I'm looking for a somewhat cheap tube amp that has alot of gain.
i play mostly metal but occasionally clean stuff. right now i've got a crate fw120h head and a crate 4x10 cab(not sure the exact model)
i plan on buying a new cab but am looking to buy a tube head first.
this will be my first tube amp so any help would be appreciated.
thanks.
how much do you have? are you willing to go used?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
what kind of music are you playing? what kind of sound do you want?
i recommend a marshall or mesa-boogie. if you're willing to spend A LOT of money, i would get a diezel herbert.
EDIT: disregard the first part of the question, i didnt really pay attention to the thread.
my gear: ibanez destroyer( with gibson 500t pickup), epiphone les paul plus,ampeg electric, marshall jcm2000 triple super lead half stack
Carvin V3

/thread.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
i dont want too spend too much because i plan on either buying a mesa boogie dual rectifier or a peavey 6505+ in the future
but that is the far far future
i need something to use for now until I get one of the mentioned amps much later
i will buy a used amp
i play Most types of metal
from Atreyu to as blood runs black to Job For a cowboy
Quote by Doodleface
Carvin V3

/thread.

Aye. If you got the grand, you're there.

If not...mabye an Orange Tiny Terror with a OD pedal?
PEAVEY VALVE KING 112

I own it, can't go wrong
B - MAN

My Main Rig:
☺1998 Gibson Les Paul Studio DC
☺Reverend Rocco(USA)
☺Martin DM
☺Peavey ValveKing 112
☺Dunlop Tortex(1.35Mm) Picks
☺Everly Rockers - .10guage.
☺Martin - .11guage.
☺Too many effects to list.
XXX, 5150 or 5150+, XXL for less, if you can find a used Mesa rectifier are Mark IV in your price range that would be awesome

Go to GC and check them out first

edit: Ahhh yeah that Carvin is great especially for the money its really versatile and has a great clean
If you want a 6505 in the future...why not buy a used one or a used 5150 now...? Doesn't make any sense to me to buy a head for that much when you could buy the one you want later down the line used.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by apocalypse253
i dont want too spend too much because i plan on either buying a mesa boogie dual rectifier or a peavey 6505+ in the future
but that is the far far future
i need something to use for now until I get one of the mentioned amps much later
i will buy a used amp
i play Most types of metal
from Atreyu to as blood runs black to Job For a cowboy

Ugh dude come on...

Don't waste a bunch of money slowly getting better and better stuff until you reach what you want way later and several grand later too. Just save up the money and get directly what you want, or go used. You can find a used dual rec for $1000 or less if you look hard enough.
Quote by Say Ocean
Ugh dude come on...

Don't waste a bunch of money slowly getting better and better stuff until you reach what you want way later and several grand later too. Just save up the money and get directly what you want, or go used. You can find a used dual rec for $1000 or less if you look hard enough.

Yeah and you can EASILY find a 5150/5150 II/6505/6505+ for cheaper than $1000.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by ECistheBest
^more like under 600.

Haha, yeah, mine cost me $500
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
What you guys are saying makes sense
if i find a good deal on a mesa or 6505+ used then it makes more sense to just go for it
i think i'm going to get the dual rec but i'm not sure
whichever one i find a better deal on
thanks for your help
Quote by apocalypse253
What you guys are saying makes sense
if i find a good deal on a mesa or 6505+ used then it makes more sense to just go for it
i think i'm going to get the dual rec but i'm not sure
whichever one i find a better deal on
thanks for your help

Just so you know, the Peavey 5150 is the EXACT same thing as the 6505 and the 5150 II is the EXACT same thing as the 6505+, you should easily be able to find one for $500-700. Dual Rectos are harder to find for that price for some reason though. They seemed to be horribly overpriced when used for some reason and I don't understand it because you can buy the Mark IV, which is heaps better, for less than a used Dual Recto most of the time.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Haha, yeah, mine cost me $500

Yeah I got a two channel triple rec for $750

edit:

Quote by MatrixClaw
Just so you know, the Peavey 5150 is the EXACT same thing as the 6505 and the 5150 II is the EXACT same thing as the 6505+, you should easily be able to find one for $500-700. Dual Rectos are harder to find for that price for some reason though. They seemed to be horribly overpriced when used for some reason and I don't understand it because you can buy the Mark IV, which is heaps better, for less than a used Dual Recto most of the time.

Probably because they are better amps

Well, the two channel's are for sure. The new ones are okay, but I would still take them over a 5150. I think a 5150 is great for the price, but two channel rectos and such are a lot better IMO.
Last edited by Say Ocean at Oct 14, 2007,
^now that's a freaking awesome purchase.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^now that's a freaking awesome purchase.

Yeah the guy hadn't been in a band in a while and had moved into an apartment so there you go. 14 years old, never gigged on I believe he sold his much newer Triamp for around $1300 too.
Quote by Say Ocean

Probably because they are better amps
Well, the two channel's are for sure. The new ones are okay, but I would still take them over a 5150. I think a 5150 is great for the price, but two channel rectos and such are a lot better IMO.

Meh to rectos- I don't care for flabby low-ends I'll keep my 6505+'s tightness thankyou v. much

TS you should be able to find a used 5150 combo for the 500-600 range.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
Meh to rectos- I don't care for flabby low-ends I'll keep my 6505+'s tightness thankyou v. much

TS you should be able to find a used 5150 combo for the 500-600 range.

My two channel triple rec doesnt have a flabby low end at all. Does have 3 balls though. And I'll keep my non dry tone
Two channels are awesome but I hate the newer 3 channels. I'd much rather have a 5150 over the new duals and I don't really even like 5150s anymore.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
well i would get a mark IV and get a 212 combo later. look at UnsignedRecords' his is amazing
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!