so, i would like to have some recording equipment for my guitar (possibly keyboards) and vocals. prefferably able to be connected to a computer via USB.

naturally, i'd also like to have the "best (sound-)quality for the buck"

so any suggestions for mic and recording interface (maybe even mixer if that is necessary or suggested)?

i was thinking shure sm57 and Boss Micro BR?

oh, budget is thus about 300 bucks...hopefully (i can save up more if thats better )

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
i got a line6 toneport. its pretty good for the price (theres a scaled-down version of ableton live for recording, you can only use 4 treacks). its good for things like demos or quick little jams with yourself
I have a sm57, and to be honest its not as good as i was hoping it would be, dont get me wrong its an extremely universal mic, but it does seem to sound a little bit dead sometimes. it is great bang for the buck though, i think i got mine for 60. the mbox 2 mini might be a good investment for you too, works with protools and all. (thats around 300 if i remember correctly)
70's Japan Greco SuperPower
Amps: '65 TRRI - Peavey Classic 50 4x10 - Epiphone VJ Head (Modded) - 2x12 Celestion Greenback Cab
FX: BK Tube Driver - EH Small Stone - MXR CC
Acoustics: Breedlove ADSM20 - Alveraz 5021 12-String
SM57 is your best choice tbh. It's used on pretty much every album with a guitar in it, good snare mic too.
And HellBent, yeah, they're not the brightest of mics, but that's cos the instruments it was designed to record aren't meant to fill that frequency range. Guitars, Snares, stuff like that, it's all mid-range stuff.
Quote by hendriko
so, i would like to have some recording equipment for my guitar (possibly keyboards) and vocals. prefferably able to be connected to a computer via USB.

naturally, i'd also like to have the "best (sound-)quality for the buck"

so any suggestions for mic and recording interface (maybe even mixer if that is necessary or suggested)?

i was thinking shure sm57 and Boss Micro BR?

oh, budget is thus about 300 bucks...hopefully (i can save up more if thats better )

Good luck getting adapters to go from XLR - phone 1/4" and from phone 1/4" - 1/8"...
that would snap the BR in half..........

Just get yourself a TonePort UX1 or UX2. Or if you have a firewire slot on your PC, go for the Mackie with docking base....much better unit overall.

TonePorts are a nice start though. I'm planning on getting the UX1 for Christmas myself as my current recording card wont work with vista.

stick with the SM57 but get a pop filter for it....I just picked one up a week ago and am very happy with it.
If you have Firewire, SM57 + Mackie Onyx Satellite

If you just have USB, SM57 + Toneport UX1
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Quote by thrice_removed
If you have Firewire, SM57 + Mackie Onyx Satellite

If you just have USB, SM57 + Toneport UX1

would it be worth it to get a firewire card (if that exists)...like sound-quality wise?

Quote by moody07747
Good luck getting adapters to go from XLR - phone 1/4" and from phone 1/4" - 1/8"...
that would snap the BR in half..........

damn...true true....alright...micro br....bye

did sound good though, with the drum beats and stuff

Quote by HellBent1337
I have a sm57, and to be honest its not as good as i was hoping it would be, dont get me wrong its an extremely universal mic, but it does seem to sound a little bit dead sometimes. it is great bang for the buck though, i think i got mine for 60. the mbox 2 mini might be a good investment for you too, works with protools and all. (thats around 300 if i remember correctly)

o_O that thing is expensive

any insight on the m-audio fast track?

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by moody07747
yes they have firewire cards you can install on your PC to add a firewire port or 3

check newegg.com

heres a nice one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124003

the mackie unit is much better than the toneports and fasttracks IMO

yea i did a little research and found the same...the mackie really sounds good! its a little expensive...but i can save up for that after i get me ac30

oh, and im in germany, so newegg wont help me much

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame