I've had my Warhead for a few months now and I love it to bits, theres plenty of tone options and plenty of gain... but only if you crank the volume a little too high for comfort.

I've only used it for bedroom practice so far but I really want a little extra drive to boost it for solos and add a little something to rhythm playing. I do have an EHX Metal Muff but I lose a lot of the amps character when I switch it on.

Is there a pedal that would help? Or do I need to think about getting better pickups?
Last edited by No Worries at Oct 13, 2007,
what guitar?
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Using a decent tubescreamer will boost your signal, but won't change the character of the amp that much.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
also, a Warhead is solid state right?

Also look into an attenuator to get the high level sound at lower volumes
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
I thought attenuators were for tube amps?
Gear
ESP LTD M-200FM (red)
Randall Warhead
2x12 Randall Cab
EHX Metal Muff
(soon) Dunlop Dimebag Wah
i think they msinly are used for tube amps, but you said your amp gets better tone when it's run at a higher volume, so it may work
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
That solves the volume problem but will it still give the the little extra gain I want?
Gear
ESP LTD M-200FM (red)
Randall Warhead
2x12 Randall Cab
EHX Metal Muff
are you looking for extra gain or a way to use the gain at lower levels

For extra gain, try a tubescreamer or an EQ pedal.

For the gain at lower levels, use the attenuator
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Don't use overdrive pedals or attenuators on solid state amps. That EHX pedal should work, but use it on the clean channel. It'll just muddy up your signal if you use it with the amp's distortion. Also play with your EQ some.
Thats just it, If I use the Muff on the clean channel I lose all the amps character which is what I wanna keep. Im just trying to enhance the distorsion its got.

The built in graphic EQ seems to be drowned out by the normal EQ settings (treble, mids etc) So it doesnt make much of a difference.
Gear
ESP LTD M-200FM (red)
Randall Warhead
2x12 Randall Cab
EHX Metal Muff
For some better boost in your solos think about getting a KFK EQ from MXR it says it boosts your solos and stuff, I going to be getting that pedal soon.

Also if you are ever thinking about selling that sweet Warhead I will buy it!
I agree that an EQ might help. If you want cheaper but very good Danelectro Fish n Chips.
Only cost me £300 cus the last user did some terrible cosmetic changes that have taken me ages to fix. Sounds like a beast when its cranked though.

Any idea if the built in EQ would mess with the settings on the KFK?
Gear
ESP LTD M-200FM (red)
Randall Warhead
2x12 Randall Cab
EHX Metal Muff
Should work better if you use the EQ pedal in the effects loop, less likely to muck with your other stuff.
Speaking of MXR... Would the Zakk Wylde overdrive do the trick?
Gear
ESP LTD M-200FM (red)
Randall Warhead
2x12 Randall Cab
EHX Metal Muff
Lol an EQ is exactly what he doesn't want.

An EQ shapes the tone of the amp all together,
Giving you a different tone, so to speak.

I bought an MXR KFK 10 Band EQ for my Jcm800, to give it a bit more bite.
Instead, what I've came across is that it's just an additional EQ to the one on your amp, not a booster.

The idea of solid state is so that you don't have to crank it to get decent tones,
and well that's not always the case, cranking it won't give you more gain, just a better tone. If you've not got enough gain on a SS as it is, you've got the wrong amp.
Quote by No Worries
Speaking of MXR... Would the Zakk Wylde overdrive do the trick?

That depends totally on the amp, as I said SS amps are designed not to need over-driven, but I've found boosters such as the MXR Zakk Wylde overdrive do work on some, although muffle your tone/make it a bit noisy.\

Try a pedal called 'Ego-Booster', it's pretty decent.

Edit: What I've also found with that pedal, is that it pretty much makes you sound like Zakk Wylde, doesn't leave much room for creativity:P
Cheers Daveyh I didnt really want to sit around playing with 2 graphic EQs and 4 knobs to find a decent tone.

Yes SS amps do have a lot of gain but its kinda relative to when they were made and what we call high gain today.

The truth behind the warhead is that although Dimebag endorsed it a good portion of his tone also came from some cheaper Randall amps he kept backstage. I'm not saying the Warhead isnt all that good because I do actualy really like the kind of distorsion it gives me, I can get some pretty sick rhythm sounds from it. What I want is a little more gain for mordern stuff and to boost and add some sustain to solos. There isnt actualy a boost option for the high gain channel for some reason.
Gear
ESP LTD M-200FM (red)
Randall Warhead
2x12 Randall Cab
EHX Metal Muff
boosting on a solid state amp works, but you have to be a little gentler about it compared to boosting a tube amp.

i boost my solid state all the time with a tubescreamer, but it doesn't take much. if you try one out, just start with all the knobs at 12 o'clock and make small adjustments from there.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
You can always try something like the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster pedal. It's just a gain boost pedal that'll give you up to 25db of straight gain. I got mine for like $40 at Guitar Center and it works wonders on my almost gainless PowerBlock head.
Signatures are overrated.
Now thats not too shabby, looks worth a try even if I didnt need the extra gain.
Gear
ESP LTD M-200FM (red)
Randall Warhead
2x12 Randall Cab
EHX Metal Muff
Quote by Johnonon
i think they msinly are used for tube amps, but you said your amp gets better tone when it's run at a higher volume, so it may work

an attenuator on a SS amp is completely pointless. The only reason a SS amp would sound better louder, is because it's moving the speakers and pushing air. They add to the texture of the sound this way. All you're going to do with an attenuator is clip the transistors into horrible noise, and lose the benefit of moving air.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids