I just bought the ashdown MAG C410T-300 Combo and love it to peices, but everytime i play with my band and The Vu meter occasionally hit the red, My guitarest has a fit and tells my im gonna break my amp.
Were is the "safe zone" for the Vu meter and what is it actually measuring?

Im also planning on getting another MAG 115 Deep Cabinet to put in the Speaker output what with this affect with the VU meter?
Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
My VU needle not only went into the red, but it bought a condo and vacationed there.

I only had one problem ever, my head for some reason just shut off. I walked over, turned the switch off, then back on, and it continued to work fine. That was the only problem I ever had with my Mag 300.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Yeh it said it measured the imput BUt im a noob to the subject and needed more info.
If you don't want the meter to go in the red, always keep your output level higher than your input level and watch your mids. Once you start pushing the output level pass the input level it will cause various levels of distortion and grit causing your meter to go into the red while this is going on and you have to much mids it will push into the red even more.
The instruction manual tells you that for optimum performance, you should have the needle dancing around the red line, it depends how hard you want to drive your preamp really but with a solid state you don't want to be driving it too hard.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
The instruction manual tells you that for optimum performance, you should have the needle dancing around the red line, it depends how hard you want to drive your preamp really but with a solid state you don't want to be driving it too hard.

That's not necessarily true at all, it's just a preference if your looking for more grit/distortion. The less the needle is in the red the cleaner your rig will sound especially if you keep your output level higher than your input level.
Quote by FullMetalBass
Will the needle being in the red cause any harm?

Not at all, it's just an indicator of how much grit will be coming out of your amp and how hard you're pushing the amp.
I find it amusing that they call it a "Deep" cabinet considering it's only what, sixteen inches deep? GK's cabinets are eighteen inches deep, but you don't hear them bragging about it.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by Jauqo III-X
Not at all, it's just an indicator of how much grit will be coming out of your amp and how hard you're pushing the amp.

I'd prefer not to push it. I've had experience with cheap gear where it actually undoes the soldering after a couple of months when you clip it constantly....
Quote by Jauqo III-X
That's not necessarily true at all, it's just a preference if your looking for more grit/distortion. The less the needle is in the red the cleaner your rig will sound especially if you keep your output level higher than your input level.

No not in all cases, I use an ABM with a valve preamp and like to drive it quite hard for a little grit in my tone, but I have NEVER found an SS amp which sounds nice when it's being pushed hard.
Quote by Bumper

Quote by indie-bassist
No not in all cases, I use an ABM with a valve preamp and like to drive it quite hard for a little grit in my tone, but I have NEVER found an SS amp which sounds nice when it's being pushed hard.

You're right and again it goes back to preference.

I've been using Ashdown rigs for over 10 years and have done so with various eq settings etc.

http://www.ashdownmusic.com/artists/detail.asp?ID=50
Last edited by Jauqo III-X at Oct 14, 2007,
Quote by Jauqo III-X
You're right and again it goes back to preference.

I've been using Ashdown rigs for over 10 years and have done so with various eq settings etc.

http://www.ashdownmusic.com/artists/detail.asp?ID=50

Sweet, oooh a Mark King, what are those things like? I've got the chrome rackmounted ABM head and have been nothing but pleased with it so far, I've yet to test it in a live situation but in a band situation, with guitarists using an FA60 and Marshall half stack it's cut through and sounded great and I didn't have to push it at all, really nice after owning a Behringer for 2 years which was constantly maxed out and never cut through that great.
Quote by Bumper

What's the harmonic emphasis like on that? Do you get much use out of it?

Sounds pretty cool, what are the basses you use?

Oh yeah, that, yeah I was, sorry about that I usually side with the regs because they're mates yunno.

Quote by Bumper

Quote by indie-bassist
What's the harmonic emphasis like on that?

If you want more hi-fi presence and you can you use if you want your bass to cut through just a little bit more. It kind of has a brightness that's like that of a new set of round wounds.

Quote by indie-bassist
Sounds pretty cool, what are the basses you use?

The basses I used on that gig, were my fretted and fretless Lakland 4-94's.

Quote by indie-bassist
Oh yeah, that, yeah I was, sorry about that I usually side with the regs because they're mates yunno.

Sometimes being a follower can get you in a situation that may be hard for you to get out of.
Quote by Jauqo III-X
If you want more hi-fi presence and you can you use if you want your bass to cut through just a little bit more. It kind of has a brightness that's like that of a new set of round wounds.

Sounds cool, I love the sub-harmonics to really thicken out my sound though.

Quote by Jauqo III-X
The basses I used on that gig, were my fretted and fretless Lakland 4-94's.

Oooh nice, I really want to get my hands on a Lakland but no local shops stock them usually.

Quote by Jauqo III-X
Sometimes being a follower can get you in a situation that may be hard for you to get out of.

Mmm yes, I've realised that, you'd think I'd have learned by now eh?
Quote by Bumper

I too am sorry for sorta instigating the whole flaming yesterday.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
When you really get to grips with the amp you'll get used to the difference in tone between low input, high output and the reverse. On my 400W MAG I find there's more low end with input maxed. I wouldn't worry about the needle being in the red.
And what about the MAG 115 Deep Cabinet how will that go?