Okay, when someone says they wrote a song, does that just mean lyrics and melody or guitar riff, drums, ect? Like if I just make up the melody and lyrics, can I say I wrote the song or do I say the whole band wrote this song since I didn't play drums or make the guitar riff? When someone like Billy Joel says they wrote a song, did they make up the drums part too?

Hope I didn't confuse.
So if I wrote a song, I wrote the bass line, guitar line and the drum line?

(the person who replyed just deleted their post)
Lennon/McCartney?

I think it just matters how you and the rest of the band make an arrangement. If whoever came up with the idea gets the credit or you just credit the entire band

when songs are copyrighted its usually in "lead sheet" format, just lyrics, chords and main melody so its open to be ambiguous in different arrangements and such
Quote by seljer
Lennon/McCartney?
when songs are copyrighted its usually in "lead sheet" format, just lyrics, chords and main melody so its open to be ambiguous in different arrangements and such

I agree. Whoever had a hand in the lyrics (in my opinion a verse or more), the chords and the melody. However, if the riff is extremely important to the song, like in Sunshine Of Your Love by Cream, for example, then whoever created the riff should also get credit.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton