Hi, I'm getting a new guitar, which hopefully will be better than my old Squier Showmaster. So, I'm a newbie and I have noooo idea about what's good and what's not, so if you line up a lot of guitars in front of me, and ask me what's good and what's not, I'd probably go "Err, I don't know... That one looks cool though.". Okay, so I've been looking around in a couple of german web shops (I live in Norway myself): http://www.musicstore.de and http://www.thomann.de

Now, I've looked at almost all the guitars under 500 dollar (or 400 euro), which is my budget -- it's not much, I know, but hopefully it'll get me something better than a Squier -- but still I haven't really gotten any further in my search. I heard Ibanez guitars are good, but most of them had a floyd rose tremolo system, which I've heard is a real pain to set up, tune and change strings on, and since I'm a newbie I can't really be bothered with that yet, and the other guitars were really cheap ones, so they're probably not so good.

Aaaarh, to the point: would anyone pleeeaaase be so kind and just go through http://www.musicstore.de and/or http://www.thomann.de and find a good/decent guitar for playing metal/rock under 400 euro, I would be very very very very grateful!
http://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/MusicStore-MusicStoreShop-Site/en_EN/-/EUR/ViewProductDetail-Start;pgid=TOZgSChVSfz2cibhfWSg00000000F1AwAxGj?CatalogVideo=&ProductUUID=w5_VqHzlUgQAAAESIvZ_Z_G7&CatalogCategoryID=pK7VqHzmhlcAAAERyZsvKPl9&JumpTo=OfferList

the sexiest ibanez that is under £400, doesn't have a locking tremolo (locking tremolos are the ones that you were talking about [they are extremely easy once you get used to them])
and is gonna sound good

get it nao.
then swap out the pups to make it even better
Thank you very much! I shall put that into my tiny list of consideration, and if no one else has any opinion on this, or links me a guitar from that site they think would be better for me, I'll buy the Ibanez SA260FM!
Step up from your squier and buy a fender showmaster. My showmaster outplays $1,500 guitars. You can get them for a great price on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Showmaster-Stratocaster-Guitar-Seymour-Duncan-HH_W0QQitemZ110180352923QQihZ001QQcategoryZ38082QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you want to hear my showmaster rip check this out: (it picks up, don't worry)

http://media.putfile.com/Gu1tarb0b-playing-Eruption
Fender Showmaster
76 Epiphone Riviera
SX LTD2
Ibanez Rg 7421 w/ Breed's
Line 6 Flextone 3
Presonus Firebox
Studio Projects B1 Condensor
M-Audio Studiopro 3 Desktop Monitors
Macbook 2.1 Ghz w/ 4gb Ram
Logic Express
Garage Band
^^ The Ibanez SA was actually the first one that sprung to mind for me as well...go for it! Great quality for the price,and rock solid! The pickups might be a little bit underpowered for full-on metal but it's a very versatile guitar.

(If you get a chance, make sure you play one in a shop first so you can be sure you like how it plays - though i suspect it'll keep you happy for some time...)
I'm not sure a tremmed guitar is the best way to go for a beginning setup. I find tremmed guitars to be more of a, "I need my tremmed guitar for this...". What I'm saying is that if you're only going to have one guitar and you are fairly green to trems than get a hard tailed guitar. You say you like metal/rock so I'd say you need a guitar with a fast neck. The Ibanez RG321MH is a flat topped mahogany guitar with the thin and wide (but not too thin) Wizard II neck - great for metal - 24 frets (kinda' important for metal but not a necessity) with a 25.5" scale. All you'd need to do is slap a new set of pickups in there and BAM!, you've got yourself a nice metal setup. And you can buy that guitar and at least a new bridge pickup for the price of that SA that was mentioned.
Quote by Rhythm Hippy
get a fender telecaster bro, their cheap, awesome, and classic

i love strats but they are not very good metal guitars
I believe in Rock and Roll. Can I get an Amen?

Quote by rizo299
A drunk guy on the the bus asked me if i remembered the 60's. I told him i was 17 then he told me that everyone remembers the 60's.

I thought about it, and frankly, I couldn't fault his logic.
Quote by Johnny Two Tone
I'm not sure a tremmed guitar is the best way to go for a beginning setup. I find tremmed guitars to be more of a, "I need my tremmed guitar for this...". What I'm saying is that if you're only going to have one guitar and you are fairly green to trems than get a hard tailed guitar. You say you like metal/rock so I'd say you need a guitar with a fast neck. The Ibanez RG321MH is a flat topped mahogany guitar with the thin and wide (but not too thin) Wizard II neck - great for metal - 24 frets (kinda' important for metal but not a necessity) with a 25.5" scale. All you'd need to do is slap a new set of pickups in there and BAM!, you've got yourself a nice metal setup. And you can buy that guitar and at least a new bridge pickup for the price of that SA that was mentioned.

Hmm, interesting. Now what pickups would I need, and how much would the installation of a new pickup cost?
Quote by Flaringo
Hmm, interesting. Now what pickups would I need, and how much would the installation of a new pickup cost?

Whatever pickups you like. Just go to the sites of some well known manufacturers (DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan, EMG, Bareknuckles, etc.) and listen to the samples.

As for installation, some guitar stores ask money, whilst others do it for free. Just ask around.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
fender showmaster isnt a bad idea!
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
Hmm, I might go for the RG321MH, then. Fenders are too expensive in Europe or at least Norway, and I couldn't find any Washburns at the german web shops.

So it's basically the SA260FM up against the RG321MH. Hmmmmm.
Quote by Flaringo

Well, depending on what type of music you are looking to emulate you'll probably want something from Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio (yes, there are other brands but for price/availability you can't go wrong with something from their selection).

My usual recommendation is a set of DiMarzio Breed PUs but, like I said, I need to know the type of music you are mostly playing eg. modern metal, classic rock, etc.

More modern metal (metalcore, nu-metal, etc) I know the Seymour Duncan Distortion pickup is awesome. It has a nice modern tone and does pinch harmonics so easily it's crazy. For classic tones the DiMarzio Paf Pro has been a staple of rock players for a long time. If you want the tone of an active pickups (like the EMG active PUs) but want to easily slap it in that guitar easily you could try the SD D-Activator PU.

The nice thing about the RG321MH is that it's the cheaper version of the awesome RGT42FX. So, if you like the guitar and play it for a long time you can later step up to an RGT and there'll be basically no change in feel.

As for installing PUs - it's so easy that if you've ever used a soldering iron before you could do it yourself. Otherwise it would prolly just cost you like $30 to have installed... or maybe nothing like someone else said. You could have it installed at the same time as getting the guitar professionally set up, too.

EDIT: Oh, and don't forget about the UK eBay. You can get the RG321MH for next to nothing on there and same with pickups.
Last edited by Johnny Two Tone at Oct 14, 2007,
I'm really not sure which one to go for here. How would the RG321 be to play softer things on? Like AC/DC, Judas Priest and stuff like that? And how would the SA be to play things like megadeth, dethklok, arch enemy and so forth on?

Also, are both these guitars generally better than my Squier Showmaster?
Remember you'll risk paying up some amount in taxes if you get it shipped... Norwegian customs are always unreliable. I once ended up paying 3 times the value for a 150SEK CD from Sweden, while somehow avoiding customs for a guitar sent from England. I'd look into the Norwegian stores just to be safe, or buy a guitar if you're planning to leave the country/eventually get someone else who's leaving the country to buy it. Also, look into the used guitar market, there's always some good stuff to be found, and if you're a beginner, you probably won't be disappointed.

I'm really not sure which one to go for here. How would the RG321 be to play softer things on? Like AC/DC, Judas Priest and stuff like that? And how would the SA be to play things like megadeth, dethklok, arch enemy and so forth on?

As long as it doesn't have EMG pickups (they look square compared to normal, passive pickups), most Ibanez guitars can handle any kind of genre. You might want to look into the pickups, though, as some of the stock ones are quite bad and you'll be able to get a much better sound out of it pretty much no matter what pickups you choose to upgrade to.
I'm a communist. Really.
Last edited by Raziel2p at Oct 15, 2007,
Quote by Flaringo

Well, the way to look at it is: RG321MH = thin fast neck with 24 frets and humbuckers, hard tail; SA260FM = average size neck with 22 frets and both humbucker and single coils, tremolo.

Basically sound wise the guitar will sound however you set it up (pickups, amp, effects, etc). Buy the guitar you think feels more inline with what you play. If you are concerned with needing to go up and down the neck and hit really high notes you need a neck like the RG321s. If you want to be able to do tremolo tricks, don't especially need a super fast neck and want the sound option of single coil pickups get the SA. In the end both guitars are able to cover each others designed demographic.

I personally would get the RG321MH, 'cause I hate tremolos and LOVE thin necks with 24 frets. So, that's just me. You should be happy either way, though.

EDIT: Don't forget to check the Harmony Central database of user reviews for either guitar if you really need other people telling you the pros/cons.

EDIT II: I also don't personally recommend a non-locking trem on cheaper guitar. A lot of trems have tunning issues to begin with let along cheaper ones with out a locking nut.

EDIT III: Oh, and for your question about if the guitars are better than your showmaster... well, I think you'd notice quite a difference with the neck of an RG321MH over the showmaster. Looking at the showmaster it actually has a lot in common with the SA. In other words GET THE RG321MH! (Then slap new pickups in it)
Last edited by Johnny Two Tone at Oct 16, 2007,
Thank you very very very much for the help, everyone -- and especially Johnny Two Tone for answering all of my dumb and silly questions with long, informative replies!

I will be getting the Ibanez RG321MH some time soon! Thanks again everyone!
Last edited by Flaringo at Oct 16, 2007,
i would play a fender showmaster before you get a 321. they're very very different. and you cant really compare the squier.

the 321 isnt a bad guitar though, for the money.
every key
every secret

Quote by staticoverdub
i would play a fender showmaster before you get a 321. they're very very different. and you cant really compare the squier.

the 321 isnt a bad guitar though, for the money.

It's not a bad guitar in general.

Then main problem with cheaper RG guitars are the low quality trems and this is a hardtail.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
It's not a bad guitar in general.

Then main problem with cheaper RG guitars are the low quality trems and this is a hardtail.

true. though when i had mine, the hardware tarnished rather quickly. it peeled and exposed a rust colored (which i honestly liked better than the dark chrome-ish color) metal

in regards to the neck though, it's very thin which some people may not like. all i'm suggesting is that he go try one out. generally, they can be purchased for less than half the price of a showmaster. they're probably the most guitar you can get for your money, and are built like tanks. the oiled mahogany looks killer and will only get better with age.

but the showmaster has long been on my list of guitars to get. everything about it is quality. i cannot more strongly suggest that you play these guitars before you make your decision.
every key
every secret

The problem is I can't just go down to the local guitar shop and try out the guitars mentioned in this thread, because they don't have them.

EDIT: And about the Fender Showmaster guitar, I doubt I'll find one I can afford here in Europe, and if I were to find a used one on ebay, I still can't afford it. I have to pay 25% of the price in addition to the price, then about 160$ for shipping.
Last edited by Flaringo at Oct 17, 2007,
Say I could go a liiittle bit over the price, and find a used guitar -- like I just did now, what would be the best guitar for me?

Epiphone ´67 Flying V Black & White ltd.
Epiphone Goth Explorer
and POSSIBLY
Fender Classic 60's Stratocaster
Fender Stratocaster Japan, '94 mod, Texas Special pickups

Something tells me that was a stupid question, but still ...
if you're considering these site unseen, i'd go with the jap strat.
every key
every secret

I still vote for the RG321. I have a RG7321 (a 7 string, basswood version of that guitar) and love the neck and playability on it. A new set of pups, and you're set for about 75% of anything you could ever want to play. Plus, I love the RG shape. Solid, great fret access, and comfey.

Edit: Oops, you chose it already! Good job man, and enjoy!
Quote by the.spine.surfs
I still vote for the RG321. I have a RG7321 (a 7 string, basswood version of that guitar) and love the neck and playability on it. A new set of pups, and you're set for about 75% of anything you could ever want to play. Plus, I love the RG shape. Solid, great fret access, and comfey.

Edit: Oops, you chose it already! Good job man, and enjoy!

Well, I did until I saw these guitars I just mentioned. I saw the explorer a while ago and it was love on first sight, a friend of mine also says it's good to play. I really like the V as well, looks great, but I don't know how it is to play. Both of these guitars are worth about ~1000$ new, the explorer has only been used for a couple of hours, and the V has been used for half a year.

So now it's
Epiphone '67 Flying V Black & White ltd.
Epiphone Goth Explorer
Ibanez RG321MH
Quote by Flaringo
Well, I did until I saw these guitars I just mentioned. I saw the explorer a while ago and it was love on first sight, a friend of mine also says it's good to play. I really like the V as well, looks great, but I don't know how it is to play. Both of these guitars are worth about ~1000$ new, the explorer has only been used for a couple of hours, and the V has been used for half a year.

So now it's
Epiphone '67 Flying V Black & White ltd.
Epiphone Goth Explorer
Ibanez RG321MH

I wouldn't get a V guitar as a main guitar since they are a little funky to play sitting down - totally doable but you're forced to play in classical position.

That Gothic looks cool but you can bet that that neck is going to be on the thick side and it's 22 frets on a 24.75 scale. With the RG you can a whole new feel over your Squire.

And I don't know where you got $1000 for those Epiphones. At musiciansfriend.com they are $400.
The only advantage of the Epi Explorer and V are that people who don't play guitar will think you're awesome. If you want a guitar to play, and I mean P-L-A-Y, go with the RG. If you're concerned more about vibe and stage presance (which is probably not a factor if you're a newish player), then the V and Explorer have advantages. Besides...the Epi's pickups are rather muddy, and you'll want to replace them someday...and if you have to do a pup swap on a $400 instrument...the Epi's will be perhaps out of your price range. Stick with an upgraded, hardtail RG. That's a players guitar.
Johnny Two Tone: Well, as mentioned earlier in the thread, I live in Norway, and guitars are really overpriced here, at least compared to the USA.

The RG321MH is exactly 560 (which is in the price range i was thinking of [and no, I did not change it, I miscalculated :p ]), meaning I can't afford even one pickup when I've bought the guitar. So which guitar is the best guitar in general, coming right from the store?

(Also, the Epi V is worth $1228,2 [6600 NOK] here in Norway, the explorer is worth around $930 [5000 NOK])
^Hmm, well it's kinda' hard to put things in the same perspective with these price differences where we live but I'd still say if it's just of those three guitars you should stick with the RG. It's the most different from the guitar you have (which you said you wanted to step up from), it's got the best neck and bridge out of all three, and you can always change the pickups at any time down the road (the pickups in the other guitars aren't even listed by name in any writeup... that should tell you something).

EDIT: I'd just like to add that $1200 for an Epiphone is absolutely insane. Over here you can get the best guitar currently being made (used, but still...), the Parker Fly Mojo, for only a couple hundred more than that, if you look hard enough.
Last edited by Johnny Two Tone at Oct 21, 2007,
Alright, I'll go for the RG. Thanks alot everyone, I appreciate the help!

Johnny Two Tone: Yeah, I know. It's crazy!
Err, I feel stupid for doing this, but I've been looking around some more again, and I found this:
http://www.music123.com/Ibanez-RG4EXQM1-Quilted-Maple-Top-Electric-Guitar-519785-i1168031.Music123
http://www.music123.com/Jackson-WRXT-X-Warrior-Electric-Guitar-512240-i1147629.Music123

It says the RG4EXQM1 is a prestige model, so I would be better of with one of those wouldn't I? I've also heard that the Jackson WRXT X Warrior is supposed to be good, but I don't know.

I'm really sorry for dragging this up again, must be starting to get annoying now. :-\
Quote by Flaringo
Err, I feel stupid for doing this, but I've been looking around some more again, and I found this:
http://www.music123.com/Ibanez-RG4EXQM1-Quilted-Maple-Top-Electric-Guitar-519785-i1168031.Music123
http://www.music123.com/Jackson-WRXT-X-Warrior-Electric-Guitar-512240-i1147629.Music123

It says the RG4EXQM1 is a prestige model, so I would be better of with one of those wouldn't I? I've also heard that the Jackson WRXT X Warrior is supposed to be good, but I don't know.

I'm really sorry for dragging this up again, must be starting to get annoying now. :-\

That Ibanez is not a Prestige model.
Quote by Flaringo

Yeah, that Ibanez is not a Prestige model. I don't know why the site says it is. Unless it's some sorta' wacky model that isn't listed on the Ibanez site and I've ever known of.

As for that Jackson: Some of the higher end Warriors are pretty cool but I'm not too sure that WRXT is all that great. Plus it's a lot more than the RG321.

Also, like I've mentioned before I don't think it would be a good idea to have a trem. on a guitar for a beginner. You wouldn't want to have to deal with the head aches that come with trems.