Okay, well I don't know much about bass guitars, but i have wanted to play for a long time. I am left handed and i'm looking for the best one for the cheapest price. I have looked at the Dean Edge 09 bass for $149, it seemed good, but the reviews have been bad. I could probably get one for a higher price, but keep in mind that I have two step brothers, a sister, and my mom is having another baby this month. Any help is fully appreciated.

here's the link for the Dean.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Playmate-Edge-09-Left-Handed-4String-Bass?sku=512906
left handed hey? im also left handed and have been playing for 10 years, i suggest you buy a good fender jazz bass, ive had mine for the 10 years and it still looks ands sounds brand new. its a great bass for 400 bucks. if you want a cheaper model still, go with a squier.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
^ A Fender jazz bass for £200? That may have been the pricing 10 years ago...

In dollars, though, he's not far out... They actually do get a Fender Standard Jazz Bass for a little over £220, new, over there in the USA.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Jazz-Bass?sku=516042

And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

And this why I hate UK mark-up pricing.

Yep. We pay, roughly, double.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Caustic
Yep. We pay, roughly, double.

Yes, a bongo starts at $1600 in the US, and here it starts at 2000 euro;s!!
the dean basses look ok, but don't play very well. i would look for a used Squire Jazz, or P bass. try to avoid the Affinity series, if possible. used Squires can be bought in the $100 to $200 range. a decent MIM Jazz, used, should be in the $250 to $350 range. good luck! having said that, i believe Ibanez rules the under $400 market for sound and playabilty. but the Squires can be modified with real Jazz bass parts, unlike the Ibanez.