For years i used dampen the bass string by letting the big fleshy bit under my right thumb when picking. But recently i noticed a sort of whoshing noise when i play at volume with distortion. It happened even if i only touched the strings really light. So to stop this i have moved my right hand up so that i rest on that boney bit on the opposite side of my hand ( if any of that makes any sense ), on the 6th string saddle. Has anyone else had this problem ? My playing is a lot cleaner now, but i have to pay a little more attention to keeping the bass strings clean, the low e in particular. Also i had a guitar teacher i while back that suggested over fretting your left hand finger to keep the last string you played muted. But this seemed a little odd. It also slowed my picking down. Anyone have any opinions on any of this ? Thanks.
I've read it three or four times. I can't figure out exactly what you're asking.
~ Gear ~
Epiphone Les Paul
Crate GX-80
Quote by Guitarist132
Finish the quote

"This is _______"
Quote by Aqua Dementia
SPAAAAAAAARRRRTTTAAA! No?
Quote by Guitarist132
Incorrect, the correct answer was papua new guinea

Quote by Aqua Dementia
Whoa, I'm in your sig.
Quote by monkeyboyjr
I've read it three or four times. I can't figure out exactly what you're asking.

I think he's asking how to mute fret noise.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
i also mute with my fretting hand, i wouldn't exactly call it overfretting but i do damp 1 string above with the fretting finger thats most close.. it feels quite naural and it doesn't affect my technique in any way.. pretty helpful, if there are any strings above that, i use my picking hand
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
Quote by Funkicker
i also mute with my fretting hand, i wouldn't exactly call it overfretting but i do damp 1 string above with the fretting finger thats most close.. it feels quite naural and it doesn't affect my technique in any way.. pretty helpful, if there are any strings above that, i use my picking hand

That's exactly what i do.

If I'm playing a power chord on the A+D strings I'll use my 1st and 3rd finger to play the chord and my 2nd to mute the low E string.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
That's exactly what i do.

If I'm playing a power chord on the A+D strings I'll use my 1st and 3rd finger to play the chord and my 2nd to mute the low E string.

oh but i meant using a finger already on the chord, otherwise you'd limit your range of voicings.. ofcourse in a powerchord it would'nt matter, but here i'd play it with my first, third, and forth finger, and mute the e string with my first finger.. the first finger muting thing is what i meant, but thats usually the finger on the string above the string i need to mute, in this case on the a string which ahppens to be the first..
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
Quote by Funkicker
oh but i meant using a finger already on the chord, otherwise you'd limit your range of voicings.. ofcourse in a powerchord it would'nt matter, but here i'd play it with my first, third, and forth finger, and mute the e string with my first finger.. the first finger muting thing is what i meant, but thats usually the finger on the string above the string i need to mute, in this case on the a string which ahppens to be the first..

Oh. I do that when it isn't a powerchord.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
I was trying to find out if other people find that certain parts of the palm on your picking hand cause string noise, or was it just me.