im really need a new amp im waiting for my tax to be returned before i can buy one. i was looking at the randall rx120dhs head and cab set for $1,100 australian thats the max amount ill spent. if any one has this amp could you tell me what its like give me more details about it or recommend something better. also id like something with effects
and it says in the description it has 16 digital effects.

http://www.bmusic.com.au/prod4609.htm
If you want a stack amp, then you wont be very popular around here. They do look awesome, but you dont need that much power. Will u use your new amp for gigging? And could u try to tell me how much $1,100 is in comparison to US cash?
My gear:
Epiphone Limeted Edition Les Paul Custom G-400 with maestro Tremolo

Squire '51

Line 6 Spider II (it sucks but not as bad as people say it does)
Stacks are cool, no doubt about it.

But a pain in the ASS to haul around everwhere.

They used to be popular because we didn't have such powerful combo amps, nowadays everyone uses combos and just wires them up to their venue's PA system cabs.

Get a combo amp. It's so much easier to wire up, and they're still pretty damn reliable.

But if you get a stack and something gets ****ed up with it, good luck getting it into a GC or music store.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
I am not totally against solid state but for than money you could get a nice tube combo which in my opinion would blow it away.
recommend something better then but i want some thing with effects, good clean channel, lots of grunt, and overdrive
i thought it was get a stack if:

you have a little penis
looks > sound quality

-------------------------------------------------------------

that being said mostly about half stacks. 2 x12 cab + head > 2x12 combo imho. 4x12 isnt necessary,
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Not alot of tube amps that i know of have built in effects... correct me if i'm wrong though.

but maybe try a used 5150? because you chose Randall i figure your playing metal?? and the 5150 will have more gain than you will ever need. will be alot louder than your stack there, and will sound so much better.
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
used 5150 combo?
[Peavey]
They're now called 6505's but they're identical bar aesthetics.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
you looked at used gear? I'm not sure how much they go for in AUS, but in the UK and USA they go for around 400-600 £ or $
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

i wouldnt kno were to get a used . id preffer a new amp anyway, but thanks for the help. ive looked at a couple of line6's with effects and other things id like whats your opinion on those?
TS im sorry for the douchebag comment. but buffbiff21 kinda pissed me off.

^^ +1

^ line 6s arent great amps, get a good used tube combo for the best bang for your buck
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
would i be better off saving more money and getting something in the $2000-2500 area
i really need one i have a fender 15g its good for starters but i need something with more bang
hmm, can you link to a Australian site so I can see how much $ get you amps?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by buffbiff21
Get a combo if:

• You have little balls
  • You're poor

At the very least get a 2x12 cabinet.

Im sorry...youre the stupidest person ive ever seen on here.

Either look at a 5150 combo, or a peavey XXX. They both pretty nice high gain amps
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
im still leaning towards the randall. i need a new amp soon i have a band forming so any help for a amp thats good for jamming and gigs in the near future
Quote by buffbiff21
Get a combo if:

• You have little balls
  • You're poor

At the very least get a 2x12 cabinet.

Eejit. So all Orange, Marshall, Fender, Vox, Mesa, Laney, Mojave and boutique combos mean you have little balls and are poor?
Quote by RustedEmbrace
how can you trust used?

By meeting the seller, making sure all the correct pictures are there, sending them an email, don't hand money over before you're sure it works properly etc. Make sure it works properly. Most amps are pick up only anyway, so the seller will let you try the amp before cash exchanges hands.

Unfortunately there's no sure fire way to trust people - but if you see warning signs anywhere with the functionality of the amp, just back out.

Most of the time people are honest about what or why the amp is selling for cheap. It's usually just cosmetic, like rips in the tolex, or one of the knobs might be slightly sketchy. Both of those are replaceable in theory for a small price. And who really cares about a few scratches in the tolex? If you're gigging, it's going to get small amounts of damage along the way - it even gives the amp a bit of character, and often you save plenty of money.
Quote by RustedEmbrace
how can you trust used?

nine times out of ten you'll be fine with a used amp. just play it first if you can, and if you're on ebay, make sure to read everything carefully, and you'll be fine. I haven't had a problem with any of my used equipment yet.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by RustedEmbrace
does the quality of the amp differ from that of a new one?

No, not usually. This is what I'm trying to say. They might be 'broken in' which just means it's literally been used for a couple of years. But often the seller puts new tubes in the amp, and sometimes performance checks on it.

You often get £200 off amps just for a few scratches in the tolex, or a bit of dust here and there. There should be no difference in sound quality between used amps or new ones. In fact, used amps probably might even sound a little bit better, because the speaker will have been broken in, and fresh tubes would be put in as well.
yup- although they may be called the 5150 (same amp, just looks different)
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by RustedEmbrace
so a used 6505 is the way to go?

Yup

And Yngwi3 is right about the 5150. He knows.
Quote by buffbiff21
LMFAO

That said, combos = practice amps, nothing more. If you're SERIOUS about playing guitar, you need a fullblown rig. All there is to it. Nothing better than rattling the earth two blocks away.

You sir, are a complete and total idiot if you truly believe that.
Have you actually heard the volume of a 30-50 watt combo?
Go away, do some research, learn something, then come back.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace