im looking to swap out the bridge humbucker in my Maverick F3. currently, it has an SD invader in it. im feeling as though i would like some more clarity and definition to my sound.

ive been looking at dimarzio's range (only ever tried the super 2's, which i did like, for the record), and seem to find everyone saying how articulate the D activator is. i have just joined a kickass rock band with a view to some serious gigging, so id like some nice low end to my sound, but also less of the mud and more clarity.

my only problem is my Maverick is made from alder, and my amp (laney VC50) is very bright anyway.

is the d activator a bad idea?

any decent alternatives?

Well the Invaders are pretty bad so you could deffinately improve, i'd suggest going in search of Steven Seagull, he's excellent with pickups and could possibly point you in the right direction
Last edited by philipisabeast at Oct 13, 2007,
i'd say bareknuckle miracle man, but that might be slightly bright for what you want in an alder/maple guitar.

Maybe a swineshead warthog (email first for advice, though)? or bareknuckle holy diver (something like that- best check on the bareknuckle forum or email them for better advice than i can give)... i hear good things about bulldogs, probably worth looking into too.

I haven't tried the d-activator, but judging by the dimarzios I have tried, for the price they go for in the UK, no thanks. Ditto Duncans... if they come stock, great, but if you're looking for an upgrade, you can do a lot better for very little extra cash, and in some cases for less. EDIT: of course that's my opinion.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 13, 2007,
dude, VERY helpful post

ill send a few emails around

any other possibilities/opinions are always welcome

EDIT: i think the venom may be more what im looking for, from the soundclips. also, i find that a little extra output than needed is a good thing, as i can always turn the gain down, but if the output is too low, itll sound like ass , saying that, it seems about the right output anyway
Last edited by doddsie_105 at Oct 13, 2007,
my only concern with the venom is my concern with the miracle man- it may be a bit bright for what you want. I haven't tried it though, i'm just going on hearsay.

EDIT: don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that either the MM or venom is too bright for alder- just they may be too bright for the tones you want. they should help with the clarity thing, just that low end is what I'm concerned with...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?