Hello, im looking for a set of pickups that are an alternative to emgs. I play heavy music, like Metal and rock, and also play some blues, and cleaner stuff.

Im looking for a bridge pickup that handles pinch harmonics very well, and can get very distorted while remaining clear. If possible I also want it to have a "vai" like tone.

Im looking for a neck pickup that is good for cleans, and has more of a fuller, sort of warm tone( not too warm though). I would like it to pick up harmonics good, and be able to get fairly distorted for soloing. I would mainly be using this one for cleans, and some soloing.

These are going into an Ibanez S320, which has a mahogony body.

I would prefer some type of Dimarzio, because i have Duncans in my LTD.

EDIT: I have narrowed it down to either a Tone Zone bridge, or a Breed bridge

Paf Pro neck, or Breed neck

im leaning towards a tone zone and breed combo, what are your thoughts?
Last edited by Wylde_Man at Oct 14, 2007,
try a duncan invader or gibson iommi in bridge and maybe a dimarzio from hell or whatever it's called in the neck otherwise stick with duncans
If you want a Vai tone, get the Dimarzio Evo in the bridge and the Breed in the neck
Quote by ToolBass_dude
Look on youtube.com- search "rediculously hard classical **** that no one in their right mind would try" and you'll find some 5 year old asian kids playing it
Quote by !xobile
If you want a Vai tone, get the Dimarzio Evo in the bridge and the Breed in the neck

+1
Quote by !xobile

how distorted can an evolution pickup get?

and what about an evo2?
Quote by Wylde_Man
how distorted can an evolution pickup get?

and what about an evo2?

seriously distorted, the problem with evo's is that they accentuate any sound, if you play cleanly, it'll sound like heaven, if you are sloppy, it would sound worst than playing sloppy with an average pickup
dude...do not get rid of the seymour duncans in your ltd, i just made that mistake...trust me keep them in...
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by bi-ah!
dude...do not get rid of the seymour duncans in your ltd, i just made that mistake...trust me keep them in...

im putting these in my ibanez... i said that in my thread
Quote by Wylde_Man
im putting these in my ibanez... i said that in my thread

lol. well then dang...i misread that, i just read duncans in ltd, alternative to emg...anyways...in an ibanez? the dimarzio pros would sound really cool. im pretty sure almost all ibanez players equip their guitars with dimarzio pick ups
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
DiMarzio + Ibanez = sex

I put a Steve's Special in the bridge position of my RG350EX and it sounds sweet. Vai-like tone, handles the harmonics, very little mud, ect.

Excellent pickup.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
If you want harmonics, it's all about the Fred and Mo'Joe. They can handle metal quite well too.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
why dont you just get the EMG's?
My Gear:

Epiphone
Zakk Wylde Custom Bullseye
Silvertone Sunburst Strat Copy
S101 Standard Black Strat Copy
Boss Distortion DS-1 F/S!!!
Arion Metal Master
Line 6 Spider III
15w P.O.S

Soon: Roland Cube 20x
I can't say it enough: DiMarzio Breeds KICK ASS!!! The Breed neck is the best neck PU I've ever used. The Breed bridge is some sweet... Though I found that my combo of a Breed in the neck and an X2N in the bridge of my RGA121 was all kinds of good beans. Plus the X2N is the hottest passive pickup out there.

EDIT: Don't get EMG actives, dude. I have them and they have no life compared to passives. Don't get me wrong they are clear as a bell, but with tube amps and pedals bringing new life to old sound why diminish it with compressing EMG actives?
Last edited by Johnny Two Tone at Oct 13, 2007,
Breed bridge / PAF Pro neck FTW!
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Hold on a sec here.

Did no-one ask what amp he has? Shame on you all.

What amp do you have TS?
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
They say the Dimarzio D'activators sound like active pickups. I heard in a Guitar world video and it sounded very nice.
^+1

Pair of Breeds - they're about the most versatile Dimarzios, all the other's would be pigeonholing your tone a little too much. If the bridge Breed is going to be a little too fat and warm for you stick a Norton in there - it's up there with the Evo and Fred for harmonics.

Blackouts? write out 100 times "I must not post on UG after smoking crack"
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Oct 14, 2007,
Im worried about the breed bridge being too warm. How would a Tone Zone do?
probably warmer.

what type of budget, and what's your amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Wylde_Man
Im worried about the breed bridge being too warm. How would a Tone Zone do?

I have a Breed bridge PU in my Les Paul Studio and, at least in that guitar, I can tell you it sure as hell isn't warm.