well ive been playing guitar for around 5-6 years. ive learned like basic chords.. and nirvana stuff down pat, and after playing nothign but covers for a long portion of my guitar career, i got tired and tried to learn more technical stuff.

ive tried learning dream theater, some satriani, master of puppets- metallica. i also started builing my speed with chromatic exercises and a metronome. but the thing is i never learn full songs, and the bits of songs that ive learned seem to lack soul. the chromatic exercises make me feel like a machine with no musical feeling at all. my improvisational skills are not awesome either.

what should i do, i think ive lost motivation........
try discovering a new band, I was motivated like all hell when I first heard Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, and they don't even have a guitarist.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
How's the theory side of your playing? Maybe take a break from being a machine and learn how to write songs/ understand music a bit better.
Dont learn all shred. Learn some stuff from blues legends, like BB King, Eric Johnson, Maybe some Page and Joe Perry. Alot of the times, shredders are very robotic and lack soul imo. Try some Slash stuff. He plays fast, but does have alot of bluesy bends and riffs. He plays amazingly well between shred and blues guitar. Maybe learn some Queens of the Stone Age solos to get better on timing. there stuff alot of the times is hard b/c its so off-time and odd.
ive already learned major scales, pentatonic scales, minor scales.
im also trying the theory part but it doesnt really make sense to me.
and when i attempt to improvise it always sounds the same and so ordinary because im so used to just running up scales.

i was asked to jam yesterday at a friends house and it wasnt the greatest. this is when i realized how little i know about playing guitar.
Quote by qotsa1998
Alot of the times, shredders are very robotic and lack soul imo.

What shredders you been listening to?
~ Gear ~
Epiphone Les Paul
Crate GX-80
Quote by Guitarist132
Finish the quote

"This is _______"
Quote by Aqua Dementia
SPAAAAAAAARRRRTTTAAA! No?
Quote by Guitarist132
Incorrect, the correct answer was papua new guinea

Quote by Aqua Dementia
Whoa, I'm in your sig.
Quote by monkeyboyjr
What shredders you been listening to?

Well, to be fair the point is pretty redundant, since 'soul' in music is subjective.

About your improv, when you're learning to shred you shouldn't just run up and down scales to gain speed, you should do patterns as well, i.e going up in thirds is another basic one, and scale knowledge helps as well, more than knowing just what notes are in there.
Last edited by buckethead_jr at Oct 13, 2007,
Quote by malacoda
ive already learned major scales, pentatonic scales, minor scales.
im also trying the theory part but it doesnt really make sense to me.
and when i attempt to improvise it always sounds the same and so ordinary because im so used to just running up scales.

i was asked to jam yesterday at a friends house and it wasnt the greatest. this is when i realized how little i know about playing guitar.

If i were you i'd try to learn the theory behind all the scales and such so then you'll get a lot better understanding of how to improvise.

You said it doesn't make sense to you (it didn't make sense to me when i started) but you can ask anything in this forum and there's plenty of smart people that can help you.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
you need to listen to music that uses those scales in different ways. like listen to some eric clapton. he uses those simple scales, but he does creative stuff with them. double stops, counterpoint, small sweeps, chord arpeggiation, that's all stuff you can work with in those scales. it's not all about single notes. listen to more melodic music that uses these kinds of things to enhance the song they're playing, and you'll pick them up, and i guarantee you'll find some of it really cool, and you'll add it to your arsenal. then you'll use it whenever you solo, which will make it less mechanical.
Quote by buckethead_jr
Well, to be fair the point is pretty redundant, since 'soul' in music is subjective.

Well..true. It's all a matter of opinion.

Also, to keep on topic and since I didn't contribute on my first post. Try listening to new artists to get inspiration back. Normally, when i'm at a lost, ill throw on some Buckethead or Paul Gilbert. Just listen to new stuff. And has buckethead_jr stated, practice different patterns. Ones that are simple or take it a bit to the next level. Just remember to start slow with a metronome. Also, don't just practice scales and patterns and such. Try jamming a bit. Just playing chords and humming along. Who knows? You could come up with a nice little song.
~ Gear ~
Epiphone Les Paul
Crate GX-80
Quote by Guitarist132
Finish the quote

"This is _______"
Quote by Aqua Dementia
SPAAAAAAAARRRRTTTAAA! No?
Quote by Guitarist132
Incorrect, the correct answer was papua new guinea

Quote by Aqua Dementia
Whoa, I'm in your sig.
with regards to learning how to shred, if i make up patterns, how long should i spend working on it? how fast should i get it up to? and when should i put it away and create a new pattern?
the chromatic exercises make me feel like a machine with no musical feeling at all. my improvisational skills are not awesome either

Well, it's the whole point. It's just to develop speed and flow of movement.

That being said I use pretty much chromatic scales when I solo in my death metal band. And it can definetely be used for something cool.
Quote by 'rockintheblues 14, 2007 2:38 am'
but i really do hate you and hope you and everyone you love is killed in the worst possible ways. i hope i get to spit in your eyes as you let out your final breath