I was thinking about saving up and buying a Gibson Explorer, but i've heard the QC is shoddy nowadays. Is it worth he ~1K for an Explorer? I want a somewhat large HH/HSH guitar for hard rock and metal.
idk. go somewhere and see if its a good decision. maybe look into some ESP EX series. They would probably work just as well, if not better. or maybe some Dean Z or MLs.
Have a look at a few Framus's. I'm not sure what model, but just look till you find the right one. Otherwise, I'd second upgrading an Epi explorer, even if it is just putting the gibson pickups on it. The ceramics on those are damn nice.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
The bad QC rap is exagerated in my opinion. There are a very few lemons.
Gibson quality control is not what it used to be, but with that being said, if you want a good quality Gibson you need to control the neck joint, the PUs, the bridge and that the neck is straight with a slight curve. If you don't see anything wrong with any of those things, I say go for it. Simple as that. The wood quality is still great and the neck still plays so awesome
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Are there any cons with Explorers? How are the stock pickups? How's the upper fret access? Is it comfortable to play sitting?
Well those pickups kick ass. The 500T in the bridge is a monster. Solid mahogany body + those pickups= great distortion and good articulation. It will be a dark-sounding instrument, with all the great treble of an SG plus more midrange, although less midrange than an LP. It looks a little wacked out to me as I prefer more traditional shapes, but I played a couple in the store and found that its very well balanced and comfortable which was surprising.
The biggest con is probably the shape. If you're not careful you're gonna hit it on a bunch of stuff, they're pretty heavy, and they dont' fit on the occasional guitar stand.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Ippon
Another one is that if you have a slight build, it'll make you look even smaller. But who cares, it's an awesome guitar.

Haha, I have an explorer studio and its 10% smaller and still looks huge on me...I should start steroids or something

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I used to collect Gibsons and Explorers and V were my favorites. I don't know how good the QC is on the newer stuff but the older stuff was great!. I was told Epiphone QC is far superior than Gibsons and I think that's strange seeing they are sister companies. IMHO for the prices Gibson charges thier QC should be a #1 priority. If I were you I would look into an older Explorer. I haven't bought a used/vintage Explorer in a long time but my friend Dennis still does and he has several awesome ones. When he was desperate for cash he was willing to sell me an 82 Explorer for only $350.00 like a dope I passed but in his defense he got $800.00 for it about a month later. Last count he had something like eight Explorers. He bought an Epiphone Korina Explorer at a show we went to last year with the case for $280.00 brand new. I have played it and I like it better than a few of his Gibsons and he agrees. I understand you asking for opinions and I think you get a lot of feedback here that will help in your choice. The only way to really buy a guitar is to try out several and see what you like after all it's you that will have to live with your choice. I have been told many times to not buy a certain guitar but I try them out and if I like them they come home with me. About a month ago I got an Epiphone black and white custom shop, guitar of the month Flying V at Daddys for less than $250.00 use. It plays awesome just as well as some of the Gibson vs I have owned and it's in mint condition. You can find deals if you take your time and don't jump on the first thing you see. I look for deals sometime I buy a guitar just because I get it for a fraction of the cost.

John
The only con i see with it is that i never know how it is supposed to stand when im not using it.
i've gotta second looking into an older model, pre 1990.

ive owned a 79 E2 and played a 2005 standard. they feel like different guitars (which they are, but i wasnt expecting THAT much difference). the 79 played like a quality, handmade instrument whereas the 05 had a very manufactured feel to it.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
I like my explorers. I don't use the neck pickup on it's own so much so I can't give you a good opinion on that. I blend it in to thicken the sound a little for rhythm. Balance is great. Haven't played the Epi, but if you have the money I wouldn't bother, if my experience with Epi and Gibby V's is any comparison. Get the gibby, it's better wood. The stock pickups are pretty hot (I had to drop them down to get the sound I wanted) and very articulate. The body and neck are the same material so balance is excellent.

Finish might feel a little tacky for the first 6 months you have it or so till it breaks in since it's nitro.
idk about that
i got a white one a few months ago
I love it
although the intonation keeps going off a bit
the neck has too much bend on mine But the guy at GC kept my Truss Rod Wrench

It's a guitar- if you keep good care of it you'll like it

i like mine
Damn the sunburst one looks nice, but I dont think they make them, even though the picture of it is on the music sites.
Yeah it seems the suinburst models i've seen are from the 90's.

Would a used 90's one in good condition be better than a new 07 model?

Sunburst is so pretty
Quality started to dip in the mid 90's IMO so if you go for a used one, anythin before 94/95 would be better. Saying that the only real issues gibson had with quality control were atention to detail regading the finish and the fretting was a little sloppy. The fretting could be sorted easily but the finish is more of a problem. The new ones I've seen seem to be spot on, they've really got there act together.
Quote by jscustomguitars
Quality started to dip in the mid 90's IMO so if you go for a used one, anythin before 94/95 would be better. Saying that the only real issues gibson had with quality control were atention to detail regading the finish and the fretting was a little sloppy. The fretting could be sorted easily but the finish is more of a problem. The new ones I've seen seem to be spot on, they've really got there act together.
So new 07 ones and pre 95 ones?
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by ldnovelo
Nah I dont like EMGs, and i'm definitely not going for a Dime guitar or a V
Quote by uldhppi
Well those pickups kick ass. The 500T in the bridge is a monster. Solid mahogany body + those pickups= great distortion and good articulation. It will be a dark-sounding instrument, with all the great treble of an SG plus more midrange, although less midrange than an LP. It looks a little wacked out to me as I prefer more traditional shapes, but I played a couple in the store and found that its very well balanced and comfortable which was surprising.

so true. my buddy has the Epi versions upgraded with the Gibson PUs and they sound similar to my Gibson through my H&K amp.
Quote by TJM2482
Damn the sunburst one looks nice, but I dont think they make them, even though the picture of it is on the music sites.

Gibson Explorer Pro

They come in tobacco sunburst and Mahogany. They're 10% smaller too, making them lighter and more comfortable.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio