Hi all. I'm a guitar player, but I like to dabble in bass, too. However, when I play, I feel like I'm just playing basic stuff and not really adding much. My question is are there any ways I can play with more of a groove?
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
try to feel what ur playing move with it stick tight to the drum beat play u can play arpeggios n add fills but u have to remember to tie the rest of the band to the drums
I am me. Live with it.
focus on the drums more than the guitar. also, try to fill in space with your sound. but don't go over the top. you need to take rests and pauses. it's just like having a conversation.
Phish Phan
DeadHead
Moe.ron
If there's a jam out there, I'm probably listening to it.

Check out the Bodatious Banana Extravaganza: http://myspace.com/bbeboston
Quote by Hendrix4ever
it's just like having a conversation.

You know...that's probably the best analogy I've heard on the topic. And it's even more like a conversation if you start trading licks with the guitarist
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by Hendrix4ever
focus on the drums more than the guitar. also, try to fill in space with your sound. but don't go over the top. you need to take rests and pauses. it's just like having a conversation.

Damn good explanation, best way I've seen it put yet.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Quote by Hendrix4ever

This man knows what he is talking about.

It can be difficult to find the right notes, though. Even if you know some theory it can still be tough.
Quote by Hendrix4ever

My god man, you have just made every drummer on the planet a happy person. Great advice all round.
Dynamics. Take roots, then add volume and emphasis changes, as well as pauses. Then choose roots to let those ynamics flow (classically, acsending patterns for increasing volume and visa versa).
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1