Ok so I bought a ValveKing last time I made a thread like this and while I enjoy the amps cleans the distortion sucks. When it's turned up loud enough for tube breakup or whatever it loses the sound I had on lower levels and sounds "flubby" (only way I can explain ) and when using my pedal it's only good on lower volumes. I found out the hard way it's not what I need distortion-wise.

I may still be able to return this to the same place I bought it for credits towards a new amp so I need a recommendations. Either a tube combo with enough headroom for cleans at high volume or a good solid state (lol). Pretty much a high-gain but versatile amp I won't need pedals to make sound good. Also I won't be practicing with a band on a regular basis but I would like for it to be able to at least keep up with drums so nothing too small.

I play a lot of high gain stuff (my own songs and others) with a lot of de-tuning and some 7 string. I'll be playing a lot of cleans too, as well as some SRV but not really. The kind of sound I want is something like Deftones and Tool for distortion and for leads something Steve Vai-like (tone wise). What should I look into? My budget should be around $600-700 CAD depending but if need be I can go higher.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
If you haven't had it very long the speaker needs broken in, but I suspect the amp may not be the best for the 7 string and I don't think it is the first choice for metal. The distortion has a lot of variation and the amp needs extensive tweaking to get it right. If you don't exchange it a speaker upgrade and an EQ pedal in the effects loop works wonders. I prefer the Vk, but the only option anywhere near it in price would be the B52 60 watt 112 combo which many metal players seem to like. I play blues/classic rock so wait for more metal players to post.
Stop using that piece of crap pedal for a start, I'm not surprised it sounds wank....you need an EQ pedal and an overdrive pedal and you'll be set. Even the Digitech Bad Monkey and a Danelectro Fish and Chips will do a decent job, all for about $60
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^I wasn't going to say that but now that you mention it........................
Quote by uldhppi
^I wasn't going to say that but now that you mention it........................

Yeah, but you're a gentleman....I'm just a twat

An EQ should be what's needed to tweak the voicing and clean up any wooly frequencies, whilst the OD will add a little gain and tighten up the sound a little, particularly for lead parts.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Stop using that piece of crap pedal for a start, I'm not surprised it sounds wank....you need an EQ pedal and an overdrive pedal and you'll be set. Even the Digitech Bad Monkey and a Danelectro Fish and Chips will do a decent job, all for about $60

That made me laugh. I've been looking into some other pedals but right now it's all I got. I also had the Fish n' Chips for about 2 days (got it the day i got the amp) but i didn't like it. I must not have spent enough time with it but it was a little noisy and it made the amp sound shrill. I was probably just doing it wrong though.

Quote by uldhppi
If you haven't had it very long the speaker needs broken in, but I suspect the amp may not be the best for the 7 string and I don't think it is the first choice for metal.

That's what I was thinking. Also as far as the speaker thing goes I don't think I broke it in fully so maybe I'll put in some more time in it before I actually go out and get the new amp. Just to see if it really is just the speaker.
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Last edited by CM_X5 at Oct 13, 2007,
So can anyone point me in the right direction amp wise? I can worry about pedals another day.
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
I forgot to mention a B-52 amp is out of the question. I asked the guy at the store if they stock B-52 amps and he just looked at me and said he never heard of them. As much as I'd like to get one I don't think they'll have any. They do specialize in peavey amps though. They have some Marshalls and Fenders too as well as the possibility of ordering one.
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP