Page 1 of 2
My friend, who is a drummer, wanted me to make him a death metal cd. I made him a cd with Behemoth, Nile, Death, Decapitated, Arsis, and Necrophagist on it. He listening to a lot of Grindcore and Deathcore type bands. Well he tells me that he likes the bands a couple of days after listening to the cd, i think he is just trying to be nice by saying he likes them, why? I dont know. Anyway, a couple of days ago he mentions how he doesn't want to play metal or deathcore drums anymore and wants to branch into other styles. I completely encourage him because i think it is stupid to keep with just one genre and style of music. But in the conversation he mentions how death metal drums are not that hard at all. "Its all just playing fast and doing really easy fills at high speeds," is what he sais. Now im no drummer but i think Inferno and George Kollias are amazing. He then says that none of them were as good as the drummer from All Shall Perish (a deathcore band). He also tells me that if he practiced playing fast he could easily pull of the drumming on any death metal album. Could someone help me out on this one?
"My strength is my determination" - Randy Rhoads (1956-1982)

Quote by LedZeppelin
Life is not an isolated moment, so don't live it as such.

Quote by bendystraw
art rock? isn't all rock art?
He's jealous.
I've had Alzheimer's Disease for as long as I can remember.

Quote by damian_91
Pleasure2kill, you are a genius!
it really depends on the band, some bands have relatively easy drummin, some are uber hard, and this is a GUITAR FORUM, NOT A ****ING DRUM FORUM!
I can maybe see his point about how some of the fills are simple and fast, but I wouldn't say that it takes no talent to play death metal. And that **** about All Shall Perish is dumb.

edit: Oh, and tell him to try the drumming on Origin's "Echoes of Decimation" album. That'll be a nice test.
Lol, Richard Christy would school that kid all the way around the clock.
Quote by Kensai
But they have to be sarcastic or something... or just messing around.

Surely people this dumb must've failed to breathe a long time ago.
all shall perish's drummer is really good

but he's just another example of fast playing like he said

he is right about metal drumming though
Tell your friend to upload some of his covers of Nile/Psycroptic/Necrophagist/Cryptopsy/Behemoth/Death/Braindrill/*insert other bands here*, and maybe we'll believe him. Its hard to believe that all metal drumming is just playing fast with simple fills.
I agree at some point. There are a lot of detah metal drummers out there who sucks ass. Yeah, they play fast but they lack groove.

That being said we got amazing drummers such as Vitek and Derek Roddy. I doubt your friend is anywhere near them when it comes to groove.

Edit: And Gene Hogland damnit. Would mention Thomas Haake too, but meshuggah doesn't really play typical death metal.
Quote by 'rockintheblues 14, 2007 2:38 am'
but i really do hate you and hope you and everyone you love is killed in the worst possible ways. i hope i get to spit in your eyes as you let out your final breath
Metal drumming is stupid, you're friend is 100% right. The point of metal is to just play as fast as you can, it takes no creativity whatsoever, that goes for guitar too. Plus metal drums sound terrible, it sounds like they're hitting cardboard.
Let's blow this job
Welllll there not death metal, but have him try out Meshuggah.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
My drummer says that metal is one of the most difficult to play next to a lot of jazz and jazz fusion type work.
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.
Quote by Mr. President
Tell your friend to upload some of his covers of Nile/Psycroptic/Necrophagist/Cryptopsy/Behemoth/Death/Braindrill/*insert other bands here*, and maybe we'll believe him. Its hard to believe that all metal drumming is just playing fast with simple fills.

but most metal drumming is just playing fast with simple fills...
Quote by GuitaPlaya
Metal drumming is stupid, you're friend is 100% right. The point of metal is to just play as fast as you can, it takes no creativity whatsoever, that goes for guitar too. Plus metal drums sound terrible, it sounds like they're hitting cardboard.

Get the **** out troll, just because your inane and incapable of grasping any thought beyond your retarded concept on music doesn't mean everyone shares your lousy excuse for an opinion.

Don't even know why i'm bothering at all.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by thera_x

Shows how much you know at ALL about drumming.

Gen Hoglan? Hellhammer? Frost? Kolias? Inferno? Derek Roddy? Haake? There are hundreds of talented drummers, many who DON'T PLAY FAST AT ALL.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by thera_x

Way to generalize a huge massive genre Even if that may be, getting to an extreme speed does take a lot of time and practice. But you could say the same about guitar. But the only thing that compares to drumming talent is Jazz, some of those beats are crazy like 32nd rolls on one hand... it was mind blowing.
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.
Quote by thera_x

Yeah, and screaming about death and sorrow. That's metal for ya.

but i really do hate you and hope you and everyone you love is killed in the worst possible ways. i hope i get to spit in your eyes as you let out your final breath
Quote by VampireGoldfish
Get the **** out troll, just because your inane and incapable of grasping any thought beyond your retarded concept on music doesn't mean everyone shares your lousy excuse for an opinion.

Don't even know why i'm bothering at all.

Did you just call me a troll?
Let's blow this job
It's wrong. Simple as that. I would've been different you said death metal, but metal as a whole isn't about playing fast.
Quote by GuitaPlaya
Did you just call me a troll?

No I said you were a model citizen with good upbringings.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Give him a Quo Vadis CD. That should shut him up.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by VampireGoldfish
No I said you were a model citizen with good upbringings.

Wow, I didn't know that someone with an IQ of 75 was capable of using sarcasm, good job.

By the way, what kind of ****ty insult is "troll?"
Let's blow this job
Metal drumming: easy as ****.

Most non-drummers think it's complex because it's fast, but if you take a look at most metal drummers, they have an extremely basic upper-body portion consisting of the snare and the crash.

Jazz drummers are talented. Early rock drummers are talented. Prog drummers are talented. metal drummers are NOT talented.
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212

Most non-drummers think it's complex because it's fast, but if you take a look at most metal drummers, they have an extremely basic upper-body portion consisting of the snare and the crash.

Jazz drummers are talented. Early rock drummers are talented. Prog drummers are talented. metal drummers are NOT talented.

Congratulations, dumbest post today.
Quote by Mongochromat
It's wrong. Simple as that. I would've been different you said death metal, but metal as a whole isn't about playing fast.

i actually did mean death metal :]
Quote by Mongochromat
Congratulations, dumbest post today.

I'm not kidding, I sat down at my friends kit and played perfectly acceptable death metal rhythms. Obviously there are exceptions like Mike Portnoy and Gene Holgan, but as a whole, metal is not a complicated genre for drumming.
Dickless.
Quote by GuitaPlaya
Wow, I didn't know that someone with an IQ of 75 was capable of using sarcasm, good job.

By the way, what kind of ****ty insult is "troll?"

The same kind as insulting a persons IQ over an internet forum concerning guitars.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
You people seriously need to stop saying "metal drumming", since you are obviously all only concerned with Death Metal and its form of speed drumming, which still have talented drummers in the genre.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by thera_x
mike portnoy is sloppy....

good metal drummer = dayton cantley

But he can change time signatures quickly, something that modern drummers seem to have forgotten how to do.

Also, wasn't he the drummer for Through the Eyes of the Dead? He's not that amazing, just another fast drummer.

On guitar, the most impressive thing you can show is your speed, in drumming, the most impressive thing you can show is rhythm and timing, on bass, the most impressive aspect is probably technique, for piano it's impressive if you can show is hand independence, etc. Instruments have different specific areas of skill.
Dickless.
Last edited by MetalMilitia212 at Oct 13, 2007,
Quote by MetalMilitia212

I'm not kidding, I sat down at my friends kit and played perfectly acceptable death metal rhythms. Obviously there are exceptions like Mike Portnoy and Gene Holgan, but as a whole, metal is not a complicated genre for drumming.

Hmm..Well, like I said, earlier in this thread I partly agree. But just because you don't play technical doesn't mean you aren't talented. As long as you got groove in your drumming I think drummers are talented.
Quote by MetalMilitia212

yeah ive played drums for 8 years, not my main instrument but i know your full of complete and total ****
are you ****ing kidding me? whoever said portnoy is sloppy should go kill themselves.
Tool kicks ass
Quote by MetalMilitia212
Also, wasn't he the drummer for Through the Eyes of the Dead? He's not that amazing, just another fast drummer.

its not about how technical you are, its about how enjoyable your drumming is to listen to

portnoy is sloppy, even if he does 'crazy' things

cantleys drumming is good because its so clean and fun

listen to the song beneath dying skies, you cant tell me you dont just want to dance when you hear that

im not a drummer, to me, good is what i enjoy
Quote by thera_x
i actually did mean death metal :]

Mongochromat forgives your unfortunate outburst. 8)
Page 1 of 2