Page 1 of 3
hey guys, some of you may have seen my custom strat project thread a while back, well, its almost done! but before I reasemble it, im doing a few mods on the pickguard, ie. killswitch, and some LED's on the pickguard. Now, seeing as it's a green guitar, its going to be green LED's. I found a calculator to help with the wiring ect. but i need a layout, where would the LED's look good? I'v put a template and one design below to give you an idea! thanks!!

thanks!!
Member of the Bugera Users Militia

Quote by JagerSlushy
Go with Ibanez...Or if you're going high-end, get a Jackson.
UPDATE!: I just ordered 50 bright green 5mm LED's and 50 100 ohm 1/4 watt resistors.

So the skie's the limit now! any designs welcome the crazier the better. thanks.

PS. How would I best go about mounting them in the pickguard? would I just drill 5mm holes and glue the LED's in? I don't wanna go down the route of those little metal/plastic holders if possible.

THANKS!!

Quote by JagerSlushy
Last edited by superslash1994 at Oct 13, 2007,
Guys? any help?

Quote by JagerSlushy
1. do you have a battery snap/battery/toggle switch for the LED's
2. If you drill the hole correctly they will stay in. If not, just dab a little superglue UNDERNEATH the pickguard to hold them.
3. Be careful, these are going to be REALLY bright. I use 1k and sometimes with clear lenses it hurts to look directly at them.
4. I like the under the pickguard idea. id also put them inbetween the knobs, that would look cool.
5. You're going to have a battery anyway, why not through a circuit in there? Add a pushpull knob, and you can have something cool in there

are you all set for wiring?
Quote by s.r.v.
2. If you drill the hole correctly they will stay in. If not, just dab a little superglue UNDERNEATH the pickguard to hold them.
3. Be careful, these are going to be REALLY bright. I use 1k and sometimes with clear lenses it hurts to look directly at them.
4. I like the under the pickguard idea. id also put them inbetween the knobs, that would look cool.
5. You're going to have a battery anyway, why not through a circuit in there? Add a pushpull knob, and you can have something cool in there

1. No, not yet, I've got to scrape together a fiver or so first. but i know what i'm getting.
2. Yeah, I thought that's what I should do.
3. Ah ha, I'm using these: http://www.besthongkong.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_52&products_id=18

And I'm using this to help design the array:
http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

4. I've got 50! LOL! Any ideas on what i could do with the rest?
5. I'm puting 2 toggle switches in, 1 master on/off and one to select the source between a 9v battery and optional 9v mains plug. also I'm soon putting in a distortion circuit, with control replacing a tone knob. yay!

Thanks for the info! -Louis

Quote by JagerSlushy
Right, I think something like this'd look pretty sweet!

Quote by JagerSlushy
that will look terrible. no offense, but it will. they are going to be realy bright so you dont need many
It looks like you couldn't think of a design to do. Do something creative, like maybe your initials or something or your band's logo.
Ben
Quote by muffinman123192
It looks like you couldn't think of a design to do. Do something creative, like maybe your initials or something or your band's logo.

LOL. bingo, I cant think of any design. my initials are LC.

Quote by JagerSlushy
Why not buy a clear pickguard, and then cover that in a screen door-type material, then evenly distribute the LEDS under the pickguard so the whole thing glows.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Will_Minus
Why not buy a clear pickguard, and then cover that in a screen door-type material, then evenly distribute the LEDS under the pickguard so the whole thing glows.

Hmmm...that'd be reall sweet, but I can't get a replacement for my UBER CHEAP STRAT COPY! so... and making one is outta the question.

Quote by JagerSlushy
Quote by kurtlives91
Also dont put them in places you are going to hit them.

The 2nd design with 10000 LEDs, they are all where you pick/strum.

*actually 50 LED's

but yeah, they won't stick out more than a couple of mm will they? its no big deal really.

Quote by JagerSlushy
Enters thread.....
<_<

>_>

<_<

Bumps thread

<_<

>_>

<_<

>_>

Leaves thread

Quote by JagerSlushy
dont bump your threads after 6 minutes. its a forum, not a chat room.
i'm making you a design now, so show some patience.
sorry dude. im just bored and exited. sorryyy.

Quote by JagerSlushy
id say put the LED's between the volume and tone, tone and tone, and then make a design (like LC) on the open space under the strings (like the SRV strat). im actually going to go see if i can put some on my strat! ill post back if i actually do it
thx dude, im not too keen on puttin near controls because im gonna be doin a loada electric mods around there, i don wanna limit my control room, also not keen on initials idea. thanks for help tho, and good look with urs!

Quote by JagerSlushy
hmm..I just found the spec for the leds, they'd stick up about 7 mm. so, im thinkin, maybe stick a 5mm sheet of something on the underside of the pickguard before
I drill.

Quote by JagerSlushy
They'd stick up 5.6mm (correcting my earlier maths crisis :p so another option would be to stick a 6 or 7 mm sheet of something on, and then the LED would look like this:

The black being the pickguard,
The peach being the 7mm sheet of whatever
The blue being a clear epoxy resin or something
The green being the LED

Any ideas on what I could use to fill a gap that small, that would dry perfectly clear? thanks guys!

Quote by JagerSlushy
i didnt do it cause i dont have some parts. instead i put a ****ty headphone amp into a combo chasis. woo!
Quote by s.r.v.
i didnt do it cause i dont have some parts. instead i put a ****ty headphone amp into a combo chasis. woo!

Errrrr...what? expand please.

Quote by JagerSlushy
Right, to the wiring side of things:

I found this calculator to help with wiring, but am sceptical to whether it is right, would the resistors go after the LED? I'd of thought before..

go here: http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

for the values type this:

Source voltage: 9
Diode forward voltage: 3.5
Diode forward current (mA): 20
LED's in array: 50.

then select wiring diagram, then 'design my array'

is it right, or would the resistors go before the LED?

Thanks

Quote by JagerSlushy
Quote by s.r.v.

I use 33k resistors with 8kmcd Ultra Blue LEDs, they're deadly bright.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
hmmm...i like it!

just an idea..

Like it?

Quote by JagerSlushy
I hope you've spent some time to determine the amount of current you'll be drawing from the battery. When you get ridiculous with the number of LEDs, your battery life for a puny 9v will be in minutes, not hours.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by superslash1994
Right, I think something like this'd look pretty sweet!

What mcd are the leds?
That will eat batteries like a shark eats babies.
And finally, are you tryin' to build a f*cking lighthouse?
"I never liked those Deep Purples or those sort of things. I always hated it. I always thought it was a poor man’s Led Zeppelin"
// Angus Young

+1
I'm sure you can use a few LEDs and then come up with something for the rest of them which WON'T GO ON YOUR GUITAR!
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Want to build a Jackson, to be fairly freaking honest.

Quote by Kanthras
Put some crap in the hole, like something sticky. And liquid-ish.
deviantART: Click Here
Quote by Thewolf_and_man
What mcd are the leds?
That will eat batteries like a shark eats babies.
And finally, are you tryin' to build a f*cking lighthouse?

Here's a link for the LEDs (http://www.besthongkong.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_52&products_id=18), also, I'm putting a socket in for a 9v mains transformer. nd using an spdt switch to select the power source between battery/mains. also using spst as master on/off.

And yes. I am trying to build a lighthouse.

Quote by JagerSlushy
Quote by superslash1994
hmmm...i like it!

just an idea..

Like it?

i like it too maybe d the same near the bottom pickups
Quote by s.r.v.
i built a headphone amp (this one: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/headphone_ez.jpg )
and i had an old traynor reverb combo mate that i took out and put this into. sounds pretty bad

Nice! it may sound bad, but i bet its pretty cool! thats definatelly my next project!

Quote by JagerSlushy
Quote by metallicafan616
i like it too maybe d the same near the bottom pickups

yay! I'm gonna do another design now, to paint!!! *plays batman and robin theme thing* BRB!

Quote by JagerSlushy
how bout this? Kinda looks like the kiss 'S' wish i had more room to write kiss ah well

Quote by JagerSlushy
yeah, but then i have the problem that the wood comes further in in some places. also, i need to do some routing to get them to fit anyway.

Quote by JagerSlushy
Page 1 of 3