ok now that i got a few Q's answeared by the wonderful people here at UG

i would like to know your input on these amps as i plan on buying a tube amp in the near future and would like to have a bettor sound than my valvetronix

ive only played the valvejunior and it was great, preatty ****in loud for 5 watts
i guese i have the tubes to thank for that

but i cant seem to find the crate or the peavey at GC

if i do get the epi it will be the half stack

and they all seem to be at the same price range

what i would like is to know is what you guys think is best for the money
and if you have these amps the pros and the cons would be good to know.
and if youve played all three or even two of these amps give me your input as well
thanks
i like the Crate. Good cleans, great OD, very classic-rock ish alone. with a good pedal, it could do nearly anything IMO. Where can u find a Royal 8 tho?? i rly wanna at least try one out. I havent been able to try out a Valve Jr, but i have heard good things about em. I think im gonna end up with a Crate.
i haven't tried the palomino (nor the champion)...

problem with the valve junior halfstack is the money is going way up. The valve junior head is a great little amp if (a) you already have a speaker cab and a few pedals and/or (b) you're willing to mod it (warning, there are lethal voltages inside it!).

If you have to buy a valve junior head, a valve junior cab, an overdrive/booster pedal and a reverb/delay, you could quite possibly have bought a nicer amp, basically.

I know to buy all that in the UK you could quite easily afford a laney vc15, or a peavey windsor studio (if it ever gets released haha) for the same price as all that, even if you were to buy budget versions of those pedals. Heck, even without any pedals, you're pretty close!

The royal 8 is quite nice- it's a little more versatile than the valve junior, in that you can get a bit more gain out of it, and it's also not just so overtly british-sounding. it's still quite warm and british, but you can get a passable american sound out of it, especially with single coils (though granted single coils help in that respect with the valve junior too). However, the Royal 8 only has an 8" speaker, i believe the crate has a 10"? I'm not certain, but if so, that would give you much more scope for upgrading the speaker down the line; eminence has a large range of replacement 10" speakers, for example.

Hope that helped a bit... it's really up to you, basically, and it's really best if you can try them. I doubt you'll go far wrong with any of them (other than if you buy the VJ halfstack and a bunch of pedals, there would have been more efficient uses of your funds), but some may suit you slightly more than others...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I saw the Crate Palomino at GC, but they don't have the Royal 8 in stock (they offered to order it.) I personally wouldn't get the Champion as it only has a 6" speaker (I think) and it will struggle with distortion. The Royal 8 only has an 8" speaker, but does have master volume and a headphone jack. The Palomino has a 10" speaker, if you want to crank it that's probably the way to go. Nothing wrong with Epi's.
that helped alot dave
in that case if i would have to buy pedals and other crap as i figured might aswell buy a windsor wich i havent tought of doing for sure it will be over kill for room practice
but who the hell says you have to use all that wattage
and it will be a monster when i practice with my friends
oh, the peavey windsor studio isn't released yet- it's a 20 watt combo, and has an attenuator (so you can crank it for power tube overdrive while keeping the volume down)...

that's the one I meant.

though in the US it's the same price as the windsor head (here it's a lot cheaper for some reason)... though you'd have to buy a cab for it...

EDIT: This is the one I mean
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i tried the champion. i hated it. too boxy, not loud, i didn't like it.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
id say a valve junior, they sound great if you mod em ( for like 10 bucks in part you get a compltetely different class of amp )
^u still want to change the transformer though. and that's good $30+.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
If you get the valve jr. you can always just buy speakers and make a cab. You could have a 2x12 for the price of their cab, not counting finish work.
Quote by sean tee
If you get the valve jr. you can always just buy speakers and make a cab. You could have a 2x12 for the price of their cab, not counting finish work.

Or pick up a good cab seccond hand.

EC, in my opinion, there are mods for the VJ that don't involve the transformer (or $30) and are still worth doing.

My sig betrays my bias, but I'd say VJ head and a different cab.
I haven't tried the Royal 8, but I've tried all the others (and own the VJ) and think the Palomino is the best of the bunch. The 10" speaker, and master, gain, and tone controls give you the best bang for buck, by far.

Also agree wholeheartedly with the idea that the VJ is ideal for players who already have a cab. And if not, finding a second hand or any other alternate cab for it rather than the (admittedly cute) VJ cab.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
i have a valvetronix amp
the 50vt
is there a way i could use that as a cab because it has celestion 70/80s in it
and now that ive searched a bit more
i saw i could get a valve standard for cheaper than a valvejunior head plus the cab
or get a new one for like 300 flat
or even get it on ebay for like 200 bucks
would the epiphone standard be a bettor choice than
the other three
cheaper or around same price like 50 bucks more, 12 inch speaker, 5 tubes
or is there a catch for the cheapness of it
or is it a steal
^for 300, care saving another 50 bucks for a Crate Palomino V16??? cuz those are (to my ears) the best of the palominos. (i like single channel amps too. super versatile with the turn of my volume knob.)
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^ Two EL84's and three 12AX7's.

I'd also recommend it before the Valve Standard. Very nice amp. Musician's Friend has a blem for under $300, if you're interested.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.