Excuse my title... I didn't really know what to name this

OK, I just got a new electric guitar. I love it, but there's just one problem that keeps pissing me off. When I fret a string kinda hard, or in the case of the low E string fretted at all, the note becomes devilishly sharp. Like if I try to press the low E string all the way down at the 3rd fret, I'll play an A or maybe even a Bb instead of a G.

Does this have anything to do with the action? The action does seem a bit high, but I'm generally OK with high actions so I'm not really bothered by it. I suspect it does, but I'm not sure.

The guitar's a new york pro strat copy (nyp because I'm a cheap bastard )

Help!... please?
when you fret the 3rd fret, does it come down very close on the 5th or 6th fret? if it's lying on top of that fret, you need a fret job.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
Yeah it may have bad frets, or they put them on wrong. Like Dougc84 says, you might need it refretted.
SAVE THE JAZZ

"Remember, there are two kinds of people in the world:
People who finish things, and"
when i fret the 3rd fret down, the string goes nowhere NEAR the 5th and 6th frets... there's at least 2 mm of space between the string and fret marker

it's not like the guitar just plays the note... it sounds like a string bend
basically, it goes insanely out of tune
the action wouldnt be a problem unless it's like... 2" off the board. i can't possibly think of what it could be. take it to a shop and have them look at it.
gear?

well not 2" but maybe 1cm...
Well, since my parents force me to pay for everything I'm probably not gonna take it to a shop (I'm completely BROKE right know). But thanks anyways...
It could be the bow of the neck. A guitar neck is not supposed to be completely straight. It should have a very slight bow to it. This allows the higher frets not to hit the string. You could be getting a weird harmonic thing going on. Meaning when your string is vibrating at the widest point (just after picking) it is hitting one of the higher frets and creating a natural harmonic. Try a truss rod adjustment (just a little) and see if that does it.
no, no, no it's not a harmonic or anything... think of a string bend. it sounds exactly like that
Quote by firebreath07
Excuse my title... I didn't really know what to name this

OK, I just got a new electric guitar. I love it, but there's just one problem that keeps pissing me off. When I fret a string kinda hard, or in the case of the low E string fretted at all, the note becomes devilishly sharp. Like if I try to press the low E string all the way down at the 3rd fret, I'll play an A or maybe even a Bb instead of a G.

Does this have anything to do with the action? The action does seem a bit high, but I'm generally OK with high actions so I'm not really bothered by it. I suspect it does, but I'm not sure.

The guitar's a new york pro strat copy (nyp because I'm a cheap bastard )

Help!... please?
Dude, that insane! You're talking 2 or 3 semitones. The most you should be able to pressure bend a note by too much downforce (without lateral movement) would be less than 1/2 semitone. And that's if you grip it like a gorilla. A very angry gorilla.

Are your frets ridiculously tall?

Is your fretboard scalloped?

Are you using extremely light gauge strings AND tuned to B instead of E?

I just see no possible way to do this under normal circumstances.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
scalloped fretboard?... what does that mean?
the frets are pretty low too... and I know I'm tuned to an E
it hit me... is there any chance your guitar's strings are hitting the bridge pickups?
gear?

Right... well, this problem is now solved. I finally decided to take the guitar over to my friend's house, and he had no idea what was wrong. So we just restringed it, and now it's fine. I think that my strings were just really light gauge, but I'm not sure.

Well, anyways, the problem is solved. Thanks to everyone who posted!