I have some ernie ball strings on my electric guitar at the moment which are 9-42 and my cousin gave me some daddario 10-46 strings which i would like to try but i heard they will muck up my bridge because it is not set to take the tension of that guage? At the moment my strings are putting enough tension on the bridge to lift it up a bit so i can do the tremolo both ways. I dunno if this is normal, i have been told it was. But my question is, how do i set up the bridge so it can take 10-46 strings?

I also bought an acoustic guitar off ebay recently and i'm considering using the daddarios on that instead? They're daddario XL's and are nickel wound. Would this work ok? If not, can someone recommend me good strings for a Yamaha f310? I heard martin were good.
You will want to tighten down the bridge enough so when you bend it doesn't loosen up the other strings. You generally want thicker strings on an acoustic guitar to get the volume. Buying acoustic strings does a better job but as long as you can put the strings on the guitar, I don't see too big of a problem with it.
Quote by -=Croatoan=-
You will want to tighten down the bridge enough so when you bend it doesn't loosen up the other strings. You generally want thicker strings on an acoustic guitar to get the volume. Buying acoustic strings does a better job but as long as you can put the strings on the guitar, I don't see too big of a problem with it.

How do i tighten up the bridge? (sorry if that's a stupid question!, I'm a complete noob!). Also the strings have those little balls on the end. Will that present a problem with an acoustic guitar?
yes, do not use electric strings on your yamaha. I have the same one at home, its a sexy beast and I love it

use martin 12s, I do, and they work a treat

those little balls will not be a problem, it is the white peg things that keep your strings in
You can put any gauge strings you want on your electric, within reason. 10's are fine and probably won't even require a setup, though as said you will want to tighten the bridge. That means taking off the back cover and screwing in the bridge claw screws a little. You want it to be tight enough that when you bend one string, it does not pull the others out of tune.

You can put electric strings on an acoustic, it just won't sound right. It's a temporary solution.(Although I've got an acoustic that's had one set of electric strings on it for longer than I can remember, only because I'm too lazy to go out and buy acoustic strings for it)
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Well the guitar has some really thick bronze strings on it and to be honest the top ones sound horrible, really dull. I dunno if this is just cos the strings are old or is it the guage and material? The bottom 3 sounds pretty bright.