need new pickups. i play pop punk/emo, punk, rock, any good recomendations. i was thinking maybe a dirty fingers for the bridge and a seymour duncan distortion pickup for the neck
-what's the guitar?
-what's your amp?
-what's the budget?
-where are you (affects prices)?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
generally i'd say avoid the jb like the plague, but you could do a lot worse than a jb for the music he plays, it's actually quite suited to it- we do need to wait until he answers the questions I asked, though.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
sell amp for $50, get a valveking or similar for $250, keep the lp custom pickups

epi lp custom pickups aren't all that bad bro.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
With that amount of money you may as well just save up for a new amp. The affect of new pickups on tone won't be that great through a little practice modeling amp.

And the JB isn't very versatile by any means...
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
^ +1
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
generally i'd say avoid the jb like the plague, but you could do a lot worse than a jb for the music he plays, it's actually quite suited to it- we do need to wait until he answers the questions I asked, though.

Thankfully the JB is considerably easier to avoid than the plague as it's not transmissable through the air

I'd get a new amp, it'll help a lot more - pickups won't save a Spider
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
...although there are worrying rumours of incidents where the Seymour Duncan Invader has apparently evolved into a viral state, with the World Health Organisation putting the wheels in motion for it to be officially classed as a disease.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
new pickups will make no difference at all with your current amp, you'd be much better off buying a new amp, as the spider doesn't let the guitars tone poke through the sound very much, its almost like its modelling the guitar as well as the amp.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by FacingUsAll
With that amount of money you may as well just save up for a new amp. The affect of new pickups on tone won't be that great through a little practice modeling amp.

And the JB isn't very versatile by any means...

+1 sir.
Quote by steven seagull
...although there are worrying rumours of incidents where the Seymour Duncan Invader has apparently evolved into a viral state, with the World Health Organisation putting the wheels in motion for it to be officially classed as a disease.

roar!
Since everyone seems to agree I should get a new amp, can anyone give me a recomendation? A couple that caught my eye were, the Crate VTX Series VTX 30B 30W 1x10 combo, the Fender FM 65R combo and the Marshall MG 30DFX. Those any good? Any other suggestions?
some of those crate palominos or v-series tube combos might be worth a look (haven't tried, hear good things though), or alternatively perhaps a peavey valveking royal 8? an overdrive/booster pedal probably wouldn't hurt with those either.

if you can stretch to around $400, a peavey windsor studio (if the darn thing is ever released!) might be worth looking into.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah, that's annoying.

i have no money for one (or more accurately i want other things instead), but i'd like to try one.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah, the ability to use almost any tube is what's sold me too. it's almost worth it (assuming all the tone isn't in the preamp) to see which power amp tubes you prefer... and the attenuator won't hurt either.

i've heard on other forums that peavey have a habit of being slow to release things, but I'm not sure.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd look into a fender frontman and save some cash. Just, stay the HELL away from the marshall MG series. Unless you're willing to spend an ass-ton on a high end mg, then stay away from it. if you're spending that much you might as well get a JCM series or something.

Hm. A crate might not be too bad but I'd lean more towards Peavey if I were you. Or maybe a Roland Cube 15X / 30X.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by Ishiga
I'd look into a fender frontman and save some cash. Just, stay the HELL away from the marshall MG series. Unless you're willing to spend an ass-ton on a high end mg, then stay away from it. if you're spending that much you might as well get a JCM series or something.

Hm. A crate might not be too bad but I'd lean more towards Peavey if I were you. Or maybe a Roland Cube 15X / 30X.

1 - Fender Frontmans and FMs are terrible. Cleans on the FM are tolerable.

2 - There's no such thing as a high end MG. The more expensive ones are even worse, because they're overpriced...

3 - Crate solid states suck.
Quote by forsaknazrael
1 - Fender Frontmans and FMs are terrible. Cleans on the FM are tolerable.

2 - There's no such thing as a high end MG. The more expensive ones are even worse, because they're overpriced...

3 - Crate solid states suck.

actually it seems to me like the bigger MGs sound worse than the smaller ones, as well as being even more overpriced.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
get a TUBE amp like a fender blues jr. (15 watts) or a crate tube or peavey valve king 112 (50watts) you could get a used one for that cheap. p.s tube watts are way louder than ss watts
Definitely don't get a Roland Cube 15x .

I agree with the Crate Palomino.

Don't be afraid to go used.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
unfortunatly, my budget got pushed back to 220 or so. how about a vox valvetronix? i no its not tube but i cant really afford a tube
Yeah the amp is going to make the same sound with different pickups cos it has preset sounds in it
Manchester United
wow, in an exciting turn of events, my dad had a fender pro junior that i now use. got a bad monkey for it, maaybe ill pick up a wah and start lookin at pickups again ... or maybe not. hmmm
pop punk/rock... dimarzio X2N and screw the neck. do you ever use it anyway? i know i dont! :]
^that's why you have no knowledge of tone.

btw, the Duncan Distortion + neck = NO NO NO
it's a ceramic magnet with HIGH output, that is the demon to the neck.
the Distortion pup is solely for bridge use.
you don't need to change your pups, the epi lp custom stock pups are good for your style.

and as for an amp, get a VOX AD30VT (is that right? i dont ****in remember IM TIRED!) lol
Last edited by MrDURPEEDURP at Oct 24, 2007,
Quote by ECistheBest
sell amp for $50, get a valveking or similar for $250, keep the lp custom pickups

epi lp custom pickups aren't all that bad bro.

+1
Not taking any online orders.