I've finally saved enough to buy a halfway-decent band instrument but I'm confused as to what to start learning how to play. I know how to play guitar, but I haven't practiced very much, and the thing is, the fact that everyone and their brother plays guitar throws me off a bit. It's damn cool, and it's probably the instrument I'd be best at playing (I have a bass and my hands aren't nearly big enough to play it effeciently, I guess you'd have to see me. Small hands + inflexible wrists + carpal tunnel from hell. Former world of warcraft player lols). But I can't help but be inspired to go out and grab a drum kit after seeing something like this:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qR6cWXSfR1I"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qR6cWXSfR1I" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

edit: err apparently I lose at embedding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR6cWXSfR1I

So how much harder is it to learn drums than guitar? The multiple coordination thing will take me a while, I'm sure, but I'm still unsure as to whether I should go for a guitar or drum kit. Looking for someone with experience in playing either or both instruments to provide advice. Thanks guys.

Regards, Nolan
Last edited by GiftoftheMartyr at Oct 13, 2007,
Rather drums. They're great for just letting it out and having fun, plus everyone needs a drummer.
I used to be a drummer now my set is in the attic all dusty and out of tune. Drumming came so easily to me but after a while playing just seemed to get boring, dont get me wrong its fun but possibilties with guitar are endless I can never see myself getting bored of it.
cheers betch
The thing with guitar is, there's a difference between playing it and knowing how to play it. Drummers are in short supply, in comparison to guitarists. You would probably enjoy drums more.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epiphone EDS-1275
Epiphone Les Paul
Schecter C-1+
Peavey Delta Blues
Yeah, the co-ordination required to play drums intimidates alot of people, but it's really not too difficult if you take things slowly.

Pure beginners at guitar tend to suck just as much as pure beginners to drums, but drummers learn rhythmic skills that can be applied amazingly to any instrument out there.

If you need convincing, Trey Anastasio of Phish started out on drums, and now he's easily at the forefront of guitar improv.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Problem with a drum kit is space. I would damn well have one if my house wasn't so crammed full of ****.
Originally Posted by Kensai
Thx keine_lust, I probably would've missed the chili's if it wasn't for you

SCARECROW of UG's Gotham City
Drums. Personally, the sound better when played solo. As mentioned, everyone needs a dummer and I think getting in a band would be a lot easier as a drummer.
Drums are incredibly easy and fun to play once you've got the basics down. Just need a lot of co-ordination really.
Guitar isn't really as easy to play masterfully as the drums but it's still a fantastic instrument to know how to play.
Consider where you live tho. I couldnt have drums, I don't have the space and my neighbours would kill me. It'd be even worse if I were in an apartment. And also if you start playing in a band, do you have a car to move the drums, etc.

Oh and.. why not get both?
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by Highbinder
Consider where you live tho. I couldnt have drums, I don't have the space and my neighbours would kill me. It'd be even worse if I were in an apartment. And also if you start playing in a band, do you have a car to move the drums, etc.

I agree. If you live in a townhouse or apartment getting a drumset might not be a good idea. I was going to start drums last summer, but decided agaisnt because even though I live in a house, I could still hear my neighbor's drum solos at like 2:30 am.
Oh noes!
i rate u play drums, there so rare and guitarists are so common and borin.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Considering I have been playing drums for about 4 years now and guitar for just over 1 year. I'd say, go for drums. You can come back and try guitar later. Drumming really helps you get a good sense of timing and rhythm down, which a lot of guitarist don't have or don't really think about. If you start as a drummer, than go to guitar later...one, you'll have two instruments under your belt and two, you'll be a bit ahead in the timing/rhythm department. Go with drums, but remember...get pads to mute them.
~ Gear ~
Epiphone Les Paul
Crate GX-80
Quote by Guitarist132
Finish the quote

"This is _______"
Quote by Aqua Dementia
SPAAAAAAAARRRRTTTAAA! No?
Quote by Guitarist132
Incorrect, the correct answer was papua new guinea

Quote by Aqua Dementia
Whoa, I'm in your sig.
Quote by Highbinder

try electronic drums
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Quote by GiftoftheMartyr
I've finally saved enough to buy a halfway-decent band instrument but I'm confused as to what to start learning how to play. I know how to play guitar, but I haven't practiced very much, and the thing is, the fact that everyone and their brother plays guitar throws me off a bit. It's damn cool, and it's probably the instrument I'd be best at playing (I have a bass and my hands aren't nearly big enough to play it effeciently, I guess you'd have to see me. Small hands + inflexible wrists + carpal tunnel from hell. Former world of warcraft player lols). But I can't help but be inspired to go out and grab a drum kit after seeing something like this:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qR6cWXSfR1I"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qR6cWXSfR1I" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

edit: err apparently I lose at embedding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR6cWXSfR1I

So how much harder is it to learn drums than guitar? The multiple coordination thing will take me a while, I'm sure, but I'm still unsure as to whether I should go for a guitar or drum kit. Looking for someone with experience in playing either or both instruments to provide advice. Thanks guys.

Regards, Nolan

try drums
drums get high in price if you cant hold back on adding to your kit all the time like me
same goes for guitar in a way though....

I say go with drums

is he mixing that acoustic kit with some electric pads?
Last edited by moody07747 at Oct 13, 2007,
drums, everyone plays guitar, and the ammount of times ive heard someone say "oh we need a drummer"

whoever said drums are easy, thats total bull**** when you start getting into some serious technique and poly rhythm stuff, then it becomes difficult as your co-ordinating 4 limbs and the rest of the band. Guitars a piece of cake to learn a few chords and scales.
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
Quote by nick dixon

whoever said drums are easy, thats total bull**** when you start getting into some serious technique and poly rhythm stuff, then it becomes difficult as your co-ordinating 4 limbs and the rest of the band. Guitars a piece of cake to learn a few chords and scales.

The Basics Nick
I would have said while drums are probably harder to play initally than a guitar (in time at least), it's easier to get a good, impressive sound out of drums than out of the guitar. Doesn't neccessarily mean that it's easier to play drums at an expert level though.

Plus yes everyone needs a drummer. Including us, meaning I'm going to start learning properly soon cause I've had a set for years and haven't really used them much yet.
Quote by nosushi4you
It doesn't. I like jerking off, but I'm sure as hell not gonna do it with my Dad.
Quote by punkrocker10115
I <3 you!
Yes it is!
Second one to me

Kids, drugs are dangerous. Stay safe.