Page 1 of 2
Whats the lowest guitar tuning you have ever heard in a song?

A# in Hatework by Morbid Angel

Bad popular bands in my opinion...all you guys probably love them so I'm probably going to get flamed but oh well:

Slayer - terrible
Iron Maiden - shameful
Metallica- abyssmal
Anthrax - sickening

Replies to both topics please!
Meshuggah plays some songs in E - that is, one octave beneath the standard E. They play it on 8 strings, of course, but I heard someone cover it with a 6 string. A# isn't really impressive, Morbid Angel uses 7-strings and thus it's just a half step down.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by Brucci
Whats the lowest guitar tuning you have ever heard in a song?

A# in Hatework by Morbid Angel

Bad popular bands in my opinion...all you guys probably love them so I'm probably going to get flamed but oh well:

Slayer - terrible
Iron Maiden - shameful
Metallica- abyssmal
Anthrax - sickening

Replies to both topics please!

At least explain why you think this is so.

I dont know the lowest tuning ive ever heard, I dont really care. As far as I know, Ive never ventured past Drop D tuning, I find standard tuning works just fine for most kinds of music.
You might not like them, but those bands were all pioneers. All of them are great musicians. So quit f'ing bashing. You're in the metal forum, remember? So post a useful thread or GTFO.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
bad singing...boring...all the songs are the same...too soft...rubbish riffs...rubbish guitar sound
Quote by Brucci
bad singing...boring...all the songs are the same...too soft...rubbish riffs...rubbish guitar sound

Bruce used to be a god damned opera singer. If you find them boring or sounding all the same, then get your ass off this forum and kill yourself. You don't like metal.
Quote by lizarday
Making a thread here just to list Metallica, Iron Maiden, Anthrax and Slayer as rubbish and then putting your reasons as things like "too soft" and "rubbish guitar sound" is ridiculous.

Music always progresses and bands are always trying to push boundaries further. Complaining now that Metallica are too soft when there are bands like Nile (or many, many others) to compare them to, is forgetting the fact that Metallica, as well as others, were pushing music on from stuff like Kiss and even lighter rock/metal when they emerged.

Not quite sure why you stuck this topic in with another about tuning, but from my experience how low a band tunes tells you nothing about them.
*reported*

Something I should've done way earlier.
Quote by lizarday
Quote by Brucci

Ok, I dont question people not liking a band for whatever reason...but, theres a limit. Bad singing? Too soft? Rubbish guitar sound?

Ill give you the "all the songs are the same", Ill admit that songs can sound the same sometimes, but thats usually the bands sound you are noticing, which is what all bands have. In other words, OF COURSE THE SONGS ARE GOING TO SOUND SOMEWHAT SIMILAR, THE FRIGGN BAND IS THE SAME IS IT NOT?

Rubbish riffs......perhaps you are not a fan of the whole "galloping" sound, that doesnt mean its rubbish.
as i said, i knew i would get flamed...just for my opinion

anyway i didn't say that the tuning tells you alot about a band, its just interesting to hear the low tuned songs as they sound very sludgy and in my opinion cool.

if you go and say "i hate carcass" i dont go and jump on your heads flaming at you like crazy
Last edited by Brucci at Oct 13, 2007,
Quote by Brucci

anyway i didn't say that the tuning tells you alot about a band, its just interesting to hear the low tuned songs as they sound very sludgy and in my opinion cool.

if you go and say "i hate carcass" i dont go and jump on your heads flaming at you like crazy

Then back up your opinions with viable reasons.
Dickless.
Quote by Brucci

lol hate carcass, those 2 words shouldent be combined
Quote by MetalMilitia212
Then back up your opinions with viable reasons.

i did, i said the singing is bad, i dont like the guitar amp sound or the riffs and i think they aren't heavy enough
Quote by Brucci

You need a good spanking.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Brucci
you need a good death metal album

omg leik deth metal is s0 much betar then all teh othar muzik. i onli lisen to deth metal becaz its leik totaly br00tal and stuff. all othar muzik suckz in comparishun and leik iran maydan are leik n00bs lololol.

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
^ Obviously this is tr00f.
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?
You are a disgrace to death metal. Who the hell do you think inspired those bands? Death metal is just extreme thrash. Know your roots, fool.
Quote by lizarday
He thought I was serious?!

Quote by Green_Jelly
You are a disgrace to death metal. Who the hell do you think inspired those bands? Death metal is just extreme thrash. Know your roots, fool.

And thrash spawned from bands like Iron Maiden
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?
I don't like any of those bands either..but I don't feel the need to tell everyone, except right now..but I wouldn't make a thread about it.

if it's not br00tal enough for you, then don't listen, but that's a pretty immature way of looking at it.
Quote by Brucci

Iron Maiden - shameful

Have some respect!
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by Brucci
i did, i said the singing is bad, i dont like the guitar amp sound or the riffs and i think they aren't heavy enough

The singing is technically superior in Iron Maiden to 90% of metal, those 4 bands are almost solely responsible for modern metal and hard rock guitar playing, and "not heavy enough" just shows that you're some faux-hardass who thinks he's cool because he listens to death metal.
Quote by Brucci
you need a good death metal album

Bleeding the False by Aeon?
Human by Death?
Onset of Putrefaction by necrophagist?
Blasphemy Made Flesh by Cryptopsy?

You're not the only one who can name a few death metal albums and call themselves hardcore .

Quote by Brucci
precisely. if you dont listen to death metal you are a girl

Name me 5 true death metal bands without naming Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, or Nile. I'm assuming you just picked up some formative DM and think you're hard **** because of it.
Dickless.
Last edited by MetalMilitia212 at Oct 13, 2007,
Korn uses a sickning tuning
they play 7&5 strings and still drop it, i dont know exacly what the tuning is, because i dont have a 5 string, and noone i know has a 7 string, so i really dont care much lol

but more amazing, Dimmu Borgir plays in standard, but they over dub like 9 times lol
Quote by TheNewDiabolic
Korn uses a sickning tuning
they play 7&5 strings and still drop it, i dont know exacly what the tuning is, because i dont have a 5 string, and noone i know has a 7 string, so i really dont care much lol

but more amazing, Dimmu Borgir plays in standard, but they over dub like 9 times lol

You're kidding?

Korn aren't low or heavy at all, that's an average 7-string tuning.
Dickless.
argument over, cba to argue.....so you win, iron maiden rule...etc

if you choose to argue to this...your wasting your time because it will be ignored
Quote by VoodooBilly
Making a thread here just to list Metallica, Iron Maiden, Anthrax and Slayer as rubbish and then putting your reasons as things like "too soft" and "rubbish guitar sound" is ridiculous.

Music always progresses and bands are always trying to push boundaries further. Complaining now that Metallica are too soft when there are bands like Nile (or many, many others) to compare them to, is forgetting the fact that Metallica, as well as others, were pushing music on from stuff like Kiss and even lighter rock/metal when they emerged.

Not quite sure why you stuck this topic in with another about tuning, but from my experience how low a band tunes tells you nothing about them.

I agree with you entirely dude. I get that crap from the scene/blast beat kids about my love of thrash and older skool metal. We were in an empty classroom at school once, as it happens, there was a cd player and a Sabbath cd inside. I hit play and the wizard came on, I enjoyed it and got on with my work. Then my friend goes "and they call this **** metal???" I just thought wtf!? you're obviously so ignorant of the past that you detract from its brilliance by comparing its heaviness to that of Nile and Dying Fetus - I love those two bands anyway, but it just seems that nobody cares about their influences.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by Brucci

yeah, but you didn't say that was an opinion, you were stating them as if they were facts. Also please give real reasons and look at Maiden for what they did and how heavy they seemed in 1980. You're comparing 1980s production value and 80s heaviness to that of Nile. It's just so ignorant and stupid, making claims like that without real reasons, other than I don't like it.

You would be pissed off if said Carcass are crap, but they're not. And I can broaden my tastes to all sorts of metal.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Page 1 of 2