DO have a rep for having awesome guitars. Ibanez, Fender, ESP, PRS, Schecter and probably more that I can't name at the moment.

Anyway, back on topic please

Well, you seem to realise what I've said is true, and I respect you for making that point

However, I still fail to see why having Gibson on your headstock makes a guitar more worthwhile - the name doesn't do anything for me, except perhaps show that I'm richer and materialistic.
Quote by Don_Humpador

However, I still fail to see why having Gibson on your headstock makes a guitar more worthwhile - the name doesn't do anything for me, except perhaps show that I'm richer and materialistic.

Welcome to the real world, dude

You can consider it as a guilty pleasure of some sort.

Edit, don't think I'll be buying the Faded though.

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Last edited by m3k at Oct 13, 2007,
you seem pretty serious... have you considered caparison?
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
I'd love one but unfortunately it's not available in my area...

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Quote by m3k
Yeah I was thinking about upgrading my Ibanez to the higher end RGs but.. Call me crazy but I don't really like Ibanez guitars because they lack.. soul?

Ibanez may lack soul, but they have one of many things Gibson doesn't have: quality control.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Gibson's quality tends to be top notch when you buy at higher price points (+1100.) Their lower priced guitars are just like any other brand's lower models, they tend to not be as good. Japanese guitars tend to be very good and a better value for the money, but most $500 MIJ guitars are not comparable to a +$1100 Gibson. Its my opinion that negative opinions on older brands like Gibson and Fender tend to be taken as a general consensus because disgruntled customers tend to be much more vocal. One person who gets a lemon may post 10 times to 0 or 1 post for a satisfied customer. Doesn't mean they didn't have a bad experience or valid concern, just they talk more about it.
I have a Gibson and intend to buy another soon. I do have sense enough to try several before I buy.
I'm also a satified Ibanez and MIJ Fender user.
dont even touch a cort they are untunable peices of crap my teacher peter is 56 and he has never used a cort after he tried one out

try get something like a californian strat
So I'm really looking into the Black Beauty. How much do they usually go around for? And am I paying extra just for the aesthetics, the name and the extra humbucker while I can get a standard Epi that sounds and plays the same?

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Quote by m3k
am I paying extra just for the aesthetics, the name and the extra humbucker while I can get a standard Epi that sounds and plays the same?

I too would like to know this as im very interested in getting one.
Its going to be a lot better than the Epi but you do pay extra for the name. If I was offered both for the price of the Epi I would grab the Gibson. Better quality, wood, workmanship, electronics. Necks/fretwork much better (most of the time.) Its up to you to decide if its worth it or not.
Quote by uldhppi
Its going to be a lot better than the Epi but you do pay extra for the name. If I was offered both for the price of the Epi I would grab the Gibson. Better quality, wood, workmanship, electronics. Necks/fretwork much better (most of the time.) Its up to you to decide if its worth it or not.

I don't think you read my question too well..

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
I misunderstood. When you said Black Beauty I assumed you meant a Gibson Black Beauty. Should've read farther back in the thread. Didn't know Epi made one too. No I wouldn't pay more for an Epi BB when you can get the sound cheaper. The best deals for money and sound for Epi LP's is the plain top.
On Gibson-type guitars I consider the middle pickup to be redundant. Some like it though.
Last edited by uldhppi at Oct 14, 2007,
Quote by uldhppi
I misunderstood. When you said Black Beauty I assumed you meant a Gibson Black Beauty. Didn't know Epi made one too. No I wouldn't pay more for an Epi BB when you can get the sound cheaper. The best deals for money and sound for Epi LP's is the plain top.

HAHA, The Gibson BB costs like 4k. I better be awesome for that kind of price :P.

So yeah, I figured the standard/plain top Epi would pretty much be the same only less prettier heh.

Fender DG-19 Acoustic