Ok, here is the deal. So i have a Crate Palomino v16 amp. I love it BUT its only one channel. This is a problem because i play a lot of ska/punk and have to switch from clean to distorted often.

So i have been trying out pedals, and obviously i went to overdrive pedals first, but the thing is, they dont get heavy enough to be used with the clean. And im worried about distortion pedals because people say that using a distortion pedal takes away from the tube amp's tone.

So i tried the boss overdrive/distortion today and was liking it, but wanted to know if there were any other pedals i should be looking at? I used to have a DS-1 that i liked the sound of, but again, its just a distortion pedal.

Thanks in advance guys!
Quote by anti_flag_army
Ok, here is the deal. So i have a Crate Palomino v16 amp. I love it BUT its only one channel. This is a problem because i play a lot of ska/punk and have to switch from clean to distorted often.

So i have been trying out pedals, and obviously i went to overdrive pedals first, but the thing is, they dont get heavy enough to be used with the clean. And im worried about distortion pedals because people say that using a distortion pedal takes away from the tube amp's tone.

So i tried the boss overdrive/distortion today and was liking it, but wanted to know if there were any other pedals i should be looking at? I used to have a DS-1 that i liked the sound of, but again, its just a distortion pedal.

Thanks in advance guys!

Boss MT-2
MXR or somebody has a cool Boost/Overdrive pedal, I think. Lemme check...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXR-Custom-Audio-Electronics-MC402-BoostOverdrive-Pedal?sku=151126
You could use the OD to push your amp harder, and add the boost to push it ever harder (and louder) than that.

Another option I'd reccomend is trying out a couple of those analog digitech boxes. The Bad Monkey, Hot Head, Grunge, and a few other of their distortion boxes are analog, and supposedly better at not killing your tone.
Quote by Tirkaz
Boss MT-2

Um... no. I can get decent tones out of my MT-2 on a solid state but on a tube amp it sounds like complete crap.

I'll second the Jekyll and Hyde, great pedal.

TS, did you try out a TS-808?

How much gain do you need? - What are you going to be playing?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Um... no. I can get decent tones out of my MT-2 on a solid state but on a tube amp it sounds like complete crap.

I'll second the Jekyll and Hyde, great pedal.

TS, did you try out a TS-808?

How much gain do you need? - What are you going to be playing?

I have considered a tube screamer, but havent played one yet. I only need like medium gain, nothing like metal status. Like i said, i play mostly ska/punk. Im kinda leaning to the jekyll & hyde now.
Quote by anti_flag_army
I have considered a tube screamer, but havent played one yet. I only need like medium gain, nothing like metal status. Like i said, i play mostly ska/punk. Im kinda leaning to the jekyll & hyde now.

I'd try out all the ones I could before I bought one (I'm currently going through that right now on an OD as well, but I don't play the same stuff as you and wouldn't be using it for the same reason).

If you get a chance to try out the TS-9/TS-808, consider buying a Maxon OD-9 or OD-808 if you like them. The OD-808 is cheaper than the TS-808 and is better (imo), Maxon is also the ones that made the original tubescreamers so technically their OD-808 isn't a "re-issue" like the TS-808.

I'd also suggest the Fulltone OCD/Fulldrive 2, but they can be hard to find one to try. Also, a BBE Boosta Grande or Green Screamer might do the trick as well. But, like I said, just try out everything you can
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i really like tube screamers for that mid level gain, and i think the 808 does it better than the 9. i usually use mine as a solo boost with the gain low and level up, but it does also sound nice the other way around. i wasnt a huge fan of the jekyll and hyde when i tried it, but it was mostly that i just didnt like the voicing. its a nice pedal, just wasnt my sound, so its worth a try. the BBE green screamer is supposed to sound like a more transparent tube screamer type od, but i havent really tried it.

about distortion pedals, they dont ruin your tone like people say they do. that stereotype is just from people playing crappy digital distortions through a tube amp. a nice analog distortion can nicely complement a tube amp.