I was restringing my thunderbird
as I were taking the old strings off the bridge came off and I thought "nice, i can polish under it"
as I were polishing I must have turned the screws that hold it on
put the E string on, something not right, was on the frets
undid it n messed with the bridge
wound it back up n action were higher
so I thought I'd better put rest of the strings on and go to a music shop to sort it out
not my day
i cut too much off the A string

heres what it looks like now

nice... im alwayse thrown off when there isnt a question

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by Narcotics
nice... im alwayse thrown off when there isnt a question

He was asking why the action was higher.

But I agree, is the bridge backwards?
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.

you're gonna need cinder blocks to fret that E.

What the hell possessed you to polish UNDER the bridge? No-one should ever see what's under the bridge, that's like dividing by 0.

EDIT: to below me... it's late
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Oct 13, 2007,
Quote by Deliriumbassist

you're gonna need cinder blocks to fret that E.

What the hell possessed you to polish UNDER the bridge? No-one should ever see what's under the bridge, that's like diving by 0.

And this time, I don't think I can actually attribute this problem to your thunderbird. Though it falling off is not really a sign of expert craftsmanship

But you had no business going under the bridge.
From memory (and the memory's a bit shaky...) the bridge secures with a bolt at each end, and one at the front, in the centre, between the A+D strings. Gibbo's and Epi's both. There should be a brass (or steel) sleeve embedded in the body that each bolt locates to. When the bridge fell out, were the sleeves flush with the face of the body? Or did they come out with the bolts? I'm a little concerned here 'cos I know of an Epi SG Junior whose sleeves pulled out! It's a bit of a job to fix.
If the sleeves stayed in, did you maybe get polish or some crap down in the threads that's stopping the bolts getting all the way down the sleeve bore? If so, take it off again and clean them out. Frankly, this doesn't sound good, but just about anything's fixable with the right approach. Or a few quid. Good luck!

EDIT: Thinking about it tho', maybe your bridge slots onto the bolts at each end if they're posts. That would explain why it just fell off, they all do that! It's still possible for the posts/sleeves to pull out, but maybe you put it back onto the wrong bit of the post ('cos the posts sometimes have a 'c' profile turned into them near the top to locate the bridge). Or maybe you need to wind the posts down a bit. And in future, change 1 string at a time! Gretsch/Bigsby owners do it that way for a reason...!
Last edited by creepingjesus73 at Oct 14, 2007,