I don't understand it. What is the point in not having your guitar in the tuning EADGBe , but having it in some completely different tuning instead? Is it for the effect?
My Guitar teacher refuses to teach me Slipknot songs due to the very low tunings, which is annoying.

Also, if there is a point behind the different tunings, which tunings give what effect?

Im quite new to UG btw.

But thank you
"F*ck the guitar solos!!" - Olli Vänskä

Quote by Capt_Clarkson
I dont know whats worse, you going out with a peadophile, or the fact you went to see Dragonforce
Err... DragonForce?

Happily married to SuperKoolKid
get a new teacher if he won't teach you songs in different tunings. that's just stupid of him.
Quote by gallagher2006
This one time I went out at night and sexually assaulted 2 girls then murdered them and hid their bodies never to be found.

I pwned as a 7 year old
Quote by jpharaoh69
get a new teacher if he won't teach you songs in different tunings. that's just stupid of him.

Yeah get a new teacher!

I teach all tunings.

As to having lots of tunings it plain and simply changes the sounds of the guitar. Making more things possible.

And welcome to UG.
basically metal bands tune lower to be heavier. My band plays in Drop A# which is

E>D#>D>C#>C>B>A#

quite a few notes lower. Some musicians play in different tuning for the sound and different creative ability you can get from playing in a new tuning. for example, Im writing an acoustic song in AACEBB. Its an A minor tuning. Theres a lot of reasons to tune differently. Its a whole new world in a different tuning.
Oo thank you for the tips!

Lmao! Nah, I wont get a new teacher, ive just started doing grades now, he's just being a bit closed minded.

Hmm, I guess different tunings are pretty good then. But im probably to inexperienced to use them and understand them fully

Quote by Capt_Clarkson
I dont know whats worse, you going out with a peadophile, or the fact you went to see Dragonforce
Err... DragonForce?

why do you think standard tuning is standard?
you can tune the guitar to whatever the hell you want

be original. Use something totally ****ed up like playing everthing in open C or open D6 or open Gsus4 or whatever crazy tuning

and as far as low tunings go: most of them are either standard or drop D
you don't have to tune down a halfstep to learn a Guns and Roses song (unless you have a tremendous desire to play along to the original song)
Quote by Nizzi
I don't understand it. What is the point in not having your guitar in the tuning EADGBe , but having it in some completely different tuning instead? Is it for the effect?
My Guitar teacher refuses to teach me Slipknot songs due to the very low tunings, which is annoying.

Also, if there is a point behind the different tunings, which tunings give what effect?

Im quite new to UG btw.

But thank you

Whats even more annoying is being a teacher, and having some kid bring in Slipknot songs everyweek.

But seriously they either have 2 guitars, and/or add alot of studio overdubs to the point where you cant really play a whole song with 1 guitar and make it sound like the CD. Its really kind of pointless to teach that stuff in a lesson. personally i try to teach things that I think the student could actually play and make sound good, so I try to avoid bands like slipknot.

Another thing thats annoying is that the kids who bring that stuff in, usually cant even tune their guitar themselves. So if you show a kid a drop B riff, they are stuck in that tuning all week (and it usually goes out). So they come back the next week, out of tune and frustrated that they still sound like crap.

What tuning gets what effect? well if you like slipknot, and bands of that type, its all about tuning low. Drop C and lower. Why ? I dunno... its a fad, everyone does it now.
It sounds evil n stuff.... especially if you grunt and scream over it.
Whats even more annoying is being a teacher, and having some kid bring in Slipknot songs everyweek.

exactly.i had to teach a guy who wouldnt play in standard and expected me to retune my floyd for his lessons
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Drop C# and Drop D ftw.

Alot of modern bands that I like use Drop C# such as Enter Shikari, The Blackout etcetc.

people like the Gallows use Drop D, and they are still quite heavy.

Its so you can play lower notes, whereas in standard the lowest u can get is a Low E, when if that string is tuned to drop D, you can get a low D sound.

plus you can play power chords without using the fret hand.
Quote by Eggmond
exactly.i had to teach a guy who wouldnt play in standard and expected me to retune my floyd for his lessons

I can understand the frustration, but they are paying you to be taught what they want.
I can understand the frustration, but they are paying you to be taught what they want.

he said he wanted to shred so any excersises i gave him had to be adjusted for the tuning and then the lost their effectiveness
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by jpharaoh69

No no, tuning a 'normal' guitar to as low as Slipknot tunings isn't good. You'd need a decent guitar with a longer scale neck and setup properly for it to achieve good results :-^

My mate does it on his cheap knock-off strat, and it makes it sound and feel very bad, and constantly go out of tune (more so than normally).

And you'd use lower tunings to get a deeper growl from the guitar/amp. Or alternate tunings to get a different sound. Same reason people use capos, to get higher tunings.. Sounds very pleasant to the ears, similar to a piano -- If that makes sense.
My band recently decided to tune half a step down, to make it easier for the singer. Not only that, it makes my bends easier.

Sometimes I like to use Drop D (on my non-floyd guitar) or Drop Db (since we're half a step down) so I can hammer on, pull off and slide powerchords. And because I like Tool.

I'm not much of a slide player, but open tunings are good for slide playing.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by GuitarMunky

hahaha, yeh it probably is. But im doing grades now, so all is well.

Quote by Capt_Clarkson
Err... DragonForce?

Quote by GuitarMunky

But seriously they either have 2 guitars, and/or add alot of studio overdubs to the point where you cant really play a whole song with 1 guitar and make it sound like the CD. Its really kind of pointless to teach that stuff in a lesson. personally i try to teach things that I think the student could actually play and make sound good, so I try to avoid bands like slipknot.

Yeh slipknot has to be one of the worst bands to try and play along to, just because of the amouts of effects they use. But there not studio overdubs, it's all done from pedals as far as I know so you could technically recreate their sound. I love slipknot to listen to but playing along just doesn't do it for me...
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

Quote by Nizzi
Oo thank you for the tips!

Lmao! Nah, I wont get a new teacher, ive just started doing grades now, he's just being a bit closed minded.

Hmm, I guess different tunings are pretty good then. But im probably to inexperienced to use them and understand them fully

Exactly - learn to play the guitar first, then worry about mucking around with the tuning.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
well if you are going to be a teacher you should honestly own a non floyd guitar for the tunings.and the floyd for your own use...think how many kids are turned off of guitar because thier teacher is narrow minded and wants to teach kids what they want to teach?i had a teacher like that in the early 90's it last a month before i said the hell with him i wanted to learn slayer and thrash metal in general.so instead of teaching me the riffs slowly and tell me to build up speed or say showing me mandotory suicide which is quite easy he shows me stuff like kings x and hendrix.then proceeds to play metal solos saying things like know this song?have you heard this?how about teaching techniques instead of showing off for my money?sorry had to rant about teachers
Quote by sidereal9
well if you are going to be a teacher you should honestly own a non floyd guitar for the tunings.and the floyd for your own use...think how many kids are turned off of guitar because thier teacher is narrow minded and wants to teach kids what they want to teach?i had a teacher like that in the early 90's it last a month before i said the hell with him i wanted to learn slayer and thrash metal in general.so instead of teaching me the riffs slowly and tell me to build up speed or say showing me mandotory suicide which is quite easy he shows me stuff like kings x and hendrix.then proceeds to play metal solos saying things like know this song?have you heard this?how about teaching techniques instead of showing off for my money?sorry had to rant about teachers

No you shouldn't...if you're at the stage when you're mucking around with tunings then you shouldn't need a teacher.

If you LEARN TO PLAY THE GUITAR then you'll be fine, it's your problem if you can't apply that knowledge correctly, you don't need to be taught how to play in different tunings ffs.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by dannyyy
Drop C# and Drop D ftw.

Alot of modern bands that I like use Drop C# such as Enter Shikari, The Blackout etcetc.

people like the Gallows use Drop D, and they are still quite heavy.

Its so you can play lower notes, whereas in standard the lowest u can get is a Low E, when if that string is tuned to drop D, you can get a low D sound.

plus you can play power chords without using the fret hand.

I've just tuned my guitar in to Drop-C to play 'Bad Horsie', and it sounds incredible, totally badass. I think I'll leave it like this for a while.
Hmmm, I don't think that just tuning the guitar to say drop C will give it a heavy sound - a perfect example of this is metallica. They use Standard tuning for almost all of the songs and still manage to sound heavy (Though th key of Em does get incredulously boring). And nickelback (aww gawwwd, I know) on the other hand use a lot of drop C and still manage to sound like mainstream pop. Shrugs.

You will find that just tuning your guitar to drop C or whatever will not immediately give you a heavy sound - you will have to learn to play well first =]
you can play the same things in Drop C and normal tuning (atleast much of it). Not open strings and such, but much of it. Drop C is just nicer to play much of the heavy stuff in due to the extra lower notes and the barre chord power chords.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
The lowest I've gone is Drop D, half step down. Or was it whole step down, drop D...

Whatever. I don't play any metal, but I alternate tune for bands like Nirvana, Beatles (Yesterday, a few others), Rolling Stones (annoying as fick), and Hendrix.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Yeah, that would be a whole step down :P. Well, I don't know. I think Drop D is where you just tune your low E string down a step.

I personally love Drop C. CGCFAD.

One reason your teacher might not want you messing around with tunings is that you might not know how to do it yourself and most of the stuff he wants you practicing probably utilizes standard tuning, half a step down sometimes maybe. Not to mention it's bad for your strings to make extreme tuning changes two or three times a day (playing Slipknot songs, then tuning back to standard, then getting the urge to play Slipknot songs again).
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Plus to tune to slipknot (i think they use Drop A#... not too sure, I know its down there somewhere), you'd need thicker string gauges, need to get your bridge and nut fixed for the thicker strings, and your guitar re-intonated... that's if you really care that much and want to always play in that tuning.

Personally, I love D Standard (DGCFAD), Drop B (BF#BEG#C#), and C# Standard (C#F#BEG#C#).

I don't too much like Drop D or Drop C... simply because they are both incredibly overused, plus Dark Tranquillity (one of my favorite bands) Uses that quite a bit (Drop B) in their new stuff and I just got used to playing in the tuning, so meh. C# standard is fun, its different, and I dunno somethin about it makes your guitar sound much more "mature"... maybe I'm just weird.
~~You are nothing. I am a God among men, creating the Universe before leaving you blinded and wandering.~~
Letters to Zaya
Quote by michal23
Hmmm, I don't think that just tuning the guitar to say drop C will give it a heavy sound - a perfect example of this is metallica. They use Standard tuning for almost all of the songs and still manage to sound heavy (Though th key of Em does get incredulously boring). And nickelback (aww gawwwd, I know) on the other hand use a lot of drop C and still manage to sound like mainstream pop. Shrugs.

You will find that just tuning your guitar to drop C or whatever will not immediately give you a heavy sound - you will have to learn to play well first =]

It's because of the production of both bands.

Not the tuning.
Member #8 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Yeah, I like Nickelback . A lot of their songs are standard tuning also. Keep in mind that how "heavy" you sound does not depend on the tuning. That's not the point of tuning your guitar. You tune your guitar to accommodate the sound you are trying to get. Different tunings have different feels and sounds (logically). Also, some songs require it. Some songs have chords in them that are lower than what you can achieve with standard tuning, and tuning your guitar down a step or two is a lot better than ducttaping your wammy bar down (lol).

You can play heavy with standard tuning (and any tuning) if you use the setting on your amp correctly. Try 7 treble, 2 middle, 10 bass, 6.5+ gain 1, 6.5+ gain 2, distortion on. If you can't play heavy with that, there's definitely something wrong with you.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Quote by philipp122
Yeah, I like Nickelback . A lot of their songs are standard tuning also. Keep in mind that how "heavy" you sound does not depend on the tuning. That's not the point of tuning your guitar. You tune your guitar to accommodate the sound you are trying to get. Different tunings have different feels and sounds (logically). Also, some songs require it. Some songs have chords in them that are lower than what you can achieve with standard tuning, and tuning your guitar down a step or two is a lot better than ducttaping your wammy bar down (lol).

You can play heavy with standard tuning (and any tuning) if you use the setting on your amp correctly. Try 7 treble, 2 middle, 10 bass, 6.5+ gain 1, 6.5+ gain 2, distortion on. If you can't play heavy with that, there's definitely something wrong with you.

That's exactly what I'm trying to say - you do not have to tune down to play heavy, but tuning down will not necessarily give you a heavy sound either =]
Quote by michal23
That's exactly what I'm trying to say - you do not have to tune down to play heavy, but tuning down will not necessarily give you a heavy sound either =]

That may be true, but in general, people DO tune down specifically for the purpose of sounding heavier.

I agree though that you can sound "heavy" without tuning down. No one asked whether or not you could sound heavy in standard tuning...... the question was "why do people tune different" As far as tuning low is concerned, sounding heavy is in many cases the primary goal. (not necesarrily the only reason... but for bands like slipknot, it certainly is a factor)
Quote by philipp122
Yeah, I like Nickelback . A lot of their songs are standard tuning also. Keep in mind that how "heavy" you sound does not depend on the tuning.

actually most of their songs are in Drop D or Drop Db. I think I've only come across 1 that is in standard tuning. Their "heavier" sounding songs are generally in drop tuning.

Quote by philipp122
That's not the point of tuning your guitar. You tune your guitar to accommodate the sound you are trying to get..

Yup exactly.

Bands like Black Sabbath tuned down low in some songs too achieve a heavier, thicker sound.

There are alot of reasons to tune down. Some do it for the sound (sounding heavier).... some do it to accomdate their singers range. Some just do it cause everyone else does it.
Is drop D DAdGBE ?
whats drop C ?

Quote by Capt_Clarkson
Err... DragonForce?

Ok thnx
doesnt make any sense to me though lol

Quote by Capt_Clarkson
Err... DragonForce?

Once you've mastered the basics of theory, as well as actual playing technique, you'll start to explore other area's that you aren't familiar with.

That's the key to sticking with an instrument, imho. Not allowing yourself to be tied down to one particular thing, be it genre's, scales for improvising, tone, etc.
Learn them yourself? No matter how inexperienced you are, you should be able to play 99% of Slipknot songs. Why have a guitar teacher to teach you songs you can learn by yourself?
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
Learn them yourself? No matter how inexperienced you are, you should be able to play 99% of Slipknot songs. Why have a guitar teacher to teach you songs you can learn by yourself?

Nub. Slipknot guitar lines can be really hard to play, especially the newer stuff.
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

Quote by Peanut1614
Nub. Slipknot guitar lines can be really hard to play, especially the newer stuff.

Maybe that one song with the tiny little sweeping intro, but other than that it's easy as ****, and their solos are Kerry King without the finesse and self-control of that bald maniac.

EDIT: I know this because my ex had me learn a bunch of their songs .
Dickless.
Last edited by MetalMilitia212 at Oct 14, 2007,
To hit lower notes and sound heavier mostly. Or to make things easier to play.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by GuitarMunky

Another thing thats annoying is that the kids who bring that stuff in, usually cant even tune their guitar themselves. So if you show a kid a drop B riff, they are stuck in that tuning all week (and it usually goes out). So they come back the next week, out of tune and frustrated that they still sound like crap.

What tuning gets what effect? well if you like slipknot, and bands of that type, its all about tuning low. Drop C and lower. Why ? I dunno... its a fad, everyone does it now.
It sounds evil n stuff.... especially if you grunt and scream over it.

You're a terrible teacher if your students can play in Drop B but they can't tune down to or back up out of it.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
Quote by Me2NiK
You're a terrible teacher if your students can play in Drop B but they can't tune down to or back up out of it.

Your a terrible reader if you cant read a post and understand what its actually saying.
Your ignorant to blame a teacher for a beginning students inability to tune to drop B.

Your also a jerk for posting something that in no way adds to the topic, and only serves to insult.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Oct 14, 2007,