So for the past few months I have been looking for a new amp. I own a Randall RG75DG2 now. It's a nice amp with a good chunky clean sound and a pretty nice dirty sound. It is just a bit too mondern sounding for me though and I would like a bit more of a sparkle on my clean channel. Like I hardly play any modern stuff. You know its kind of hard to get a nice blues tone or Hendrix tone out of a 75w ss amp that was mainly made for metal.

So for a while I thought the Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 Combo was my amp. So I thought this was my amp. But the first time I tried it I wasn't blown away. I thought it was pretty average actually. I tried it out yesterday again and I decided it was definitely not for me. I could not get a nice clean out of it, it was always dark and thick. I messed with the EQ quite a bit and nothing. The gain channel (both modes blues and burn) were also quite noisy and I wasn't impressed. The music store dude said Mesas are known for thick cleans. He didn't classify them as a metal amp but that was kind of what he was saying.

I also got interested in the Fender Deluxe Reverb a few weeks ago. Simple amp, two channels clean (reverb) and vibrato. I heard a dude playing one the other day and I was blown away by it's amazing cleans. It seems great for me, simple amp, not too loud at only 22w. I could use my Keeley modded DS-1, Big Muff Pi or my boutique TS for dirty sounds. So it looks good, any comments about it?

So basically I want...
-tube amp
-not too big (loud)
-nice clean channel
-no more $1300

I figure you can use a pedal for nice dirty sounds but no pedal is going to make your cleans amazing so better to buy a amp with nice cleans rather than a amp with with two decent channels or a great gain channel.

So suggestions on those amps, comments, any other amps you would look at?

Thanks
Yeah if you want the best clean in the world, definately go with a fender, but before you give up on anything else, you should look at Orange amps. absolutely perfect for blues and a nice thick clean sound(not thick like you were talkin about with the mesa), but a nice warm and full clean. And then their gain channels absolutely blow you away with how bluesy they can get. An orange amp really lets the natural tone of your guitar shine through. Im guessing by what you were saying before that your lookin for a combo, so some of their combos go for around 1300 i think...but you could always buy used. hope that helps
Founder of the C.F. Martin & Co. Guitar Owners club.
YOU........should join if you have a Martin.....!!!!
JOIN

My Band: Abaton

Abaton

Check out some of the acoustic stuff on my profile if you want
Id go with a Fender amp. Best cleans in the world imo, as thats what most Fender guitars were made for. Marshall makes some good combos, but most arent made for awesome cleans. Soldano has a single-channel Astroverb head (20w) for a little over $1k. Koch has a 20w tube head as well for $1300. Laney Lionheart tube head is only 20w and is $900. Id go with the Soldano if u can or the Koch.If u have a cab, go for the Koch. Otherwise, get the Fender.
Defintely keep that fender you tried on your list--

I'm not too sure what the best amp is for cleans at that price, but I HAVE played a Fender Hot Rod ( ).

Very nice cleans.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Why not the hot rod? I found the cleans to be fantastic.

But you're right on the bassman!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
The HRD cleans are a bit bassy. It is an all around good amp neither channels are amazing imo though.

And SRV I am modding a VJ does that count as building? haha