Y'know, the see through kind.

I've got some Castin' Craft (clear resin, I think); could I pour this into a guitar shaped mold for a see-through guitar like Vai sometimes plays? Would it be durable enough/sound decent/not impossible?

Has anyone on here ever made a clear guitar before?

Thanks in advance.
As long as it can hold the tenstion of the strings, and can hold the screws without chewing out the holes, you should be good.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
You can buy lucite guitars on ebay for like $200. Dave Grohl plays through lucite guitars from time to time... at least he did.
^Yeah, it's the same. Lucite, acrylic or plexiglass...

There are quite a few brands who make them, including Ampeg and Ibanez. It's not gonna give you great tone- you'll have to rely on good pickups for that. But it will be good for sustain.
Quote by Pikka Bird
^Yeah, it's the same. Lucite, acrylic or plexiglass...

There are quite a few brands who make them, including Ampeg and Ibanez. It's not gonna give you great tone- you'll have to rely on good pickups for that. But it will be good for sustain.

I played an acrylic BC rich warlock some time ago. Twas bloody heavy! I couldn't feel my leg!

Also, the Dan Armstrong plexiglass (the ampeg) guitar was actually designed for its tonal properties, rather than for the look.
Quote by Ultraturtle0
Y'know, the see through kind.

I've got some Castin' Craft (clear resin, I think); could I pour this into a guitar shaped mold for a see-through guitar like Vai sometimes plays? Would it be durable enough/sound decent/not impossible?

Has anyone on here ever made a clear guitar before?

Thanks in advance.

It would, but it would be more stable to just get a thick sheet of clear acrylic and get someone to CNC the body.

A guy i used to work with CNC'd a clear acrylic body for his ibanez, sounded like ****!, but looked awesome.
Current Gear
Ibanez RG1570 - Going bye bye
Jackson DK2 - Eventually will be replaced with Maton Mastersound
Peavey valveking 212
Various EHX and Boss effects
Quote by RGman
It would, but it would be more stable to just get a thick sheet of clear acrylic and get someone to CNC the body.

A guy i used to work with CNC'd a clear acrylic body for his ibanez, sounded like ****!, but looked awesome.

I guess that's how they do it, but how do they keep the surfaces smooth and transparent? I thought they'd be rough and it would go white.

Would polishing help? Or do they melt the surface or something to keep it smooth?
Quote by sashki
I guess that's how they do it, but how do they keep the surfaces smooth and transparent? I thought they'd be rough and it would go white.

Would polishing help? Or do they melt the surface or something to keep it smooth?

Wet sand 2000 and up, then buff with a buffing compound.
Current Gear
Peavey valveking 212
They are cool, but drop it and you are screwed. As I said in another friend, my friend has an Acrylic Warlock who dropped it, and it wrecked it. That said, I wouldn't mind having one, but I would be paranoid.
i say get a sheet of green acrylic, thatd be gnarly!!
schecter s-1
nonfunctional flextone II
charvette - project guitar
This same question came up a month ago:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=666407

Quote by sashki

Melting would make a mess. They use successively finer abrasives.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Oct 14, 2007,
Where on earth do you get a block that big though? I was looking for something like that for a totally different project I was working on, but I couldn't find it.

BTW, thanks for all the replies so far, been a real help!
Quote by Ultraturtle0
Where on earth do you get a block that big though? I was looking for something like that for a totally different project I was working on, but I couldn't find it.

BTW, thanks for all the replies so far, been a real help!

There's an office for some acrylic products company not far from where I live. And they make all sorts of stuff, like signs for other companies.

Therefore, you can get blocks like that. Just look around.

Phone book, anyone?
my father sells acrylic laminates and stuff like the ones ^ is talking about. Usually the pieces are not more than half inch thick so I don't think many stores would carry such a thick kind of acrylic... search around though

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
Quote by UniverseZero
my father sells acrylic laminates and stuff like the ones ^ is talking about. Usually the pieces are not more than half inch thick so I don't think many stores would carry such a thick kind of acrylic... search around though

Any plastics supplier should, it isn't cheap but it exists.

They can order in too.
Current Gear
Peavey valveking 212
try the molding idea i think it'd be sick
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff