Hi all I'm new to the forums.

I figured I'd come here to get some advice on some new gear.

I listen to Dream Theater pretty much exclusively and I love learning Petrucci's music as it helps me become better technically and musically.

This being said...I need some new gear! I just don't know much about what is considered to be high quality equipment.

I would like a guitar that is well-built, has great tone, a locking trem, the ability to set pretty low action without any buzz, and very importantly...keeps its intonation. Every guitar I've had always runs into intonation problems for some reason haha. I would also like something with a sleek neck. Basically something that is suitable for progressive metal.

Does anyone own the Ernie Ball Musicman Petrucci model guitar? If so, how is it?

As for an amp, I don't need anything huge right now because I am just going to be practicing and recording at home. I just need a relatively small practice amp combo that sounds great. Are there any good ones like this with some onboard effects?

As for a preamp, I have a Pod 2.0 but I'm assuming that is pretty dated these days. Is there anything relatively affordable that sounds great, has a bunch of good effects, and the ability to tweak those effects just how you want?

To set some limitations, my approximate budget is:

guitar: $1000-$1200
amp: $300-$500
preamp: $300-$500

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Tim
Okay.

You should be spending most of your money on a good amp over a good guitar. AMp influences your tone more. You could just pickup a guitar with the same wood as Pretuccis and slap his pups into it. More money to spend on a decent amp that way.

Preamp? I'm guessing your on about a multi effects unit. Imo, a waste of money, you have a pod. And it would provide better tone just to buy individual effects on what you want.
shecter has really good guitars..the demon, blackjack, omen, iBanez is quite goodjust look around

i odn't know many amps...marshall is alright...distortions pretty ****ty though, randalls have good distortion and stuff...i like dem quite a bit, line 5 or 6 or whatever is pretty sweet
and i agree with the guy who said focus on a better amp rather than guitar...amps do influence the tone more
Quote by beckyjc
Okay.

You should be spending most of your money on a good amp over a good guitar. AMp influences your tone more. You could just pickup a guitar with the same wood as Pretuccis and slap his pups into it. More money to spend on a decent amp that way.

Preamp? I'm guessing your on about a multi effects unit. Imo, a waste of money, you have a pod. And it would provide better tone just to buy individual effects on what you want.

I highly disagree.

Why would he buy a cheap guitar when he can spend money and get both a decent guitar and a decent amp?

Especially if he's just going to be practicing and recording.. All the OP would need is a decent amp to run the pod through, or simply just upgrade to a mid-level tube amp like a peavey of some kind.
thanks for the quick replies everyone

beckyjc: ok gotcha so any recommendations for an amp? Are there any decent combos or would I be wasting my money? So you think the Pod will suffice to achieve a good tone paired with a nice amp and guitar?

nolanxxx: yeah I've always been a fan of ibanez maybe i'll just go with a high-end ibanez.

what would the main differences be between a high end ibanez and the Petrucci musicman guitar? I just realized that they run for about 2000-3000....ahh! screw that. But im still curious to know the quality difference between that axe and something else i could pick up for around 800-1000 or less if its used.

thanks again!
I'm not on about him picking up some cheap plank of wood with strings on. It's just looking at his ratioing now to buy a 1 grand guitar and waste it on a $300 amp. Just changing his budget down to like a more even distrubution of cash.

Granted he could get a decent amp at the price. But amp is a more longterm arrangement. Guitars can always be uppgraded later. I'd take a better amp over a better guitar. You can find a good guitar with a lower budget, now a good high gain amp on a low budget is a rare thing.

and i agree with the guy who said focus on a better amp rather than guitar...amps do influence the tone more

Congrats person #78978543 on mistaking my gender even though i have it written in my user title.
Well, with the petrucci, your paying for a sig guitar.
Maybe one of the Prestige Ibanez' wouldnt be a bad idea.
I don't know all too much on High gain amps, more of a blues player personally.

Used 6505 combo?
ENGL Screamer?
Yadda, dont quote me on these, just ones that've popped up in my head.

THey're especially high wattage, so they aren't really perfect for your situation, maybe an attenuator would work? Or you could look some boutique amps. Or a more mid gain amp with an OD pedal. I'm sure somone else would be able to provide some better info.
If you want to get as close to DT's tone without buying a Roadking or Mark IV (since you said you don't need that much power), look into a Mesa F-30, granted this amp can get VERY loud, but still sounds very nice at low volumes. It doesn't have the built in effects you want, but they're fairly cheap used now and you'd have plently of money left over to buy single effects. It also has a recording out on it and amp mute so you can record at all hours.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
I highly disagree.

Why would he buy a cheap guitar when he can spend money and get both a decent guitar and a decent amp?

Especially if he's just going to be practicing and recording.. All the OP would need is a decent amp to run the pod through, or simply just upgrade to a mid-level tube amp like a peavey of some kind.

how much does a used 5150/xxx go? that'd be a pretty good call...

new mesa express is maybe worth a look, though i haven't been able to try it yet... might not get heavy enough, and also possibly blowing a bit much on the amp... while i agree with becky that the amp is generally more important than the guitar, I wouldn't want to play a $200 guitar through a $1500 amp, I'd rather split things a little more evenly... depends on your preference etc. too. used f series would be a good call too if you can get one cheap enough.

for the intonation on the guitar- how about something with a buzz feiten system (or earvana nut)? that normally sweetens things up a bit...

and nice to see you back, man.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
how much does a used 5150/xxx go? that'd be a pretty good call...

new mesa express is maybe worth a look, though i haven't been able to try it yet... might not get heavy enough, and also possibly blowing a bit much on the amp... while i agree with becky that the amp is generally more important than the guitar, I wouldn't want to play a $200 guitar through a $1500 amp, I'd rather split things a little more evenly... depends on your preference etc. too. used f series would be a good call too if you can get one cheap enough.

for the intonation on the guitar- how about something with a buzz feiten system (or earvana nut)? that normally sweetens things up a bit...

and nice to see you back, man.

Aren't the mesa express amps like £1200?

If so, thats roughly $2200 which completely blows his whole maximum budget on just an amp...
^ yeah, but we get ripped on mesas... they frequently go for less in $ than we have to pay in £...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i would do Ibanez personally and RG or S

as far as amps Marshall can get real expensive along with mesa boogie...so i don't know about amps
myspace.com/crystalignition
thanks for the continuing feed everyone...im looking into that mesa amp and checking out some jackson and ibanez guitars.

i actually have an ibanez RG (i think its a 570) im borrowing from a friend and i love it....but it is constantly running into intonation and tuning problems even after i adjusted the intonation. i love the feel of it though so ibanez is definitely a high consideration.

which specific model ibanez in the RG series should i look into? im going up to sam ash/guitar center soon to try everything out but they never have the guitars set up right so i figured id get some info in here first.

thanks again!
Quote by guitarcrazy1991
Aren't the mesa express amps like £1200?

If so, thats roughly $2200 which completely blows his whole maximum budget on just an amp...

In the UK, the price you get in pounds is about how much it costs here in dollars so for Mesa... £1200=$1200.

The Express Series is a lower gain amp, it doesn't have enough gain for what you want. I really don't know how they replaced the F series with that, I was expecting the same amount of gain but was really let down.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com