a milisecond
0 0%
a second
7 17%
> a second
8 19%
Voters: 42.
How soon is now?

(I effectively chose a logarithmic scale to the base 1000 for the poll options so that I can cater for as many tastes as possible)
Quote by GlamSpam

I developed a thought experiment to explain why you can't remember anything before you were born:
Now is less then a picosecond. Its whats happening while you say "now." No time passes.
c4c

Quote by ckellingc

So I threw a rock at her.

Fuck heelies.
... Now is now. It's not even infinitely close to zero seconds, it's zero seconds from now.
I'm a communist. Really.
less than 1 yocto second. 1.00 x 10^-24 second.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
now is not an amount of time - its just now...
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
Quote by Raziel2p
... Now is now. It's not even infinitely close to zero seconds, it's zero seconds from now.

but if thats true now doesnt exist
It doesn't exist. By the time you've finished uttering the "w", it's already passed.
Quote by instagata0
now is not an amount of time - its just now...

genius, pure genius. not sarcasm, it's really probably the best answer
Quote by Joshrocker48
I like you, as a fellow vocalist I like that you are here on UG and admit to not being a guitarist.
Bravo.

Quote by arsonite
GTFO non-guitarist!

Joke
Quote by djmay71
im SO confused...i don't understand... >.<

you're not the only one!
Quote by rockybo
I'm making an igloo in my backyard later and smoking a bong in it.
|------------|--------------|
past------now--------future

now is the line between the past and future. it is represented by that line, which is as thick as it is (taking up as much time as thickness). but if you zoomed in, the line that is now would not get thicker, you would just get a more precise measurement of what time is, and that is endless. now is just now. its not a measurement of anything. it exists, but not as a time
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Wait a second.... how are those measurements of time based on a log scale?

Well, because they would be linear if you drew them on a log to the base 1000 time scale. It would go:

Wheras on your regular scale it goes:

10^-12
10^-9
10^-6
10^-3

Which isn't really as nice a pattern.
Quote by GlamSpam

I developed a thought experiment to explain why you can't remember anything before you were born:
guys seriously its simple, just think of it like any mathematical limit, it gets infinitely close to nothing without actually becoming nothing
Time is simply a concept of the mind that humans only use as a structure to judge the occurences in a sequence and to plan events that they know are going to happen or plan to happen.
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
I vote this the worst attempt at a pseudo-intellectual thread in all of UG history.

Well, with the sole exception being that one "existentialist" guy...
Quote by Deliriumbassist
But all it seems to me is, you've chosen established standard prefixes for measurements of time. There's no need to have "used logs" (which in all fairness was done for you by people who established the prefixes).

Sorry, I didn't mean for it to seem that I was bragging about "using logs". I'm a fourth year engineering student and I would pick something else to brag about if I were to brag about any intellectualism.

I was just explaining why I used those measurements rather than, say:

quarter of a second
half a second
three quarters of a second
a second

Quote by yawn
I vote this the worst attempt at a pseudo-intellectual thread in all of UG history.

Well, with the sole exception being that one "existentialist" guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2NrIALcNOw

I jest.
Quote by GlamSpam

Quote by suffer some
Sorry, I didn't mean for it to seem that I was bragging about "using logs". I'm a fourth year engineering student and I would pick something else to brag about if I were to brag about any intellectualism.

I was just explaining why I used those measurements rather than, say:

quarter of a second
half a second
three quarters of a second
a second

Well, I would've used the standard form/prefix ones myself as well, as a Biomed student. However, the entire logs thing did seem pretentious and unnecessary
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Well, I would've used the standard form/prefix ones myself as well, as a Biomed student. However, the entire logs thing did seem pretentious and unnecessary

The whole thread is pretentious and unnecessary.

Quote by We'realltoBlame
Time is simply a concept of the mind that humans only use as a structure to judge the occurences in a sequence and to plan events that they know are going to happen or plan to happen.

Kudos on your serious and well-thought-out insight. It's more than I can manage.
Quote by GlamSpam

Quote by Deliriumbassist

point taken.

Now to make a 32 minute long song about it with 17 different time sigs, with ambiguous religiously based lyrics about the thread

I'll play lead. Let me just take 3 strings off, tune to drop F, then unplug my guitar and go downstairs for a tea break.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by We'realltoBlame

[sarcasm]Who needs a 4th dimension? fuck it.[/sarcasm]
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥