Hello there,

I've narrowed my choices down:

I'm buying either the Ibanez or the Fender in the thread title.

I'd like to know your opinion.

My music tastes are diverse, ranging from classic rock to metal.

Feel free to recommend other guitars in this price range. It'll be my first guitar. Budget is ~€500.

Hasta,

MiN3R
Last edited by MiN3R at Oct 13, 2007,
The Fender, a good tremolo system on your first guitar will give you hell, couple that with a ****ty trem like the one on the Ibanez? I'd want to give up playing if I had that for a first guitar.
Dickless.
Quote by MiN3R
So, you'd buy the fender?

I'd still buy it, that's a fantastic guitar for the money. What amp are you looking at? Remember, your amp decides what you sound like, not your guitar.
Dickless.
I am not sure on the amp. But I expect my budget for it to be about 250€. Care to suggest?
I'd get the Fender Mex. RG series' Ibanez aren't bad, but personally, to buy an ibanez, you need a REALLY high-end one, imo. the strats have that nice feel to them, they're excellent starters.

or, you could look into "Cort" guitars, they're decent as well
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Quote by MiN3R
I am not sure on the amp. But I expect my budget for it to be about 250€. Care to suggest?

I'm gonna say that's around $400?

Look into Vox Valvetronix amps or Roland Cubes. The Roland is more metal (Still versatile, but it's best channels are the most highly distorted) but both are versatile. Remember to read the stickies in general, it'll give you a sense of how important amps are, and what to look for in a guitar.
Dickless.
the general rule of thumb is that you should spend more on your amp than guitar
though that may not always be true, it is in your case... if you still haven't bought anything yet
i would rethink your budgeting, as stuff can get EXPENSIVE, 'specially in Europe, try around 600 euro's for the amp, and save up some more for a decent guitar, probably not more than 50-60 euros more
^^ I've read them, and learned a bit. I'm buying a 500 € guitar + a 250€ amp. I am following the ratio they recommended.

^ I'm never gonna have that much money! Well, I'll buy a good amp, but I'd like the good guitar first .
I'd go with the Strat man. I've seen decent reviews for it, and plus..I'm biased towards Fender.
Get off my lawn.
Between the two, I'd get the Fender. A great Ibanez will cost a bit more than €500, (there is a Prestige model costing a bit more) As always, it's best to try the guitars to see what you like more.
Last edited by SpooneyMallard at Oct 13, 2007,
Quote by MiN3R
^^ I've read them, and learned a bit. I'm buying a 500 € guitar + a 250€ amp. I am following the ratio they recommended.

^ I'm never gonna have that much money! Well, I'll buy a good amp, but I'd like the good guitar first .

you are right, i live in the us , so i get a bit funky with the euro's every now and then..
250 E is around 500 us dollars right?
then yea, you're in the range for a valveking or a fender tube...
and 500 E for a guitar is around 1000 us dollars right?
i guess you're set
yea, i digress, you are pretty set
Quote by glamdring22
you are right, i live in the us , so i get a bit funky with the euro's every now and then..
250 E is around 500 us dollars right?
then yea, you're in the range for a valveking or a fender tube...
and 500 E for a guitar is around 1000 us dollars right?
i guess you're set
yea, i digress, you are pretty set

$700 = 500 euros approx.
Dickless.
Unless u can change out the Floyd Rose in the Ibanez, id go with the Fender. And itll be better for classic rock than the Ibanez will be, and the single coils in the Strat will be better for cleans, and the Ibanez will be better for higher gain.

Honestly tho, id go for something with a Tune-o-matic/Stoptail setup as a first guitar. Much easier to string, and keeps in tune better and easier. Hardtail/Vintage trems are hard to string for the first few times u try to. And for ppl with minimal experiace with guitars period, Floyd Rose or Edge trems are super-annoying period. And dont keep in tune at all if they r crappy, kinda like on the Ibanez.
I'll just get someone to change the strings for me, he he...
Quote by qotsa1998
Unless u can change out the Floyd Rose in the Ibanez, id go with the Fender. And itll be better for classic rock than the Ibanez will be, and the single coils in the Strat will be better for cleans, and the Ibanez will be better for higher gain.

Honestly tho, id go for something with a Tune-o-matic/Stoptail setup as a first guitar. Much easier to string, and keeps in tune better and easier. Hardtail/Vintage trems are hard to string for the first few times u try to. And for ppl with minimal experiace with guitars period, Floyd Rose or Edge trems are super-annoying period. And dont keep in tune at all if they r crappy, kinda like on the Ibanez.

Nah, it's easy enough. It takes a bit longer, but the vibrato is certainly worth it.
Dickless.
id get the strat over the RG370 but it may be worth checking out various hardtails such as the Ibanez RG321 or Jackson hardtail dinky's (MG series and up) or washburn x50 pros which would all be great for metal especially and rock as well
i own a late 90s rg (made in japan non prestige) they dont make em no more tho

i think low end ibanez's are still pretty good~but yea no where near the prestiges tho

try em out!
Get the Strat.
Quote by SloppyJoseph
It doesn't fit my playing style at all so I figured it would be good for me
Well, you all seem to tend towards the strat... Any more opinions?

Ippon, are you Portuguese or Brazilian?
Quote by MiN3R
Well, you all seem to tend towards the strat... Any more opinions?

Ippon, are you Portuguese or Brazilian?

Brasilian GF, does that count? Anyway, there's whole cult of Epiphone Valve Junior in the GG&A forum and at $99 to $149, depending on the holiday sale, you can't go wrong with this little 5 watt tube amp. It can get loud.

As far as guitars, any of those 2 should serve you well ... I'm assuming you've tried both. As mentioned above, there are a bunch of decent alternatives within your budget. Go try them all.

I didn't try them... But I will soon.
That amp only has a volume knob?
[portuguese] E que eu sou portugues![/portuguese]
Bumped to avoid the creation of a new topic. Need moar opinions plox.

By the way, replace the Ibanez with an Epiphone LP standard.