Page 1 of 3
So basically I started reading this because I felt like I needed a challenge.
I'm fourteen [year 9] and was just wondering how old you were when you read it? Assuming that the well educated minds of the Pit have read it.
Hey Meg.
Proud of you.
i read it when i was 15 (10th grade)
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
I probably read it about then, one of the best books i've read.
Satan isn't inside a guitar pick. He's in here. In our hearts. He's what makes us not want to go to work, or excercise or tell the truth. He's that little voice in your mind that says "Fuck you" to the people you hate.
^^^that is a good read
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
I read it just a few weeks ago, (I'm 15)

Great book. I like George Orwells writing.
Of Mice and Men is really good too
Satan isn't inside a guitar pick. He's in here. In our hearts. He's what makes us not want to go to work, or excercise or tell the truth. He's that little voice in your mind that says "Fuck you" to the people you hate.
anyone read brave new world also?
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
I've wanted to
i read it in grade 10, but only because it was a requirement for my school.. its actually a basic book, but the point is that you are supposed to look past the basic depression crap stuff and find symbols and representations of flaws that exist/existed today.
you might read it in your sophomore year. but yeah, its pretty good, i liked animal farm better though
I read it in grade 12 english. I really didnt think it was that great though.
And before he died, Taran-Ish had scrawled upon the altar of chrysolite with coarse shaky strokes the sign of DOOM.
I read it a couple of years back. It really only got really good near the end i thought, you knew what would happen until then. There are better dystopian fiction books though like Brave New World by huxley and We by Yevgeny Zamyatin.
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
I didn't read it.

I read "The book that allows you to feel you are better than everyone and as if you have a secret insight into the terrible parts of life and government even though you've only read this one book" by Distopian Douche.

That's a good one, but it's no "We".
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

I've read Brave New World and 1984. They're both great in their own ways, and both terrifying. Read Animal Farm as well, a nice little book.

To the asshole who thinks people read it to make themselves feel smarter: Screw off, man. People read to digest new ideas. We're obviously going to think about the subject matter, but that doesn't mean we think we've got one up on everyone else.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
15 (10th Grade)

I chose to read it for an INS but im not a fan of reading so i got it on CD then the guys voice was too boring so the night before my oral presentation i was reading about the book on the internet and i started to regret not reading the full thing because i actually looked captivating and intriguing but I still havent picked up a copy.....
^This post was probably sarcastic

GO LEAFS GO

Chief Executive Officer of Music Games of THE ULTIMATE-GUITAR GAMING FORCE
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
I didn't read it.

I read "The book that allows you to feel you are better than everyone and as if you have a secret insight into the terrible parts of life and government even though you've only read this one book" by Distopian Douche.

"That Hidde's a cool guy" -Abe Lincoln
"Hidde? Yeah we jam all the time" -Steve Vai
"Remember that time when burt jumped out of the tree and into the river? Good times!" -Jesus

So I heard you liek profiles?
Quote by Muphin
I've read Brave New World and 1984. They're both great in their own ways, and both terrifying. Read Animal Farm as well, a nice little book.

To the asshole who thinks people read it to make themselves feel smarter: Screw off, man. People read to digest new ideas. We're obviously going to think about the subject matter, but that doesn't mean we think we've got one up on everyone else.

In my experience, it does. I can't stand the people that I know (and these are real people, by the way, not internet users on UG) who read 1984, or The Fountainhead.
apart from the fact that everyone who reads it thinks they suddenly have superior insight into the human mind and the mechanics of society, the book itself is a good read. the writing is a bit slow at first as you try to adjust to the very grey, morbid mood of it all, but when you get going it starts to really move you. the naivety of the main character (whose name i've forgotten) gets to you right up to the end. and i especially like the relationship he forms with the guy who tortures him (whose name i have also forgotten). it kinda gives a hint that the guy who tortures him knows that the method of thinking he must conform to is wrong, but he won't go against it for fear of death; but this allows him to form a strong bond with the main character, because he admires his ability to go against big brother and stand up for what he knows is right.
Quote by Muphin

agreed, the whole point of reading a novel that everyone else has read, but still be able to find your own personal link and insight towards it and understand it being unique.
I read it only a few months ago, I'm nearly fifteen now. It's amazing, so bleak and so interesting, amazing to think if the near future will be lik eit.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by freddaahh
I read it only a few months ago, I'm nearly fifteen now. It's amazing, so bleak and so interesting, amazing to think if the near future will be lik eit.

Orwell wrote the book in 1944-1946... predicting what troubles in society would arise in 1984... i doubt we will have an orwellian government system any time soon.
I liked the beginning, hated the end...
Quote by GiantRaven
Yes

but it was odd, we didn't have anything overly important stolen

and among the stolen items: Bananas

Quote by Vantage
Some guy stole one of my pants and the plastic bottles.
ive bought the book, didnt get around to reading yet, because i want to finish my other book first, but ive heard some good things about it.
♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪

Quote by Rune Playaz
I vote thycrusader for 'The guy who hit the nail on the head'

Quote by Emilyyy.
thycrusader = Thigh_Crusader
I read it last month.
It wasn't a very challenging read, but I really liked the story.
It's a perfect world, if you can fit in to it, although if you're like the main character, you're ****ed. Just love big brother, and everything's fine.
Gosh.
2+2=5.
i was 16 (grade 12) when i read it. along with brave new world, anthem, fahrenheit 451, those were pretty good books. but i liked 1984 the best. but the movie was real bad... the naked chick was so ugly. so don't watch the movie. read the book.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Muphin

+1. I have read it and it was very entertaining. I'm one of the people on the forum who probably reads the most, but mostly just for pleasure...not to say "Oh I've read so many books, therefore, I am smarter than you." Yes, to digest new ideas as Muphin said, broaden my horizons and that, but mostly just for pleasure. I didn't really find 1984 a challenge though..
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

Didn't read it. I read Brave New World tho, it has some similarities to 1984, tho written earlier in time. Good read that was.
Quote by hippie_cune
Stukart, you're the most awesome human being I have ever met. I love you
Quote by PullTigerTail
So basically I started reading this because I felt like I needed a challenge.
I'm fourteen [year 9] and was just wondering how old you were when you read it? Assuming that the well educated minds of the Pit have read it.

I'm pretty sure it was the worst thing I've ever read cover-to-cover. I tried The Bible but I couldn't make it.

First it's just a blindingly dull book. That was my first problem.

Second, there seemed to be a certain creativity and rather stark pessimism to the whole structure of it. It felt like an artistic experiment that really just failed.

Thirdly, whether Orwell was aware of it or not, the book seems to promulgate seriously flawed conceptions of the character and motives of power. Powerful groups and individuals tend to have very specific self-interests they're acting for, and while class interest can sometimes intervene, overall there's a patten where they act to enrich their wonderful lives, rather than destroying themselves in the pursuit of further control. It's kinda important we keep this in mind.
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"
Quote by blues-guitarist
anyone read brave new world also?

yea, both books are pretty cool, I do dislike all the cult wanking over them however.
Forgot to mention I read Brave New World too.
I like that much more than 1984, because to me, Brave New World was pretty interesting, and after reading that, 1984 seemed a little banal...
I'd rather read a good story than a "challenging book"
But all of the Negative Utopia things are my favorite types of books, so they're both some of my favorite books.
Man in the high castle's kinda cool as well if you're into the whole dystopia thing, although I read it when I was a kid (13/14) so I may have a skewed view of how good it actually is...
I'm going to read it over the course of the next week. I'm 17.
Quote by nosushi4you
It doesn't. I like jerking off, but I'm sure as hell not gonna do it with my Dad.
Quote by punkrocker10115
I <3 you!
Yes it is!
Second one to me

Kids, drugs are dangerous. Stay safe.
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
I didn't read it.

Can I have permission to write that book? Haha. As a tribute.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Finally got a chance a few months back, I'm 17. I thought it was great.

Brave New World is good too, mainly because of the idea of how social conditioning and the pleasures keeping them all subdued instead of fear and hatred of a totalitarian regime was pretty unusual, but I thought it was pretty perceptive myself. I thought 1984 was a better book though, as the characters in Brave New World weren't very deep and 1984 had a better story IMO. I think everyone knows that these sorts of societies won't happen, but their purpose is to show how certain things can point a society towards dystopia. I don't think we'll ever get the the point of burning books (ie Fahrenheit 451) but the idea is to show how new technology can be used to distract the public as they mindlessly watch bigass tv's and things like that, or how surveillance of people's homes is a bad thing in 1984, or whatever. Just cool stuff to think about. I always liked the idea of the dystopia books, it's interesting stuff lol.

I don't think it's a very hard read, though. I can see how someone could think it starts off dull in the beginning though, but that's the point, the reader actually feels dreary just thinking about being the guy.
Page 1 of 3