Two questions:

-Where is the most proper and advantageous spot to place your thumb on the neck?
-Generally people place their thumb even lower when they need more reach, but is it ever bad or improper technique to put your thumb so low that it's almost not even on the neck anymore? At the very bottom edge?

Thanks.
If you go too low you might not have any leverage to hold down the strings with your fingers, but I can't imagine needing to put your thumb that far down.
Nothings really improper, do whatever works for you, as long as its comfortable...I mean, the guitar police arent gonna come arrest you because you do something differently....if it works, go for it.
if your fingers are strong enough you can play without using your thumb at all
so placement of it isn't really gonna affect your playing
Leader of The Mighty Powermetal Brethren. PM me to join.

ALL HAIL DYSTOPIA!!!

Angry Mob
In general, it is best to have your thumb at the middle of the neck for reaches and most other playing and the thumb wrapped around the neck for chording and bends.
Ibanez RG1527
ENGL Blackmore Sig.
Marshall 1960A Cab
Orange 4x12 Cab

Member of UG's Official Gain \/\/hores - Invite Only
Exactly what white_devil said. The reason behind it is, with your thumb in the center of the back of the neck and your fingers slightly arched, you have the most stability in your fingers and most importantly the most strength in your fingers. You'll have to adjust your thumb for certain chords but you want to keep that thumb in the middle as much as possible.
Funnily enough, I keep my thumb wrapped around for all lead playing and my thumb on the back of the neck for most rhythm.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
Quote by MadassAlex
Funnily enough, I keep my thumb wrapped around for all lead playing and my thumb on the back of the neck for most rhythm.

me too. it just ends up as "the way you're most comfortable with".

for me, playing with my thumb behind my neck is a big wrist killer.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by fixationdarknes
Two questions:

-Where is the most proper and advantageous spot to place your thumb on the neck?
-Generally people place their thumb even lower when they need more reach, but is it ever bad or improper technique to put your thumb so low that it's almost not even on the neck anymore? At the very bottom edge?

Thanks.

Just what ever feels comfortable for you.
i've noticed on dvds that some guitarists tend to keep their thumb wrapped around the top of the guitar, at times muting the low E and even A strings. this happens when playing rhythm and lead, so i can assume that's how they feel comfortable.

myself, i have fairly stubby hands and find myself only placing my thumb above the neck when bending... and even then im not consistent. most of the time my thumb goes right on the middle or just below middle of the neck. pretty much where the truss rod would be.
I have kinda small hands so i keep my thunb in the middle to the top of the neck but never wrap my thumb around the next because 1 it hurts and 2 my thumb isn't that big.

But is bending with your thumb in the middle of the neck without anther finger supporting the finger that is bending bad technique? I play on really light strings (8's) and i've always just bent that way but in a book i just got, it says to use one finger to support the finger that is bending but that is just to slow for me.
^bending like that is extremely difficult for me. i use my thumb wrapped on my neck as sort of a leverage to support my thumb. it works well with bending high e, b, and g strings a lot.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
If you're getting the bends you want and you're not straining your hand, it is fine.

I'm not saying you do this, but a lot of people that I've worked with who do that, tend to curl up their other fingers on their fretting hand, my assumption is to create leverage somehow. Try to keep them extended and "with" the finger you're using to bend. It's unnecessary motion that puts your fingers out of the "ideal" playing position.