Hey guys, I recently moved into a house with some other room mates near our campus. I want to be able to turn up my amp past 2 without disturbing them. Any cheap ways to soundproof a room?

Any help would be appreciated.
http://www.foambymail.com/

Haven't tried their own stuff, but i've used other kinds similar, and it works sweet.
Also, try playing in a confined area and stuff feather pillows in front of your amp. It scoops your mids somehow too.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
The cheapest way to dampen sound is to slap EMPTY (hehe) egg cartons to the walls (or at least the roof).

For real products try out some foam from Auralex. Brand name stuff is going to be expensive for no good reason so you can do as the other poster said and buy some bulk stuff from foambymail. Just buy blocks of it ad cut it into wacky shapes and ridges. The cut shape of the foam is what does the dampening - not the thickness. So, you don't need a lot.
Quote by Johnny Two Tone
The cheapest way to dampen sound is to slap EMPTY (hehe) egg cartons to the walls (or at least the roof).

For real products try out some foam from Auralex. Brand name stuff is going to be expensive for no good reason so you can do as the other poster said and buy some bulk stuff from foambymail. Just buy blocks of it ad cut it into wacky shapes and ridges. The cut shape of the foam is what does the dampening - not the thickness. So, you don't need a lot.

There was a thread about soundproofing some time ago, where someone posted a link to a site which had info on soundproofing. Basically said egg cartons won't work.

Also, AFAIK, cut shapes of foam absorb some sound, but it won't do much of a sound proofing. Try searching for that other thread.
Quote by Johnny Two Tone

Egg cartons do not work at all. They help by reducing reflected sound, but that's basically it.
The cheapest solution is hanging some really thick carpet about 2" from your wall, leaving that air gap in there. This will also help with reflected sound too.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
There is a difference between brand-name stuff and just slapping foam on your walls. The difference is a normal room vs. a re-enactment of a certain Great White concert the first time some drunken moron flicks his Bic.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by the_random_hero
Egg cartons do not work at all. They help by reducing reflected sound, but that's basically it.
The cheapest solution is hanging some really thick carpet about 2" from your wall, leaving that air gap in there. This will also help with reflected sound too.

Egg Cartons work well actually, the practice studio I used to go to used to use them.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
I know you want to soundproof, but it'd probably easier (maybe even cheaper?) to get an attenuator.
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
Egg Cartons work well actually, the practice studio I used to go to used to use them.

There are two principles to soundproofing. Sound absorption and sound blockage. Egg cartons provide none of those. The studio most likely used them for sound diffraction, and any soundproofing ability the studio had was due to the wall structure (what's inside it, like cement or stone is an excellent sound blocker...and probably had a sound absorption layer too, like some kind of foam.).

Quote by Fama
There was a thread about soundproofing some time ago, where someone posted a link to a site which had info on soundproofing. Basically said egg cartons won't work.

Also, AFAIK, cut shapes of foam absorb some sound, but it won't do much of a sound proofing. Try searching for that other thread.
I think that was me.