do u guys alternate pick everything or just for soloing. my friend has more experience than i do and he says u have to alternate pick everything. what do u guys think?
no you dont HAVE to alternate pick everything, do whatever feels comfortable with what your playing. although i must say alternate picking makes things alot easier when you do it right, and although it might seem a bit tricky to learn at first, eventually it will become second nature and youll do it without even realizing it, so i suggest you to at least learn it even if your not using ALL the time.

for the most part i alternate pick the majority of my playing, but some riffs i find it easier to use other teqniques such as economy or sweep picking, and there are some riffs that just dont sound right unless you use only down picking or upstrokes or what have you.
member of the "proud owner of an Ibanez club" PM goldbuddist to join!

gear:
Deluxe Players Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez RG320FM
Standard Stratocaster
Fender FM212R
Digitech RP400
Last edited by Stratmaster69 at Oct 13, 2007,
Quote by MetalMusicianAl
all i've been using is downpicking,but my teacher gets angry when i down pick :'(

i suggest alternate picking then, it really is a great thing to learn, even if at first its frustrating and tricky, in the end its worth it

gear:
Ibanez RG320FM
Standard Stratocaster
Fender FM212R
Digitech RP400
it's just a different technique, it gives you different sounds and it applies at different moments

sometimes don't sound right while being alt picked, in other riffs you might need to use only downstrokes
Quote by MetalMusicianAl
yea im learning it right now im getting the hang of it,but need to work on speed,

youll get it soon enough man, its good to see your trying though, most beginners get pissy and complain about how they cant riff anymore because they have to practice other things, so its really good to see your giving it a shot. good luck bro

gear:
Ibanez RG320FM
Standard Stratocaster
Fender FM212R
Digitech RP400
I alternate pick pretty much everything, although nobody can tell you that you have to. I just find it helps with speed.
Tell me, who is this?
It's Mr. Lemon...
What are you doing here?
I'm off to the cupboard, where I keep the bodies...
Bad Mr. Lemon, bad lemon.