Hey there. Just now I have an Ibanez RG370DX and I was thinking abut getting a new amp and while I was at it, I may as well replace my stock pickups. I was thinking about getting a Dimarzio Evolution pickup replace the bottom bridge humbucker but Im not sure if the evolution is an active or passive? I think the ones on my Ibanez are passive but im not certain.

Any help greatly appreciated
Gear

Fender Stratocaster in Red.

It's all I need.

The Anti-Anti-Ibanez Militia!
Evolutions are passive, good pickup but very sensitive and will catch every little thing you do on the fretboard.
The DiMarzio DeActivator pickups are great. They were designed to sound like an active pickup while still having a passive circuit. I have them on my Xiphos, and they sound incredible.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
I'll give you an idea of the kind of sound I'm trying to achieve.

http:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkuGfzNziBw

03:12 - 03:35

I know he uses Dimarzio Evolution pickups, and a laney amp, but I'm not sure if his sound is achieved with the amp more so than the pickups. Any idea guys?
Gear

It's all I need.

Well I plan on getting both for christmas lol. I'm thinking about either a Line 6 Spider III or a Marshall MG15CMSII Micro Stack , but I'm not sure which one to get.
Gear

It's all I need.

Last edited by SamTotman at Oct 14, 2007,
What ever you do, don't get a Marshall MG series amp if you are serious about your tone. The besr sounding solid state amps I've heard are the Vox ADVT series amps. They are valve/solid state hybrids as they have a valve in the preamp circuit. The AD30VT is a great amp.

If you are able to get a valve amp, the cheaper Fender ones are great. Marshall DSL rocks too.
I have looked at the AD30VT and it looks like an awesome tube amp!
Gear

It's all I need.

^ it's not all tube, but it's nicer than those other two.

what kind of money are you talking?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ it's not all tube, but it's nicer than those other two.

what kind of money are you talking?

£200 roughly, but it doesn't matter too much if it goes a little outside of £200 I was gonna try my best to get a new humbucker for my bridge and a new amp too. Right now I'm thinking either Dimarzio tonezone's or evolution's with that Vox amp.
Gear

It's all I need.

youtube is down for me at the moment, but i assume, judging by your username, that you want an 80's shreddy type tone?

if you can wait (the release date has already been pushed back a couple of times, current estimate is january, i think? not too sure...), the peavey windsor studio might do what you want (bear in mind it's slightly different to the head version, so might not sound just as modern). it should be around the £200 mark.

for the pickups, dimarzios are really expensive in the UK. I prefer swinesheads, which are like £45 each. From what I hear, the venom is probably what you're after, though I haven't tried it personally. I also hear good things about irongears, which are about half the price of swinesheads (and they have a UG 10%-off code (or is it 15%?) if you do a search on irongear pickups, you should find it... the irongear guy has a few posts on here, and should have the code in his sig), though I haven't personally tried them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Find some Evo's on ebay if they are that expensive in the UK.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
i guess you have a point, but if you ask me swinesheads are nicer. for less cash. though obviously personal preference and all that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?