...come christmas ill be getting a new guitar and a new effect pedal, here's what i have in mind...

Guitar: (one of the following, in order of most expensive to least, therefore less likely to get the higher it is)
-Epiphone Goth Explorer (Mahogany Body/Neck) $400
-Epiphone Goth V (Mahog Body/Neck, a little cooler lookin tho IMO) $300
-Ibanez RG321 (Mahog Body/Neck, not as cool looking but just the same wallop) $270
-Dean V (musiciansfriend didnt say specs, im guessing basswood) $250

i'm aware they're all fairly low-end guitars, but to be fair i don't need a 600$ guitar. playing all of these before, they all do me just fine. i'd like comments on what you have to say about these, not 'get such and such instead', unless any is really THAT bad you think. and please give reasons why.

Effects: (either or, id like insight on which)
-Boss GE-7 Equalizer Pedal $100, +$15 for power source
-BBE Sonic Stomp $100, includes power source

im kind of stumped between them...leaning towards EQ, hear great things about both tho.

what would anyone here say? keep in mind its not my money therefore i can't save for something 'better' and its a fairly tight budget...

the pedal is needed tho, considering my amp can get a decent metal tone (its a Vox ad50vt) it sounds too bassey, even with the bass at 1. as of now im playing a Schecter Omen 6 thru it, and it sounds good generally, just bassey.

my music is mainly old school thrash metal kinda sound, like Exodus, Destruction and Kreator. my band is in my sig if that helps you see what im going for.

so guys, any insight on what would be the best combo for a preferrably cheap-ish price?
What guitar do you have at the moment?
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
If you're playing the Schecter already, wouldn't you be downgrading? But I guess I would go for the Epiphone Goth Explorer. I don't know about the effects pedal though.
Be cool.
I'd try and get a used yamaha sgb2000 or something - I wouldn't bother with effects so much tbh.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

I wouldn't go for the dean, low costing materials and bad pickups.
The pickups in the goth explorer and V are probably going to be the same with minor differences.
The ibanez's stock pickups aren't much to shout about either, but if you shred the Ibanez is for you.
I'd say it was between the Ibanez and the Epi's
Perhaps a new set of pickups? Sounds like the stock pickups are a little too muddy for your tastes, so you could go the dimarzio route and get something a lot more trebly. Or go the active route with EMGs for a serious metal tone.

as for effects, I'm saying this mainly because I own it, but have you considered any of the newer digtech processors with the audioDNA2 chips. I have the Rp350 and its really great sounding and because you can have both an EQ and an amp EQ, you can really shape the sound to exactly what you want.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
^ nah, the schecter as is is fine. ill get new pickups down the road but atm its fine. the amp is really bass heavy is the problem, any other guitars are the same way. thus, the EQ pedal to enhance it. and my Vox is a modeling amp, mind you, so the rp350 wouldnt be what im looking for. i have all the settings i need on the amp, and a good tone to boot, albeit bassey.

and yeah i figured as much about the Explorer/V, but the explorer is so damn cool looking. not sure if its worth the extra 100$ tho.

anyone have anything to say about the V vs the RG? shredding's important but so is a good rhythm crunch.
Quote by tehbensonzorz
^ nah, the schecter as is is fine. ill get new pickups down the road but atm its fine. the amp is really bass heavy is the problem, any other guitars are the same way. thus, the EQ pedal to enhance it. and my Vox is a modeling amp, mind you, so the rp350 wouldnt be what im looking for. i have all the settings i need on the amp, and a good tone to boot, albeit bassey.

and yeah i figured as much about the Explorer/V, but the explorer is so damn cool looking. not sure if its worth the extra 100$ tho.

anyone have anything to say about the V vs the RG? shredding's important but so is a good rhythm crunch.

Have you thought of getting an Agile guitar? You can get a mahogany body with EMG pickups for dirt cheap. That may give you the crunch you want. Also there are quite a few neck-throughs for a good price so playability will be excellent
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
get an amp stand, i had the same problem, i'm not ****ting you, an amp stand will take the bass away (assuming you have something around the amp) but setting it on the floor will seriously make it soudn way too bassy, i know what you're talking about, i bought an amp stand from guitar center (about 30 bucks) and it fixed the problem
Quote by DagMX
Perhaps a new set of pickups? Sounds like the stock pickups are a little too muddy for your tastes, so you could go the dimarzio route and get something a lot more trebly. Or go the active route with EMGs for a serious metal tone.

as for effects, I'm saying this mainly because I own it, but have you considered any of the newer digtech processors with the audioDNA2 chips. I have the Rp350 and its really great sounding and because you can have both an EQ and an amp EQ, you can really shape the sound to exactly what you want.

what about the RP250?
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
Quote by Pinky19
what about the RP250?

the rop250 and 350 are pretty much the same except the 350 has both stereo XLR and stereo 1/4" outputs and a few more patches and effects. It also has an A/B switch for amp and eqs so I can have two sets of amps with their eqs per patch and flip between them keeping the effects the same.

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Instead of the Epi Explorer, how about a Agile Ghost?
http://www.rondomusic.com/product768.html
That + some new pickups= Great guitar

Edit: Oh, just read that one post.
Well in that case, I would go with the Epi Explorer
Last edited by rockr09 at Oct 15, 2007,