I've been looking at Warwicks lately, and I've noticed that quite a few models have a slanted/angled pickup, like the Thumb and Taranis models.

I'm just wondering: why? I'm just wondering if the way the pickup is set up does anything for the sound or not, or if it's just for looks.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
Because a pickup nearer the neck sounds 'bassier', and one nearer the bridge sounds 'treblier', right? Well, it's just a little tweak one way or the other that the designer or luthier felt necessary to get the tone they wanted for that pickup. Think of a strat, the bridge pickup is tilted towards the neck at the bottom end, and toward the bridge at the
top end; just to tweak the tone for a better balance.
There is also a technical issue with harmonic nodes moving around due to string diameter, but that's waaaaaaay too anorak-y!
well, the closer the pickup is the the bridge, the more trebly it will sound. slanted pickups make the lower pickups will sound more bassy, while the higher strings sound more trebly.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by creepingjesus73
Because a pickup nearer the neck sounds 'bassier', and one nearer the bridge sounds 'treblier', right? Well, it's just a little tweak one way or the other that the designer or luthier felt necessary to get the tone they wanted for that pickup. Think of a strat, the bridge pickup is tilted towards the neck at the bottom end, and toward the bridge at the
top end; just to tweak the tone for a better balance.
There is also a technical issue with harmonic nodes moving around due to string diameter, but that's waaaaaaay too anorak-y!

the bridge pickup on a strat is slanted so the spacing will match up with the width of the tremolo, this was started by evh with his guitar
Both for tonal reasons, and sometimes to make sure the poles line up with the strings
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by jthm72

the bridge pickup on a strat is slanted so the spacing will match up with the width of the tremolo, this was started by evh with his guitar

Are you sure? I've seen very old Strats that predate Eddie Van Halen with slanted bridge pickups.

Edit: In fact, you're wrong entirely. Telecasters had slanted pickups on from day one, as did the old Esquires, both of which have a fixed bridge.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Last edited by Caustic at Oct 14, 2007,
yeah that definately was not an EVH idea.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
I played a precision inat my local music shop and the inner to coils (A and D string) where raised, so the pick up where angled that way, does any one know why?

i hvae no idea what model precision it was though
Quote by jthm72

Noooooooo!

evh started what, with what, for what now?
'the spacing will match up with the width of the tremolo' - Eh?

Aaaah, I see what you did. It's a joke right?

I was under the impression it was for tonal reasons, slanting the p-ups boosts the bottom end and the top end 'cos of the slant.
Quote by Gunpowder
Sekhmet: Known for ritually sacrificing the innards of small woodland creatures.

Also, being a girly-girl.

Quote by Creepingjesus73
As for you, Mistress of Mayhem; just remember who it is who can lick * *** + *****'* **** *****out of the ****** of the ***!

Last edited by Sekhmet at Oct 14, 2007,
It seems many of us were wrong! On re-reading my copy of Prof. Arthur Montford's 'History Of The Electric Guitar From The Middle Ages', it appears that Da Vinci invented the concept of the slanted pickup, but was unable to do much about it. The Greeks and Romans, and Stradivarius had a go too, but were similarly unsuccessful. I am led to believe that C. Leo Fender did take up the idea sometime in 1947. He succeded by altering the concept slightly, so that the pickup is dead vertical, but the guitar is slanted.
Incidentally, while Googling for research, I found a very obscure cult of the Church of Metal (in a potato field in Idaho) who believe that the earth isn't tens of millions of years
old, but was in fact created 6000 years ago by Eddie van Halen. Quoth they - "And He didst create the Earth and all the kwl stuff therein on the first day, spending the next six days gurning and using all 16 of His fingers to tap a monster solo" And boy do they hate on Sammy Hagar!